Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Im thinking of an ingen. I had a nismo on my 05 frontier and now for my 08 I am leaning toward an ingen. How is the quality of the product? the welds and finish stuff like that is what I look for.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Good stuff. I'm really toying with the idea of firing the Volant out the window while doing 80mph down I-84 and getting an INJEN. Do you notice any higher intake temps with the INJEN since it's a metal tube/box? What sort of sound does it spit out (I don't mean roar, I mean like the air sucking you get with an open element filter)?

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Im thinking of an ingen. I had a nismo on my 05 frontier and now for my 08 I am leaning toward an ingen. How is the quality of the product? the welds and finish stuff like that is what I look for.
The quality is good, and the black crinkle finish is holding up well. My intake is just about 3 years old and the only quality problem I have noticed is the paint flaking on the bracket.

There are a couple small downsides to the intake. One is that you have to take the airbox apart to get to the filter, but you need to do that anyways if you want to clean the screens. Two is that the main body of the airbox is two pieces screwed together. While cleaning it I noticed I could see a little light through the seam (see picture 4 for the seam in the box), but I'll seal that with some silicone the next time I clean it. And third is one of the bolt heads on the airbox (intake tube side) may rub a hose going into the radiator. To fix that I adjusted the intake as far toward the fender as I could and I also added a piece of hose around the radiator hose to protect it. You can see the red hose in the "Re-Installed" picture. I went three years without anything there, but I wanted to just add it there as a precaution.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I love the Injen! Sounds great and you can really hear the thing sucking in air. Welds and finish were great. Just clean the inside of the tube before you install it.

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Good stuff. I'm really toying with the idea of firing the Volant out the window while doing 80mph down I-84 and getting an INJEN. Do you notice any higher intake temps with the INJEN since it's a metal tube/box? What sort of sound does it spit out (I don't mean roar, I mean like the air sucking you get with an open element filter)?
According to Drew's temp readings when he had the Volant, my temps were about 5 degrees higher if I recall. I'll try and remember to get some readings in the near future. The box is a composite material, the metal you see on the box is just for aesthetics. If I rev the engine I hear it sucking air, almost like sucking air in quick through your mouth if it was partially closed.

I love the Injen! Sounds great and you can really hear the thing sucking in air. Welds and finish were great. Just clean the inside of the tube before you install it.

X2 on cleaning the tube.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I love the Amsoil dry filter. I just tap it out and vacuum it clean. Ya know, my box doesn't come anywhere near that hose.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Injen.. Pertty..

..Ya know, my box doesn't come anywhere near that hose...
^Can EB_05_NISMO loosen the couplings and give the canister a good heave; then tighten em' it'd be o.k.? and/or "gently" flex the metal portion of the offending hose...

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love the Amsoil dry filter. I just tap it out and vacuum it clean. Ya know, my box doesn't come anywhere near that hose.

I don't know why mine touches it.

Injen.. Pertty..

^Can EB_05_NISMO loosen the couplings and give the canister a good heave; then tighten em' it'd be o.k.? and/or "gently" flex the metal portion of the offending hose...
I can't move it any further toward the fender unless I try making the "u" on the bracket deeper. I may be able to rotate the air box a bit to get the bolt head above the hose. I don't really want to risk trying to flex the hose, but I may try tweaking the whole setup to see if I can get it away from the hose.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Do you have the rubber bushing that sits up off of the fender about an inch for the box to mount? It should keep it up off of the hose, your box seems lower than mine. Is your tube level or does it taper down to the box?
It is just above my ground wires on the fender.

Mines tapers down just a touch 'cause of the IMS.

·
Super Moderator
19,933 Posts
The quality is good, and the black crinkle finish is holding up well. My intake is just about 3 years old and the only quality problem I have noticed is the paint flaking on the bracket.

There are a couple small downsides to the intake. One is that you have to take the airbox apart to get to the filter, but you need to do that anyways if you want to clean the screens. Two is that the main body of the airbox is two pieces screwed together. While cleaning it I noticed I could see a little light through the seam (see picture 4 for the seam in the box), but I'll seal that with some silicone the next time I clean it. And third is one of the bolt heads on the airbox (intake tube side) may rub a hose going into the radiator. To fix that I adjusted the intake as far toward the fender as I could and I also added a piece of hose around the radiator hose to protect it. You can see the red hose in the "Re-Installed" picture. I went three years without anything there, but I wanted to just add it there as a precaution.

That's a refrigerant hose going from the compressor to the condenser.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
mine touches that hose too

i mean i have wrapped the hose more, but i can see where it would

·
Super Moderator
19,933 Posts
So I installed the Injen/Amsoil dry filter for my Injen Intake. So far everything is good. I also painted the mounting bracket since the original paint was flaking.

Old Filter

New Filter:

Re-Installed:

The Mounting Bracket:

Where did you buy it and what is the part number?

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
now i have to go look at mine and see if it rubs that hose :) but i would def like to know where you got the new filter i hate oiling my filters

·
Registered
2,188 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,933 Posts
I got mine from amazon.com. Same part number but the price is $55.63 with free supersaver shipping if you choose. And it says in stock. On the summit page it gave me a ship date of 6/10/10.
Thanks. Looks like I'll be ordering from Amazon.com.

I just ordered my Injen from Autoanything.com and the filter from Amazon.com.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts