Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Install Shark Roof Rack - No Holes Drilled

15K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  kenjuddyk 
#1 ·
I installed the "Top Roof Rack Side Rails Bars Alu Black Fits Nissan Frontier D40 2005-19" also referred to as the Shark Roof Rack. Instructions called for the assembled roof rack to be affixed to the roof of the truck with the included 915 FC Polyurethane adhesive by ABC Sealants. The tubes instructions indicate there is a 10 minute window from applying the adhesive to placing the rack in position. That is a tight working time. My wife and I decided we would make a couple of dry runs to practice and discovered the Roof Rack was too much for us to accurately place it in position especially with only 10 minutes to apply adhesive to all four mounts and position it accurately on the roof. So, the following is the solution we came up with.
1. Pre position the rack, measure and verify mount locations. Used Blue Painters Tape to mark positions and to protect paint in the event any adhesive squeezed out.
2. We disassembled the Rack and worked with one side at a time. This allowed me to place adhesive on two feet and position one rail at a time which was a lot easier to handle. Pressed in place and moved to the next side. The adhesive was extremely thick and hard to apply. Had I tried to do all four feet at the same time, I would have been well outside the working time and the adhesive would have started curing before I had it in place. Once in position, I reinstalled the crossbars.
3. Next I strapped the rack in place using ratchet straps from Harbor Freight. I used my running boards to attach straps on each side and the lids from foam coolers to protect the metal and paint of the truck doors when the ratchets were tightened down. Then covered everything with the blue tarp to protect from dew and or rain. 24 hours cure time observed per instructions.

24 Hours Later, tape removed and straps removed... all good. Sorry no photographs of apply adhesive, but too short of working time to allow for photographs. Hope this helps someone considering this type of Roof Rack. Best thing, no holes, no leaks … ever! According to manufacture, light loads ok, but not heavy loads. Fits my need.

See less See more
#10 ·
Lol. I wasn’t saying it was literally more polished, I mean polished in the sense that it has a more attractive, svelte, streamlined appearance.

Reactions: ssFreebird33
#6 ·
I waited almost two weeks to install the rack because I wanted to talk to body shops, a couple of friends in the aircraft industry as well as what I could research online. I watched videos where body panels were glued on with these advanced adhesives and I came to the conclusion for what I would be using the rack for, I would rather go with this than drill 16 holes in my roof. I was told by the OMACUSA that the installation was considered permanent. That was good enough for me. I finally came to the conclusion that removal would be more of a problem rather than it coming loose.

#14 · (Edited)
So far so good. It's still there, I see it every time I have to stop at a traffic light and I look over at my reflection in the store windows... LOL, don't tell me you don't do the same.. I know you do! LOL. I appreciate all the compliments and comments. This is a great site, where else can you get straight forward advice and reaction to any subject about Nissan Frontiers. Thanks for letting me be a part!

#17 ·
I order this cover off Amazon, its the Tyger Tri Fold made out of high strength aluminum panels, completely water proof and I have stood on it.. supports up to 400pds, not that I weight that much, maybe 1/2, but that is another discussion I would rather not have, LOL. I paid 499 plus sales tax, but shipping was free. Thank you for your post.

#21 ·
No holes drilled Roof Rack update. We took a trip yesterday up to Helen Ga to see my Sister in Law, Brother in Law. The trip consisted of speeds on interstate up to almost 80mph, we arrived to find my Rack... was still there. Brother in Law was asking questions about the rack and as grab the rack and he shook the entire truck back and forth, was surprised to find out how it was installed. We returned home at similar speeds to find the rack firmly in place. Hope I continue to have good news to report.

#25 ·
I've been working Mid Night Shift this week so did not get to work on it until today. As a matter of fact.. just finished. I will post some pics in a little while. One suggestion if I may, besides running a blue strip of tape, test fit, make sure the back door opens without rubbing or hanging up and USE A YARD STICK AS A STRAIGHT EDGE to make sure you are lined up. My Wife suggested that one and she says I can sleep in the dog house tonight!

On the Bull Bar, yes I did install it myself. One of the easier installations of all. I decided to just remove the plastic panel rather than cut it, it does not show and the shield on the lower front of the Bull bar takes its place pretty well. That way I can reverse the process if needed.