Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought the 05-07 Volant CAI for my 2010 Frontier 4.0 because I wanted a closed system.

Long story short, it took a good amount of modification to fit it - but it wasn't too bad, kind of fun, and it is WELL worth it. It's been documented that this CAI gives a decent bump in power, but the most impressive things to me about this are 1) the sound 2) throttle response significantly improved. Those two things alone make it worth it for my first mod.

Notes:

-Only 1 of the 3 holes for the filter box lined up correctly. The other 2 (top most, and bottom most) aren't even close. I just used middle one, it's more than enough. I'll plug up the other two holes later, they're M6 size I believe.
-The horns, of course, have to be relocated. I just put them behind the front grill. Extending the wires was pretty simple: just cut, strip shielding, use crimper connectors, and electric tape. I had to unbolt the horns from the bracket and "re-aim" them so they are not so prone to water entering them. Drove through a heavy thunderstorm yesterday at 75mph and no issues :).
-The ram air duct - okay this thing was a PITA. THERE IS NO WAY it fits as-is. I had to trim it 1.5" with a saws-all and it still touches the A/C condenser. It's a tight fit, but it worked.

Overall, if you jave an 08+ Fronty and don't mind some ligjt modification to make this part # fit, it's an amazing intake. Decent quality for the price, too.
::grin::

Here's a clip of me going WOT
https://youtu.be/P6lJh98xmrA

Attachments

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,994 Posts
Looks good - my 'air ram' fit in my truck without any mods whatsoever, it fit fine by the AC condenser. I did have the same issues with the holes on the bottom, so I just drilled one out to have two mounts and left one open - figured it isn't a terrible idea to have somewhere for the water to go.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Why did it require so much modification? Isn't it designed for the Frontier?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
adioogt why do you think a 05-07 intake would not fit your Frontier? It's not like you have a 2017 and your asking if the 2016 floor mats will fit your 2017, hello everybody. Your supplier is either lazy or stupid to not show that CAI fits 05 thru 2017 models, so be it. But be knowledgeable of your truck and reading this forum should make you self aware ie "skynet" that if it fits a 2005 Frontier it fits a 2010, and even a 2017 since Nissan is so jacked up to continue and use the same exact 2nd gen truck for 12yrs.

I hope you continue to like your CAI but if it required that many mods Volant makes a super sucky bolt in CAI.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,994 Posts
adioogt why do you think a 05-07 intake would not fit your Frontier? It's not like you have a 2017 and your asking if the 2016 floor mats will fit your 2017, hello everybody. Your supplier is either lazy or stupid to not show that CAI fits 05 thru 2017 models, so be it. But be knowledgeable of your truck and reading this forum should make you self aware ie "skynet" that if it fits a 2005 Frontier it fits a 2010, and even a 2017 since Nissan is so jacked up to continue and use the same exact 2nd gen truck for 12yrs.

I hope you continue to like your CAI but if it required that many mods Volant makes a super sucky bolt in CAI.
Volant changed their design of the CAI in 2008 in that the whole front of the sealed box was cut-out, to prevent people from having to relocate the horns. This seemed to be done from a liability point of view, and thus creating a hot air intake from the engine bay. Perhaps the radiators and A/C condensers slightly changed after 07 as well, addressing their leaky rad issues slowly. Nonetheless, drilling out one hole and trimming some plastic isn't that large of an issue, certainly not in the 'sucky' category as you detail.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Glad to hear on the sound. Always wanted to try one for a little low end growl, but never seen a deal to make me bite.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks good - my 'air ram' fit in my truck without any mods whatsoever, it fit fine by the AC condenser. I did have the same issues with the holes on the bottom, so I just drilled one out to have two mounts and left one open - figured it isn't a terrible idea to have somewhere for the water to go.
I see that you have an 07 - that would explain why yours fit without modifying; it's supposed to fit :) After 08' as you stated, the radiator/AC condenser configurations were changed, so parts moved around and essentially resulted in less room to fit things like the ram air duct.

Why did it require so much modification? Isn't it designed for the Frontier?
Well, yes, but there are two different part #s for the Volant CAI for the 05+ Frontiers: 12540 and 12640.

https://www.amazon.com/Volant-12540...255749&sr=8-2&keywords=nissan+frontier+volant

https://www.amazon.com/Volant-12640...255749&sr=8-1&keywords=nissan+frontier+volant

The 12640 is the one to get because its a completely closed air box - a TRUE, sealed CAI. Volant hacked up the box on the 12540 so people wouldn't have to relocate the horns on the 08+ Frontiers; most likely a liability concern as Zedbra stated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Glad to hear on the sound. Always wanted to try one for a little low end growl, but never seen a deal to make me bite.
Incredible sound. Very throaty and rumbly; I'm almost re-thinking whether I should even touch the exhaust...

Because the one I ordered is not designed to fit the model year of my truck. Failed transmissions due to radiator issues on the 05-07 Frontier's made the 08+ change the design of the coolant & A/C components. That's why the 08+ have their own version of the Volant intake. As I stated in a post above, Volant makes two different part numbers: the 12540 and 12640. 12640 is the TRUE, sealed CAI with the ram air duct. I did plenty of research before buying my intake which is why I went into this knowing i'd need to do some modification.

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-art...ssan-over-failed-radiators-transmissions.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just want the pipe lol. ill keep my sealed box. no one wants to sell the pipe!
Lol, dude make your own - it can't be too hard. Otherwise, buy a cheap AF-D intake from ebay and that should work. They're $149 though.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I just finished installing one I bought from a member last spring. Holy crap, I just about took a dump when I gunned it. I can't believe the sound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts