Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not really. Even and engine swap may not be sufficient. I've had vehicles that were limited to a 2000 lb towing capacity, only because the transmission wasn't rated well for towing. There is much more than Horse Power and Torque. You'd have to consider the braking capacity, cooling capacity, and other types of things.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
being able to get the load moving is only a part of the equation. Suspension and brakes also play in. without adding more braking capability, you are NOT adding weight capacity.
I'm currently looking at purchasing a travel trailer, but it looks like my options are limited. Extra braking capacity is included with whatever I may purchase, and of course a sway control hitch to increase tongue weight if necessary. I was hoping the option was there for some wiggle room if a camper's gross weight was perilously close to the max 6500 lbs our trucks are rated at.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,358 Posts
Don;t forget the integrity of the frame. Our truck frames already fold up like accordions if they are hit in the rear with a trailer hitch, imagine jamming the breaks with a really heavy trailer. **shudders**

·
Registered
741 Posts
Your truck rating includes just that. The truck. Any passenger or payload subtracts from your towing capacity.

Do not go by the dry weight on the trailer. Dry weight DOES NOT INCLUDE propane tanks, batteries, awnings, AC units, black/grey/fresh tanks, and sometimes they even forget to put the spare on it.

Your best bet is to go by the GVWR on the trailer, assume you'll load it to the gills, because we all do.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
@R00- For sure. Empty weights I'm looking at are between 4200 to 4700 lbs; max gross weights between 6000 and 7000 lbs. Of course the ones we really like have max weights in the upper range, but of course, the options are limited. The weight if five people lowers it real quick-like.

Maybe there is a diesel titan xd in my future.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,358 Posts
Are light weight trailers not that common down south? They are all the rage up here - as many people have lighter vehicles and still want a trailer.

This brand is all the rage right now up here, with a good reputation for quality thus far: Escape Trailer Industries ? Chilliwack, British Columbia

I've been considering one of their 17' trailers for a while now.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I can also tell you that the Frontier doesn't appreciate pulling trailers with large frontal area. It really bogs the trucks pulling power down.

·
Registered
299 Posts
This truck is rated to pull 6200 lbs with a tongue weight of 500-600 (with the receiver hitch, class II?) I will say the brakes are not up to the task. Mine look like little BMX bike brakes next to my Q50S. You would also need to add a leaf to the back springs and it would still not be much fun. In reality, you need a full size truck with a towing package. The heavier the truck the easier the pull.

·
Registered
247 Posts
@R00- For sure. Empty weights I'm looking at are between 4200 to 4700 lbs; max gross weights between 6000 and 7000 lbs. Of course the ones we really like have max weights in the upper range, but of course, the options are limited. The weight if five people lowers it real quick-like.

Maybe there is a diesel titan xd in my future.
Depends on how far you are going and how many hills there are I pulled 4300 dry with my pathfinder related for 6k tow and also with the frontier crew cab. BUT you also don't have 6,500 capacity. You have step bars, a bull bar and possibly other accessories that reduce your capacity in addition the crew cab also looses a few hundred pounds over King cab. Then if your 4wd you loose more.

I had a 2wd SV VTP with step bars and bull bar. As well as my wife and some gear in the bed of the truck then several hundred pounds added to the camper also.

Again it was 4300 dry wth 450 tongue weight wth WDH and sway control and brake controller. And our trips are all within 100 miles but a decent amount of hills. I would not even attempt trips up a mountain with those setup and yes the truck pulled it and stopped (with trailer brakes) adequately. But at 4700. And prob more like a 6100 max assuming your 2wd you would be pushing the limits very quickly.

I have since upgraded to a tundra and towing is much smoother between the bigger engine, brakes, and additional length in the wheel base the same trip and gear was a much better experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been around a lot of travel trailer folks, currently I own a Casita 17 SD. Something to consider is that many people start with large TT's, then find themselves downsizing. I of course don't know what your needs are, but I think some folks make the mistake of thinking of their future TT like a house. They think they need all the size and amenities of their house. Many of us instead think if the TT as an extension of our camping experiences. This allows us to be very satisfied with much smaller TT's.

Just something to think about

Conrad

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I can also tell you that the Frontier doesn't appreciate pulling trailers with large frontal area. It really bogs the trucks pulling power down.
This for sure, I wish I got a smaller RV, but I really like the room in the 23 footer Crossroads Z-1 we got. Ours is 4700lbs dry and the frontal area is right around the max. I got Firestone Air bags after a trip or two, totally helped level things out. It came with a very nice stabilizer hitch, and trailer brakes. It's really fine with the Frontier Hueydude if you don't go across mountain ranges or if you don't mind pushing your truck really hard. But I've had to put it in 3rd gear and turn 4500rpm for a minute or so on several steep long hills. And I'm able to maintain 55-65mph easily, it can go faster but around 70mph I start thinking about what my truck and the RV are going to look like if something goes horribly wrong. If you do mostly state or surrounding state RV trips and it's mostly flat you should be good, but it's all about being comfortable. I'm ready for a few beers if a bit of a breezy day and it's a 150 mile one way trip. There's some guy that towed 6500lbs w/o trailer brakes or stabilizer hitch that thinks I'm a wussy for warning Frontier owners to try to stick to 18ft and 3500lb dry weight RV's.

·
Registered
741 Posts
This for sure, I wish I got a smaller RV, but I really like the room in the 23 footer Crossroads Z-1 we got. Ours is 4700lbs dry and the frontal area is right around the max. I got Firestone Air bags after a trip or two, totally helped level things out. It came with a very nice stabilizer hitch, and trailer brakes. It's really fine with the Frontier Hueydude if you don't go across mountain ranges or if you don't mind pushing your truck really hard. But I've had to put it in 3rd gear and turn 4500rpm for a minute or so on several steep long hills. And I'm able to maintain 55-65mph easily, it can go faster but around 70mph I start thinking about what my truck and the RV are going to look like if something goes horribly wrong. If you do mostly state or surrounding state RV trips and it's mostly flat you should be good, but it's all about being comfortable. I'm ready for a few beers if a bit of a breezy day and it's a 150 mile one way trip. There's some guy that towed 6500lbs w/o trailer brakes or stabilizer hitch that thinks I'm a wussy for warning Frontier owners to try to stick to 18ft and 3500lb dry weight RV's.
Yer not a wussy, yer smart.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There's some guy that towed 6500lbs w/o trailer brakes or stabilizer hitch that thinks I'm a wussy for warning Frontier owners to try to stick to 18ft and 3500lb dry weight RV's.

There are folks that will tow almost anything with any type of TV. I have run into folks who completely ignore a manufacturer's towing capicity limitations.

I think you are smart. When you deal with very experienced TT folks you quickly learn they keep a large margin of safety in regards to towing capicity and they use very good equipment.

I went with a small and somewhat streamlined TV partly because I came out of the motorcycle world. In that world the act of traveling is far more important than being there. To that end I still enjoy the driving to that cross country destination more than being there so I insist on a quality relaxed towing experience.

Conrad

·
Registered
741 Posts
There are folks that will tow almost anything with any type of TV. I have run into folks who completely ignore a manufacturer's towing capicity limitations.

I think you are smart. When you deal with very experienced TT folks you quickly learn they keep a large margin of safety in regards to towing capicity and they use very good equipment.

I went with a small and somewhat streamlined TV partly because I came out of the motorcycle world. In that world the act of traveling is far more important than being there. To that end I still enjoy the driving to that cross country destination more than being there so I insist on a quality relaxed towing experience.

Conrad
Nothing worse than gritting your teeth and white-knuckling your steering wheel for four hours before trying to set up camp...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After some discussion with my wife, I believe we are going to search for a vehicle capable of towing more weight. I have my eye on some Ford Expeditions and Nissan Armadas in the area that can handle towing a TT up and down mountains and also serve as our family vehicle.

Thanks all for the advice.

·
Registered
216 Posts
There's some guy that towed 6500lbs w/o trailer brakes or stabilizer hitch that thinks I'm a wussy for warning Frontier owners to try to stick to 18ft and 3500lb dry weight RV's.
Well then he thinks I am a wuss too because I am in 100% agreement with you. I even prefer the 7' or 7.5' width because our trucks are narrow (easier to see around & less wind resistance too.)

·
Registered
439 Posts
This truck is rated to pull 6200 lbs with a tongue weight of 500-600 (with the receiver hitch, class II?) I will say the brakes are not up to the task. Mine look like little BMX bike brakes next to my Q50S. You would also need to add a leaf to the back springs and it would still not be much fun. In reality, you need a full size truck with a towing package. The heavier the truck the easier the pull.
I agree, it would seem that the OP got the wrong size truck from the get-go. Instead of spending tons of money to try and make the Frontier work, cut your losses and trade in for a full-size truck! Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Back in the late 70's I have a buddy move a 8' by 65' MOBILE HOME over 30 miles with a 1968 Ford F250 with the 460ci V8. The back springs were stuck flat on the bump stops. He made it, but it was not fun.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts