Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Subaru compass, auto-dimming, Homelink Mirror tonight in my '09 SE Crew. Bought the mirror brand new from Subaru because their mirrors for the 2010 Legacy & Outbacks have orange compass displays that match the Fronty's dash lighting.

I'll get pic's up tomorrow as I just finished it up and I'm tired! :lol:

The P/N from Subaru is H501SAJ100 and was around $200.

I did have to run the wires down the A-pillar for Acc power and ground but it only took about an hour and looks/works great.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Sounds great and can't wait to see the photos.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
SOunds like a good deal. Another reason I bought my LE though, it already had a compass and temp mirror. (not orange though) Post some pics!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I used EB_05_NISMO's instructions quite a bit to help with my install: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f9/gentex-50-genk2a-auto-dimming-mirror-install-lots-pics-56k-warning-28446/

One of the nice things about the Subaru mirror is the compass reading is displayed on top of the mirror reflective surface so if the compass is turned off there is no empty black block where the display was. It also fits the Nissan windsheild mount perfectly and includes the mirror, harness with 10" of wire and the wire cover between the mirror and the headliner. It is offered with or without the Homelink feature and is made by Gentex.

I started by removing the factory mirror, map lights and interior trim to run the wires.

The 3-wire harness that comes with the Subaru mirror had three black wires, luckily I work for Subaru and know their sequence (in order):
1) Black w/white stripe (Ground)
2) Black (12v-Acc)
3) Black (Back Up Light Switch) *I didn't use this wire

I used red & black 18ga stranded automotive wire to extend the two wires I used about 5-ft long, black being ground and red being 12v-Acc. I ran the wire along the factory map light wire harness zip tying it every several inches, following it down the a-pillar under the drivers side dash. I then slipped the new mirror over the windsheild mount and tightened the set screw. I connected the mirror harness connector to the mirror and installed the wire cover, then reinstalled the map lights and a-pillar trim.

Under the dash I ran the ground wire to an available bolt on the dash support beam using a ground ring. On my 2009 I used a t-tap to connect the red wire I ran to the white wire w/green strip that was in the location indicated on the picture below. (Note: the picture is from EB_05_NISMO's install so the wire is not actually shown, I forgot to take a pic of this while it was apart).

Once both these were secure I tested the mirror, it worked perfectly. I then secured the excess wire with wire ties and reinstalled the rest of the interior pieces I had removed.

Final product (daytime):

Final product (nighttime):

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
You can ground to a bolt above the mirror under the headliner. Saves you the trouble of unnecessarily running an extra wire to the dash for ground. I believe there are at least four bolts in the maplight area. For acc. power, I'd use a wire from the ignition harness directly under the harness you used. More hefty wires and power that can handle a tap imo.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
i just got a power mirror and was wondering if i could just tap into the hot map light wire??

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I think Subaru pre-wires for the compass mirror and it's an easy plug-and-play install. I wish Nissan did the same.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts