Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
My buddy and I installed pro4x bilsteins to my 2018 SV midnight...

After driving it 50 miles I started to hear a slight pop from bad bumps... a couple miles later, every slight imperfection in the road causes rattling, popping and just bad noises from the passenger side front.

pics below

these two are from the drivers side. this looks to be installed correctly.

passenger side. that center pin/bushing seems to be sitting much higher than drivers side.

we installed on a lift with air tools, took maybe 2 hours to do.

for 40-50 miles it was perfect. no noise.... then now it sounds like a rickety bucket of bolts driving down the road.

anyone know why that one is so much higher? how do we fix this?

thanks guys......

·
Registered
288 Posts
Does the front sit level side to side?

·
Registered
149 Posts
There are some washers involved with the Bilsteins. If you used the factory hardware from the SV, that is your problem.

Read this thread from the beginning:

Beware bilstein 5100 owners https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=90735&share_tid=65258&url=https://www.clubfrontier.org/index.php?threads/Beware-bilstein-5100-owners.65258/&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Without seeing what you did I can’t say. Could be the drivers side just hasn’t broken through yet.

It’s definitely an installation error, and the problem is not just the boot, it’s a washer that needs to be installed that probably wasn’t. If you got just the shocks, and they didn’t come with all the hardware, you’re missing some parts.

·
Registered
149 Posts
so I need to order those parts?
If I were you, I’d look at the expanded parts diagram for a pro-4x. You’ll see what parts are supposed to be there, and how they should be assembled. Then take that thing apart, see what you’re missing or what you put in the wrong place, and rectify the situation.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
You are suppose to reuse the bottom washer. The stack up is VERY important. Look on the diagram. Without the washer the load of the vehicle is placed between the rubber bushing and a tiny step on the shock shaft. It doesn't take long for the shock shaft to push through the bushing. In addition to the washer the boot spacer acts as a support the load and needs to be in place. The new boot will have this spacer too. If you don't want to run the boot you need to cut out the spacer and install in the stack.

Someone post this happening every month/couple of months. After just reading the title I suspected that your install was incorrect and were missing the lower washer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dude I am just trying to figure this out today... the gentleman I bought the shocks form said to get a grade 8 washer.... anyone know what diameter to get? I don't know how big these things are supposed to be...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are suppose to reuse the bottom washer. The stack up is VERY important. Look on the diagram. Without the washer the load of the vehicle is placed between the rubber bushing and a tiny step on the shock shaft. It doesn't take long for the shock shaft to push through the bushing. In addition to the washer the boot spacer acts as a support the load and needs to be in place. The new boot will have this spacer too. If you don't want to run the boot you need to cut out the spacer and install in the stack.

Someone post this happening every month/couple of months. After just reading the title I suspected that your install was incorrect and were missing the lower washer.
is the bottom washer the thing inside the stock boot?

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you look closely at that thread i linked above, there a LOTS of pictures showing exactly what you need. Look at the pictures. You can look at the pictures and compare to what you have. Pull the one side out, disassemble, and compare.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
is the bottom washer the thing inside the stock boot?
Boot spacer, then the bottom washer. Reuse the bottom washer from your old shock.

This the a better thread.

Sucks the diagram is not there any more. OK found it somewhere else in this thread

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boot spacer, then the bottom washer. Reuse the bottom washer from your old shock.

This the a better thread.

Sucks the diagram is not there any more. OK found it somewhere else in this thread

this is very helpful. I think I need the bottom washer. can I reuse the stock boot washer as a lower washer?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
this is very helpful. I think I need the bottom washer. can I reuse the stock boot washer as a lower washer?
NO you can not substitute a 2nd boot spacer instead of the bottom washer. You need to reuse your bottom washer from your old shock. If you threw away your old bottom washer, then any thick washer will work better than no washer. The lower washers or cupped boot washers support the rubber bushing. Without these you'll run into the issue you experienced.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts