Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious. After doing a few mods like CAI, exhaust, and programer. would you think our the towing capacity would be increased?

Is the tow rating determined by the amount of power that the motor has or how much weight our truck can handle based on its size?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am just curious. After doing a few mods like CAI, exhaust, and programer. would you think our the towing capacity would be increased?

Is the tow rating determined by the amount of power that the motor has or how much weight our truck can handle based on its size?
Mostley the weight vs size but power has some to do with it on these mid sized trucks I would not go higher than whay it is rated for the more power would just make it better and quicker

·
Registered
335 Posts
you also have to factor in braking and under certain turns the trailers weight can turn the truck over. if the trailer has brakes that will help and the truck will stay more stable if you have a lot of weight by using a weight distubtion hitch (class iv). oh and dont forget about tounge weight, watch the rear suspension

The truck (stock) itself could tow 10k+ if it didnt have to stop or turn

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Dangerous assumption to make that increased power can mean an increase in towing ability. It only means that you can get up to speed faster and possibly be more efficient mpg-wise. Like a previous poster said, we could easily pull 10-15k lbs of weight around. But you would be up sh!t creek when it came to stop the truck+load or had to make any quick manuevers. Safe towing limitations are put in place in reference to the trucks ability to manuever, handle the load placed on the suspension, stop, etc.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Weight rating has much more to do with rear dif., suspension, frame than with starting or stopping ability. Personally, I would never tow anything heavier than the vehicle in front.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Never tow more than the rated vehicle limit. Mods can make it tow easier but the rated capacities on any vehicle are government regulated. Get pulled over by the d.o.t. and be even 100 pounds over your gvw and you're looking at some big fines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts