Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a thread awhile back about an in-depth description with photos of how to wire the fog lights to work independently using the factory steering column stalk. Can’t seem to find that thread, but if someone has the link I’d greatly appreciate it!
Or if you know of a different way to accomplish this feel free to chime in!

·
Registered
742 Posts
prob more than one but i saved this one

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
prob more than one but i saved this one
I saw this as well, but that would make my fogs turn on with the parking lights and I wouldn’t be able to turn them off.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
4,189 Posts
I saw this as well, but that would make my fogs turn on with the parking lights and I wouldn’t be able to turn them off.
The factory fog lights are triggered by the low beams. Which means the fogs cannot be turned on until the low beams are on.

If you want to be able to turn on the fogs anytime you want, you simply have to change the trigger. Snip the fog lamp switch wire that is connected to the low beam and splice it into a constant 12v source.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The factory fog lights are triggered by the low beams. Which means the fogs cannot be turned on until the low beams are on.

If you want to be able to turn on the fogs anytime you want, you simply have to change the trigger. Snip the fog lamp switch wire that is connected to the low beam and splice it into a constant 12v source.
That makes sense. Where does the fog lamp switch connect to the low beam? In the steering wheel stalk? By the fuses? Relay? I can’t find any wiring diagrams online to help with that part.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Remove your steering column covers and have a look at the combination switch.

I'm only familiar with the 1st Gen wiring but I'd assume the 2nd Gen fog lamp switch is also a simple two wire setup with one wire going to the fog lamp relay and the other to the low beams.

This link is for a 1st Gen but posts 7 & 9 may help you get a better understanding.

·
Registered
742 Posts
here are other possible ideas i had saved to consider myself...

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts

This doesn't work because the OEM fog lamp circuit runs through the BCM. You have to bypass the BCM, otherwise there's no signal passing through when the main stalk is OFF and when the high beams are ON. Lots of people have tried alternate methods only to have some quirk (i.e. fog lamps are now on, but can never be turned off, etc.). Since the OEM circuit is such a headache, the best way to do this is to literally replace the stock circuit with a new one: run two new wires from the stalk fog switch contacts, into the engine bay (bypassing the BCM), to a new relay, to the OEM fog light harness.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
This doesn't work because the OEM fog lamp circuit runs through the BCM. You have to bypass the BCM, otherwise there's no signal passing through when the main stalk is OFF and when the high beams are ON. Lots of people have tried alternate methods only to have some quirk (i.e. fog lamps are now on, but can never be turned off, etc.). Since the OEM circuit is such a headache, the best way to do this is to literally replace the stock circuit with a new one: run two new wires from the stalk fog switch contacts, into the engine bay (bypassing the BCM), to a new relay, to the OEM fog light harness.
What if one was to install from scratch using a aftermarket relay?

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
What if one was to install from scratch using a aftermarket relay?
Like I said in my last reply - that's the best way to do it (for our Frontiers specifically, thanks to the over-complication of Nissan incorporating the fog lamp circuit through the BCM)

The fog lamp switch on the stalk is just a two-contact switch: connect to turn on, disconnect to turn off. However, from the stalk itself, the fog lamp circuit runs through the OEM harness, through the BCM (which is the part that messes everything up) then to the engine bay harness, and finally to the fog lamp relay. From what I remember from looking into this years ago - the BCM controls when voltage is present in the circuit. So even if you tried to bypass most of the OEM circuit and add a switch right at the OEM relay, the BCM will still not allow power to go to the relay unless the OEM low beam headlamp circuit is also on... and then the BCM will cut the power to the relay in any other circumstance.

So yes: to get this to work, look at it like you're wiring up a standalone aftermarket fog lamp set... except:

1. Instead of using the OEM wiring harnesses, just use the aftermarket harness and relay.
2. You wire up the aftermarket relay however you want it, using it in place of the OEM relay (that is connected to/controlled by the BCM).
3. Instead of aftermarket fog lamps, you wire the output end to the OEM fog lamps at the fog lamps themselves.
4. Instead of using the aftermarket fog lamp switch, you wire to the OEM fog lamp switch at the switch itself (in the stalk).

Side note: not sure if the OEM fog lamp indicator light in the dash will work after the nod, but I assume it should since you're still sending power to the OEM fog lamps.
Parts required: 1 standard 12v SPST relay, some wire. That's it.(y)

...Funny, this mod was on my "to-do" list but I never really "needed" to control my fog lamps by themselves, so I never got around to doing the mod. :D

·
Registered
2021 Frontier CC SV Midnight
63 Posts
I’ve been told the BCM could be programmed by a dealer to allow fogs on without low beams . But never actually seen anyone have it done or even try

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
I’ve been told the BCM could be programmed by a dealer to allow fogs on without low beams . But never actually seen anyone have it done or even try
...so what does that tell you... about whoever it is that told you?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts