Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3” SL is finally done. I ended up getting the full kit from AC, it was just easier to get it all shipped at once since I had to cross the line to pick it up. I'm also pretty happy with our new house and the flat driveway/carport where i can do stuff now.

Here are a few pics of before, the install and after. It took me almost 10 days start to finish. Mostly worked after work, but spent at least 3 full days on it as well. Every bolt and part was a struggle with rust and seized parts. I knew it would be and had been soaking everything with liquid wrench and various products for a week before, but still, what a nightmare. It wasn’t uncommon to be spending 2 to 3 hours on some parts.

I learned a lot during the process and I love it now. But if I didn’t have my Altima and my wife not working during the summer so I could drive it to work this would have not happened since it took longer than the first weekend I thought it would. Not to mention the constant trips to the hardware/parts/tool stores in town for things I didn’t consider.
Here are some of the highlights (lowlights) when I did remember to take pictures. At times it was so stressful I forgot to take pics, lol.

Before,

The kit

Cutting off ubolts after giving up on taking them off. They were less than a year old so i thought they would be okay. Guess our winter wasn't kind to them. One of the many trips into town for parts, should have just ordered new bolts in the first place.

hightech spring pack install tool

New Spring Pack, I left my original add aleaf on as well as the overload leaf

Fkin ball joint, ended up buying a pickle fork and using the back of my big axe to break it free, one of the bigger PIA's

Carnage from removing A arm, ended up cutting it off just to get to the camber bolt to cut that off. Spent over 5 hours getting this off, in the end I took a day off work, used 4 cut off wheels, bought a new reciprocating saw and used 5 new blades on that.

Yes, I installed it upside down, just the way things were going for me haha

Alignment

And finally done.

Little more space

And a bath on the front lawn.

·
Registered
258 Posts
:goodjob: Looks very nice!!!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
i LOVE yellow first gens

pleaseeeeee get some black steelies

at only 40 bucks a pop its worth it n will look titties!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Nice :thumbup:

So what did you think of the ride and the elevated view?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow that looked like a big headache, but it definitely looks like it paid off! How much did that kit run you?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
were you the one that was talking about getting the deluxe a/c lift a few months back? anyways, truck looks great.

·
Registered
890 Posts
damn im jealous i need to get that kit eventually, hows the ride?

·
Registered
63 Posts
looks nice! so you have a B/L installed as well. Looks > 3" to me or are my eyes deceiving me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
i LOVE yellow first gens

pleaseeeeee get some black steelies

at only 40 bucks a pop its worth it n will look titties!
Yeah I don't know whats up with the yellow. People either love it or hate it, I had friends over last night, one loved it, and one actually said they thought it looked awful, to my face! I like it.

Why steelies? you like the look of them? I might switch rims when I get new tires, but I actually like the look of the stock rims... plus I'm not sure that up here I could find new 16" steelies for 40 bucks each.

Nice :thumbup:

So what did you think of the ride and the elevated view?
Love the view. The ride hasn't really changed so far, but I've only been on the street. But, that comes with a big but. As I mentioned, I had problems with every part and every bolt coming off my truck. That drivers side A-arm would hardly move even with my breaker bar and a 4 foot pipe on the end of it. Same with the passenger side tbar, it wasn't moving/flexing at all, plus the front shocks were original and had nothing left. Soooo, I can't say if its better over stock or not, because everything stock was in such bad shape.

Wow that looked like a big headache, but it definitely looks like it paid off! How much did that kit run you?
Still adding it up... so far I have the kit 950, plus the conversion to Canadian, plus driving down to pick it up. Then add over 100 for shipping, and 130 for duty at the border. Hmm, what else. Oh Ubolts on a weekend from the only store that had them, 80 bucks. Tools (pickle fork, reciprocating saw, blades, cut off wheels, 3 cans liquid wrench, butane torch, drill bit) so around 300. Alignment, 70. Not my cheapest mod...

were you the one that was talking about getting the deluxe a/c lift a few months back? anyways, truck looks great.
Hmm, not sure if it was me you are thinking about. I commented in someone else’s thread about it. I wanted the AAL, and goign with them was the only way I could get the whole kit shipped together, in order for me to drive to a shipping place across the line and get it all at once.

Thanks.

Looks great :thumbsup: Get those sliders angled up and it'll be even better!
Thanks :) yeah, I want to redo the mounts, so they might get a different angle. But, not all of us have 4x4 wifes/girlfriends as into it as you are! My wife likes the sliders because she can use them to get into the truck, so we’ll see ;)

I like it. I probably would've gotten pissed off and quit if it took that long on some parts. Good job, keep up the good work.
So many times I asked myself why I started this on my own… but I really had no option with it sitting on jackstands in my garage, lol
looks nice! so you have a B/L installed as well. Looks > 3" to me or are my eyes deceiving me.
No BL. So not sure, I can compare measurements with anyone if they are interested.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
i saw a first gen yellow frontier with steelies and black head and taillights and it just looked sophisticated. idk why

im sure shipping to canada wont be that much, it only cost me 20 bucks through 4wheelparts to get mine, so prolly 50 for you

mine are the better pro comps

check em out on 4 wheel parts, there a little bit heavy but VERY strong and VERY nice

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
That looks great.

You are a man of determination, I'll say that.
I would have been saying some choice words and walking away for a while to cool off based on what you say you went through.
Now you understand why shops want to charge an arm and a leg to install kits like that.

It's amazing sometimes, the difference between the amount of time you estimate a project will take you and the amount of time it actually does.

Good job! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Looks great man! Working in Flip Flops. A big NO NO.

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
Looks great man! Working in Flip Flops. A big NO NO.
Truth! lol. Flip flops in/around garages/tools tends to not end well.

im sure shipping to canada wont be that much, it only cost me 20 bucks through 4wheelparts to get mine, so prolly 50 for you
Shipping anything to Canada sucks for those guys. All the extra taxes and crap they have to pay to get it through customs.

Black 16" steelies from summit racing: Cragar 3977860P - Cragar Soft 8 Wheels – SummitRacing.com

$62 each - big difference from the 15" ones.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What size tires are those? Good looking truck!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts