Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently installed the CarJoying android head unit, JY-UL135N2 for my 2014 Frontier and this will be my experience with it installation and its operation so far. To start with I would like to thank those who have posted about this before and have posted about subject areas that are involved in the installation, your help was invaluable. I am not going to go into depth in some areas but will instead post links to where the information can be found. The attached pictures are not that great but if you have any question I may be able to help.

Vehicle: 2014 Frontier, steering wheel controls, OEM backup camera, standard head unit without amp/Nav.

CarJoying has been very helpful to ensure what I order is correct for my vehicle. I first emailed them directly with my questions and they were prompt to reply back (next day), they requested a picture of the rear connections of the head unit so the correct harness can be order. Once I decided on what I wanted I ordered through Amazon versus directly through the website. Felt it would be easier to deal with Amazon versus a company in China if any problems that required the unit to be returned. Once ordered, the CarJoying Amazon rep also emailed me to ensure I was ordering the correct equipment. I simply replied back that I had already been in contact with the company. Order submitted 9 Nov and it arrived on 15 Nov; funny that the tracking page showed the expected delivery date to be in mid-December.

Removal of the old and installation of the new head unit

- Simply follow the attached video and you will not have any problems. how to remove Nissan car stereo , how to install car stereo on Nissan frontier

- Other items ordered for the install, all from Amazon:

-- Metra AX-NISUSB-2 USB Retention Harness 10-Up Nissan. Connected the console USB port to the joying USB cord in the back.

-- AXXESS AX-NIS32SWC - Steering Wheel Controls - 32 WAY SWC NISSAN HARNESS . Used to connect the OEM backup camera only.

-- SMAKN Dc/dc Converter 12v Step Down to 6V/3A Power Supply Module. Connected to the above harness to provide the 6V to the camera.

-- Metra95-7619 Car Stereo Installation Dash Kit for 2013-Up Nissan Frontier/Titan/Xterra, (Black). Used the mount and trim plate. The one with the Joying unit did not fit.

- I first installed the new microphone, followed this example. How to Install a Bluetooth Microphone (Car Stereo Accessory) | Car Audio 101. To take the A-Pillar off I followed this: A-Pillar Molding Remove from this forum. Note that there is a small piece of molding below the A-Pillar moldings that overlaps and need to be removed first.

- I tried a premade harness to get the OEM camera working from SCOSCHE. They offer two harnesses depending on the year of your vehicle. The first one I ordered said it was for the 2014 Frontier but when I received it, the connector was a 24-pin, and I needed a 32-pin. I then ordered the other which was for 2015+ which had the 32-pin. When I installed the unit with this harness the head unit went into reverse but no rear camera picture. I worked with customer service to figure out the problem and they even sent me another harness but had the same problem, no picture. With the vehicle in reverse I disconnected the camera at the tailgate and discovered no power was getting to the camera. So that’s when I built my own harness with the above parts. What I found out was the newer SCOSCHE harness 12V-6V step down used only one ground out to pin 33 which goes to the camera shield. With my step down it had two grounds, and with one to pin 33, the other I grounded to the frame and the camera came up. The earlier SCOSCHE harness has the two ground wires for the step down.

- The Metra dash kit worked but I had to modify the trim plate some. The head unit fit was perfect at the top and bottom but I had about a 1/2” gap on each side. I cut the top and bottom off the side trim pieces then had to sand down the one side that went against the head unit, had to take about 1/8” off for them to fit.

- The USB retention harness was simply plugging the ends into the appropriate connectors.

- Was able to program all the steering wheel buttons except for the two phone handset ones. So I programed the preset up/down switch to work this function. Also programed the mode button to mute the unit. I am going to try this: INFORMATION FOR ASWC AND NISSAN BLUETOOTH BYPASS: later to see if connecting the appropriate pins together will let the unit see the two buttons.

Operation

The unit has exceeded my expectations, CarJoying website has a forum that can help with any problems you encounter or simply email them with the problem. I’m just a basic radio listener so the reception and sound have been the same as my OEM unit. I installed iHeart which I use when traveling to see mom (4hr drive). I have my cell phone configured as a hotspot and with unlimited data I have no problem streaming. I also have Netflix and YouTube installed which I can also stream from. I did install Sygic for my primary navigation. The pre-install iGo app takes up the whole screen which covers the clock which I did not like. I also changed launcher to Smart Launcher 3 instead of the default.

Vehicle Car Transport Multimedia Technology

Vehicle Car Multimedia Electronics Vehicle audio

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Multimedia Vehicle audio

·
Registered
397 Posts
...that looks really good, if I were partial to droid phones I'd consider one...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks much better on your setup than mine. I have the one piece trim kit. It was such a tight fitment. It doesn't sit in flush with the trim at all. Oh well... Don't know if I can convert mine to a 2 piece setup like yours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts