Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my cost of gas is getting unbearable..

Can you please help me out, any ideas to improve mpg would be fantastic!

cold air intake do anything?
take off tailgate - good or bad?
etc

please help :)

Also ANYONE IN SOUTH AZ AREA, NEED A 4X4 BUDDY ?! :)

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
For what you can save, you will be spending it on the mods themselves so its a no-win situation unlessy ou keep the vehicle for 10 years or so.

If you are really worried about MPG, I highly suggest that you trade in your vehicle and buy a sentra or civic or etc..... That is your only way to increase mpg and have it worth it in the end. You do lose your truck thou so its a decision you need to make yourself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
x2

I've added volant, banks, and superchips for who knows $???. LE 2wd crew and get 21 mpg on daily trips into town. Just got back from trip to MN and using Ethanol free I got 25 to 26 when the road was flat and no wind traveling speed limit of 65-70. That crappy 10% grain stuff drops the highway down at least 2-3 mpg.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Make sure your tires are properly inflated, you keep your rpms around 1700-2100 rpms. Do not jump the throttle at a dead stop just ease into your needed speed. Then try your hardest to keep it. Dont break check others and just ease into the brakes. At a stop.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I don't know what kind of gains your looking to accomplish, or what your mpg actually is. I gained 35-40 miles per tank (roughly 2mpg gain) with my Hypertech tunner, which is currently available for all models. Understand that this was accomplished with the 87 octane tune with the WOT restriction and driving somewhat conservatively (in other words boring). With the performance tune there's not much gain, its really hard to stay off the throttle (it's really fun)

I think this is by far one of the best (for the money) mods you can do which will improve your mpg OR increase your driving fun. You can return it to stock in minutes and go to any dealer and they'll never know the difference. The best thing is that you don't need to know much more than plugging it into a computer to update it and then plugging it into your truck and following the steps on the screen.

Also assuming your talking about a VQ40 6cyl, if not, this doesn't apply.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
I have a Injen Intake, and lobbed off the muffler and put on a straight pipe. And I get 17-22, Also you can go to autozone and buy Lucas high performace upper cylinder lubricant. I was told buy a friend whos a mechanic to use it(just add it when you get gas) was skeptical but I tried it and i got better mpg.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
55 is sooooooooooo boring. I prefer 80. I still get above 20 MPG on the interstate.
Yeah with me i get that too but i have to keep it a steady 80mph because of the height of my tires. So far my best has been 21 with them. If i start to dip & dive i get at best 19.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
There are a bunch of posts on what people have done in an attempt to improve MPG. You'll see some things listed as a failure for everyone, but more likely things will be listed as having worked wonders for some and a disaster for others.

Me, I've gone with synthetic fluids, MAX tire pressure, tonneau cover, K&N drop-in filter, and aftermarket muffler and I can't say I'm doing any better than factory. I have also added a slightly larger tire (27" to 29" diameter) which, even though the "logic" seems to point to a better MPG (better cruising rear end ratio) probably hurt MPG (I guess because of the added weight and maybe more disruptive airflow).

Bottom line: I say x2 to the "drive slower", that is the biggest thing you can do to increase your MPG. If you're already driving slower, then x2 on the "get a car".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Best I've seen on my frontier was 24mpg at 55-60mph cruising through N. Dakota. V6, Auto, 4x4, 2in lift, ~40psi in tires, otherwise all stock. Normally average around 18. Had to check my math twice. My dad averages 26mpg with his 4cyl. Subaru, so I'm pretty satisfied with what I get. To me, a mile or two per gallon increase isn't worth the cost. I spend money all the time on stupid crap I don't need, so whats a few extra dollars at the pump?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
check into fuel additives (fitch catalyst), get a wing (helps all honda cars right?), follow closely behind a semi (watch out if he hits the brakes, you might smash into the rear), hire a tow truck (you could potentially get 1000 mpg), drive only at night when the fuel is cooler (hot fuel burns faster), and last but not least, always drive downhill (everyone knows going downhill is easier).

:laugh:

·
Registered
50 Posts
:laugh:
thats good stuff...hot fuel burns faster lol
yes, I once thought i could squeeze much more milage outa my fronty...I gained 3mpg with about $800 worth of mods....HAH not worth it, but the truck sounds and runs great now!

·
Registered
160 Posts
get a prius....

·
Registered
262 Posts
i don't get it when most of you guys say your frontier gets bad MPG. The only thing I do it keep the rpm's under 2500 most of the time there about 2100 2200 when taking off from a light. besides that i drive 80 mpg everyday with 20'' rims and allways get 21.5 22 mpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bottom line: I say x2 to the "drive slower", that is the biggest thing you can do to increase your MPG.
x3. There are lots of mods that may or may not help your mileage, and even if they do they still might not pay for themselves in fuel savings over the time you own the truck. Even things like taller wheels, which affect your final drive ratio slightly, can end up weighing more and giving your truck a taller front cross section of air that it has to move out of the way.

Drive slow, even though it's not as fun, and don't fly off the line at every red light. That makes a huge difference - the higher your RPM, the more fuel you're burning. I keep my trip computer set to show my mileage and I've got it down to 12.8L/100km, from 17L/100km when I bought it a month ago. To compare, I have a 4x4 4-door diesel Toyota Hilux, renowned for their fuel economy, that gets around 8 or 9L/100km, which I think is around 30mpg.

Also, try getting in the habit of coasting up to red lights or stop signs (when traffic allows). When you race up to them and hit the brakes, you're just converting gas into heat at the caliper.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts