Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PRG suspension kit consist of SPC UCA, PRG aluminum coil over, Deaver aal, Bilstien 5100.

It took me some time. I had trouble on the UCA on the driver side and cutting the coil bucket.

I also installed oem cam bolts.

2018 Pro 4x - 2.5" front, 2" back lift

Thanks to this forum i was able to complete the installation.

Here are some installation pix

·
Registered
2014 Crew Cab SV 4x4
161 Posts
So what are your first impressions on the aluminum coilovers? I've been looking at them but they are so new that not many people are using them yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not driven the car yet. I need to have my car aligned. I went with prg coil overs instead of the radflo's because it has a compression adjustment and less maintenance according to Greg. The coil over has an eibach spring (rated 650 lbs) and the shock is made by Aldan American. I will going off road in two weeks to test my set up compared to stock and hopefully i can give you an answer.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Good job!
I wanna get this kit again for my 2012, I didn't have to cut the coil bucket on my 2008. I was thinking about getting the SPC UCA's but spending extra on the PRG UCA's seems worthwhile since you don't need to mod the coil bucket.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
The trimming of the coil bucket is so that ball joint boots do not contact and tear. The prg uca uses uniballs that do not contact the cb.
The open uni and hemi joints of the prg require maintenance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went on a little run on a fire road. I was not able to go to the trails because of the fires here in SoCal. Way better than my stock suspension. It was comfortable going 30 to 40 mph on the dirt and sand. I have the shock setting to the max compression (Soft ride). I believe the PRG coil over is the best bang for your buck which can give you compression adjustment. Although Adan American shock has been around, this shock is new on the offroad crowd. Only time will tell if it will hold up to the abuse compared to the well known manufacturers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update on the PRG coilovers: It felt great on the black diamond trails. The PRG is comfortable compared to my friend's icons in his tacoma. I am not sure how they compare with the radflos but i believe the PRG coilovers can give you more adjustabilty on the stiffness of your shock and they are cheaper.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Am I reading this wrong? More compression damping could make for a stiffer, not softer ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
@Fidelljf how are the shocks holding up? I just looked up on the Xterra forum and a few people have had the springs come off of them and one had one completely ripped in half!!!! Any issues so far?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Shocks are good. No problems so far after the rebuild.
after the rebuild.... what/when did you do a rebuild? Was it to fix the top plate issue?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The cap of the oil reservoir popped out for me. I took it to Aldan American for warranty and they took care of both my shock. I think i have picture on the other forum.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Update :

Do not buy these if you offroad. These coilovers failed again. This is the second time View attachment 335698
DAMN AGAIN?!?! I was just going to get this setup.... ugh....
So what are your plans now? You switching to Radflo or Bilstein?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Update :

Do not buy these if you offroad. These coilovers failed again. This is the second time View attachment 335698
IMHO I'd recommend Bilstein 5100s or 6112. I have the 6112s and they ride great and handle off-roading very well. No complaints whatsoever.

Reactions: RobFrisco415

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Looks like your missing a top washer/plate and the rubber bushing just pulls through. ???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update :

Do not buy these if you offroad. These coilovers failed again. This is the second time

DAMN AGAIN?!?! I was just going to get this setup.... ugh....
So what are your plans now? You switching to Radflo or Bilstein?
I took it to Aldan American to get it rebuilt. The tech told me that the shock is getting stressed at full droop and suggested to get some limiting straps. That makes sense since there is nothing preventing my shocks to get full extention since i trimmed the coil bucket. Anywho, i will be saving for a Titan swap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts