Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have myself a magnetic mount "little wil" Wilsom Cb antenna.

I have the Uniden 520XL Pro installed in my center console, drilled a hole and ran power to the Accessory power harness under the console, ran a PA audio wire under the console, under the dash, then out of the driver-side garmet out to a 60 watt loudspeaker horn, gotta get the loudspeaker behind my grill now, right now it's just sitting by the airbox.

Anyways, I am having a hard time choosing a location to put the antenna and I just don't know the best way to run the cable, what's my best way to get the cable into the cab? Thanks a bunch for any suggestions.

-steve

·
Registered
289 Posts
Two places to mount, either directly in front of front glass such as on the drivers mirror or they sell hood clips and mount it next the windshield. Other option is mount it to a bed rail directly behind the cab. You will want it one of those two places for best reception. There are plenty of gromets to be accessed no matter where you decide to mount.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
i had my mag mount Lil Wil antenna on the roof in front of the 3rd brake light for a while. It's a great spot for reception but terrible if you run trails with branches/trees. I have moved mine to the driver's side tire 'hump' in the bed. The reception isn't as good, but I only use it on trail runs so I don't need 5 miles of reception for that. The reception is still good enough to find out what's going on when traffic comes to a stop on the highway (construction, speed trap, wreck, etc).

·
Registered
578 Posts
put it on the roof

·
Registered
70 Posts
i mounted mine on the roof with a macnetic mount. its a k30 and ive had 12 miles if range out of it. but i was on top of a hill.

i ran it down the black glass then under the truck through the gromet on the passenger side

·
Registered
119 Posts
You can get a kit to put the little wil through the roof too, ditch the magnet and run the cable behind the headliner.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
the cable I think can go in under the drivers seat or the back wall behind the seat
Just to elaborate upon this. There is some kind of vent or something that is on the cab and is covered by the bed. This is how most exit the rear of the vehicle instead of drilling a hole in the cab itself.

My only 2 cents is that you need to make sure you have a proper ground or else it will have a ton of static and crappy range. Just try a couple of spots and see which ones work for you and choose the best.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Just to elaborate upon this. There is some kind of vent or something that is on the cab and is covered by the bed. This is how most exit the rear of the vehicle instead of drilling a hole in the cab itself.

My only 2 cents is that you need to make sure you have a proper ground or else it will have a ton of static and crappy range. Just try a couple of spots and see which ones work for you and choose the best.
I think theres a grommet under the drivers seat also.I ran my wire through the 1 in the firewall on the driverside

·
Registered
578 Posts
i just went old skool and drilled a hole in the floor lol

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, well... it dumped snow here in central utah like wicked-wild all day yesterday and today, so ... it will be a bit till i get to it. Thanks to all of ya for your suggestions, i do do do appreciate it !

-steve

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
if you do a mag mount on the roof be prepared to put it back up anytime you go over 75 or 80mph. i have a mag mount amateur radio antenna on mine and it falls off right at 80. LOL.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you do a mag mount on the roof be prepared to put it back up anytime you go over 75 or 80mph. i have a mag mount amateur radio antenna on mine and it falls off right at 80. LOL.
HAHA, the other night I was near salt lake city on the freeway, dead straight lonely stretch, just about hit a hundred and was wondering what that noise was on my roof...

it about came off, but didnt ! yikes.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
You can get a kit to put the little wil through the roof too, ditch the magnet and run the cable behind the headliner.
^I was all about ready to mount my Wilson 3' flex up there, till a few forum members nix'd the idea... Really glad I didn't follow through with it; I've got scratches on my roof from branches to back em' up!

·
Registered
578 Posts
i have the full size wilson with i think a 5ft whip and i have gone down a bunch of crazy trails and various drive thrus and parking garages and have gone 80 and never once have i knocked it off...knock on wood

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here is how I did mine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the exact same antenna. All I did was have it in the middle of the roof, then either fun the cord into the driver/passenger door (your choice). It worked well for me.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I want to mount mine to the utilitrac in the bed somehow. Does anyone make a mount specifically for that? Also, suggestions for an antenna choice? Sorry for the thread hijack.:)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Here's my custom/truck mount. I'm using a 4 foot long Firestick with a spring at the bottom for trail branches and to dampen vibration all around. I used a magnetic mount in the past and have found that it got knocked over all the time on the trails. I used a 4 screw truck antenna mount and made a corner brace with 1/8"x2" (couldn't find 3") aluminum flatstock from HD. All stainless steel hardware. I had to use SS washers (not in the pic) to fill the gap between the plates on the bottom 2 bolts.

Hey Motocop, I have an extra 2 screw truck mount that may integrate with your utilitrac with minimal effort. I also have extra alum flatstock. I don't have the utilitrac to either confirm or deny how it wouls work. I'd need to see it.

The wire goes between the bed and cab, under and back up through the firewall with a proper size grommet that I picked up from Firestick's website. Had to cut the end of the coax wire to feed it through the firewall and used a new end (PL-259) I also picked up from firestick. The people at firestick were really helpful. (602) 273-7151

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts