Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Do you get a fair bit of lurching after going into park?

• Yes

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 88.5%
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
On level ground I rarely use the park brake. If there is any incline whatsoever then I always use it. I always set the brake and then shift the trans to 'N' to ensure the brake itself is holding the vehicle prior to shifting to 'P' to ensure there is no undo load on the park pawl itself. I've done this for years regardless of the make of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2007 Frontier CC
387 Posts
Who dose that? No body that I know of has ever done it this way.
That is the correct way to set the parking brake. Going into park first rests the weight of the vehicle on the parking pawl, doing it the correct way sets the weight on the parking brake pads. Pads are an easier wear item to address than a transmission.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Who dose that? No body that I know of has ever done it this way.
I do this anytime I remember to apply the parking brake. You want the BRAKE to hold the vehicle, and the pawl as a secondary (in case) hold point. Was taught this wayyyyyyyyy long ago when I was too young to even legally drive ;)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Should have mentioned in my previous post ...... I have no issues whatsoever with the trans or with regards to the parking pawl in my 2020 SV. Consequently the thought of all this and the apparent fix makes me uneasy.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Should have mentioned in my previous post ...... I have no issues whatsoever with the trans or with regards to the parking pawl in my 2020 SV. Consequently the thought of all this and the apparent fix makes me uneasy.
I think the real issue is that Nissan "probably" does not know how many or which specific batches are actually affected. Yours may not be. But, do you bring it in to see or gamble and leave it be to avoid any new issues?? That's the predicament :unsure:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Remember my driving test and driving a POS Chevy Cavalier for the test. Had to park on an uphill and a downhill towards the curb. Booth times the gear shifter was a PAIN to move due to the stress on that parking pawl. My instructor actually helped me shift into "drive" one of the times as I was a short skinny kid back then with no weight on me. 🤣

·
Registered
478 Posts
It doesn't matter whether you put the trans in Park before applying the parking brake. What does matter is that you apply the parking brake before you release the foot brake. You can put it into park first as long as you still have your foot on the brakes when you set the parking brake.
You are correct, but I prefer to do as I mentioned in post #21 so that I know for certain the park brake is indeed holding the vehicle rather than the park pawl. If done as you mentioned one cannot be certain which, park brake or park pawl, is in fact holding the vehicle. One can of course apply the park brake with maximum effort every time it's set but why? Why put undo strain, pressure and load on the system that's not required when setting and checking the park brake prior to putting the trans in 'P' will confirm if enough pressure has or has not been applied and doing it this manner only adds a couple of seconds to the process?

To each his/her own. Everyone's gonna do what works best for them.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts