Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The built-in hotspot in the 2022 Frontier is powered by AT&T if you haven't activated it yet.

The speeds are sub-par. I only achieved about 7.XX mbps down and 0.2 mbps up.

Comparative to my Jeep Grand Cherokee which had the same AT&T powered hotspot, which pulled over 30mpbs down and 5 up.

Appears that the "Nissan Series" of lte hotspot's built in take a lower priority on the tower prioritization.

I also have an old LTE CAR CONNECTED sim that has been in a mobile hotspot for years now, and it can pull 30 down as well.

Wondering if anyone else who has activated their in-vehicle hotspot is seeing anything over 7.3mpbs?

Did anyone sign up for the extended $20 unlimited data after the trial?

It does show AT&T ENTERPRISE at the IP.

The server I used was United, and its 1gbps fiber (so it wasn't the bottleneck)

Gauge Measuring instrument Line Font Parallel

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but definitely pertinent. I recently switched from Verizon to AT&T because of a DirecTV bundle. Biggest mistake I ever made in my life I can't believe how horribly this phone works along the Northern Front Range especially in Loveland/ Fort Collins area and along the foothills. Anyone living in this area I would highly suggest not to bother.

·
Premium Member
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
211 Posts
That's pathetic, maybe you were in a bad coverage area? I would prefer Verizon service regardless.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Maybe I'm the minority but I don't really understand vehicle hotspots. Many phone plans have large data allowances on their hotspots. My phone is always with me so I would just use my hotspot on the phone and not pay extra for the vehicle hotspot.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's pathetic, maybe you were in a bad coverage area? I would prefer Verizon service regardless.
Coverage area isn't the issue, as I explained, two other in-car devices on AT&T pickup and perform perfect.

Verizon hasn't did in-car wifi in years, seems as AT&T got the bid on that one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I'm the minority but I don't really understand vehicle hotspots. Many phone plans have large data allowances on their hotspots. My phone is always with me so I would just use my hotspot on the phone and not pay extra for the vehicle hotspot.
Exactly, I have 30GB of hotspot on my phone plan anyways. Guess its good for families with kids with tablets, etc, on trips and what not...
$20 is affordable if you needed it though.

·
Premium Member
2022 Frontier Pro4x
20 Posts
I went ahead and signed up for the $20/mo plan. I have a grandfathered unlimited Verizon hotspot, and the spouse has a $20/mo unlimited ATT zte mobley that plugs into the diagnostic port. We have found through a lot of traveling that it is worth having a hotspot from both companies to stay connected. Usually you can get one or the other.

I haven't tested speed. Will have to compare the frontier ATT to the mobley and see how they perform.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went ahead and signed up for the $20/mo plan. I have a grandfathered unlimited Verizon hotspot, and the spouse has a $20/mo unlimited ATT zte mobley that plugs into the diagnostic port. We have found through a lot of traveling that it is worth having a hotspot from both companies to stay connected. Usually you can get one or the other.

I haven't tested speed. Will have to compare the frontier ATT to the mobley and see how they perform.
Oh yes, those unlimited AT&T ZTE Mobley plans, aka Car Connected Plan. I don't know how many years I've had mine, several I know. A lot of us took the SIM cards out and put them in hotspots right after it came out, and its stayed on that plan all these years.

A comparison to the mobley sim compared to the Frontier wifi would be interesting. You seen my comparison.

I used testmy.net, united.speedtestcustom.com, and ip2location.com to see some stats.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Approach this like a new phone. See if carrier can assist you. If the connection is managed through the main display, you might be able to view data helpful in determining if settings are optimum and what connection mode it is using. I would also check for network reset equivalent option.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Approach this like a new phone. See if carrier can assist you. If the connection is managed through the main display, you might be able to view data helpful in determining if settings are optimum and what connection mode it is using. I would also check for network reset equivalent option.
There is no user control other than changing the wifi password. AT&T will just tell you that "speeds are not guaranteed".

·
Registered
203 Posts
I still suspect a diag mode will show sttings/status. Failing that a full power cycle. Priority traffic shouldn't kill it this bad but not unheard of to have similar issues with phones.

Edit: all this is pointless if others get the same result.

·
Premium Member
2022 Frontier Pro4x
20 Posts
Oh yes, those unlimited AT&T ZTE Mobley plans, aka Car Connected Plan. I don't know how many years I've had mine, several I know. A lot of us took the SIM cards out and put them in hotspots right after it came out, and its stayed on that plan all these years.

A comparison to the mobley sim compared to the Frontier wifi would be interesting. You seen my comparison.

I used testmy.net, united.speedtestcustom.com, and ip2location.com to see some stats.
Got my tests done today. It looks like the Frontier is just fine for upload / download speeds. This does not test your tower priority theory, which could be true. I have a congested tower near me right near an Interstate bypass. I always lose both Verizon and ATT when traffic is heavy there. The towers cannot handle that amount of cars at one time. Less traffic, and both carriers work fine. I might be able to test there, but I would have to catch it at just the right time to test priority.

I used the speedtest app on my iPad. I compared ATT - Frontier, ATT - Mobley, and VZ - Phone Hotspot. All three have unlimited data. Not sure if they do slowdowns on the Frontier, but the Mobley and Verizon plans I have do not slow down. I did ensure that the Mobley and Frontier connected to the same server while running the speed tests, although it was a different server at home than it was in the parking lot.

Here are the results:

Test in driveway with weak ATT and Verizon signals:
DeviceLocation / SignalDownload (Mbps)Upload (Mbps)
ATT - FrontierHome / Weak3.94 0.09
ATT - MobleyHome / Weak3.98 0.13
VZ - HotspotHome / Weak22.34.34
ATT - FrontierParking Lot / Strong27.913.8
ATT - MobleyParking Lot / Strong8.8213.5
VZ - HotspotParking Lot / Strong33.018.2

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good findings!! the MOBLEY isn't going to be optimal because its in the OBD2 port down in the floorboard. I have my mobley SIM card in a ZTE hotspot (AT&T), its a world of difference in signal and speeds.

I'll test again tomorrow at work. i'm sitting in the parking lot with the AT&T tower visible across the street.
The antenna on the cab roof should be optimal for a good signal.

·
Premium Member
2022 Frontier Pro4x
20 Posts
Good findings!! the MOBLEY isn't going to be optimal because its in the OBD2 port down in the floorboard. I have my mobley SIM card in a ZTE hotspot (AT&T), its a world of difference in signal and speeds.

I'll test again tomorrow at work. i'm sitting in the parking lot with the AT&T tower visible across the street.
The antenna on the cab roof should be optimal for a good signal.
I should have mentioned that I didn't use the diagnostic port. I usually take it in my RV, so I just use an adapter that lets me plug it in. I have one for 12v DC and one for 120v AC. I used the DC adapter for this test and the mobley was sitting in the area of the Frontier's phone charger.

I am interested in your findings. Hopefully they are as good as mine were.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts