Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Do you get a fair bit of lurching after going into park?

• Yes

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 88.5%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have noticed since I got the truck that there seems to be a lot of movement going into park. Like if I park on an incline when I let my foot off the brake the car lurches forward a good bit, much more than any other car I've owned, then seems to "lock" into place.

Just curious if anyone else notices this, and if maybe it is somehow related to the pawl issue, like those most likely to be affected have this and others don't or something. Could be normal for this transmission or could be a sign the pawl is misaligned and at higher chance of not engaging. Who knows, let's find out.

Yes, I normally use the parking brake, just an observance.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab
53 Posts
I've got a 2020 with about 11,000 miles on it and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. I have got into the habit of using the parking brake every time now though just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using the parking brake. I'm just seeing if there is consistency among owners and if not maybe it is an identifier.

It's also hard to quantify, I understand. Could just be that coincidentally the previous vehicles I've had have just had less of this than average.

·
Premium Member
2020 PRO-4X, Icom IC-229H ham radio, 4K front and rear dashcam, Leer canopy
456 Posts
The way i was taught way back when there were more stick shifts than automatics:
With my foot still on the brake I put it in park then apply the parking brake then take my foot off the brake. That way the pawl isn't holding the weight of the vehicle.

The big truck automatics don't have a park position because there isn't a pawl and transmission case big enough to hold back 80 000 pounds.

·
Premium Member
2020 PRO4X
175 Posts
I have a 2020 now, and tried that when this first came out a few months ago, as I am a religious parking brake user. It moves forward just as much as my 2012 or 2011 did. When I see other people do it, their car/truck seems to have the same "adjustment" distance. If there's anything that should convince anyone to use the darn parking brake, is that. That movement only gets worse. While more than capable, a transmission is not intended to bear the weight of the truck. The worst is when I hear people coming out Park to switch to Drive and you hear this very audible clunk as that first gear literally catches the weight of the vehicle. Yikes. Incline or not, parking brake should be used.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I am using the parking brake. I'm just seeing if there is consistency among owners and if not maybe it is an identifier.

It's also hard to quantify, I understand. Could just be that coincidentally the previous vehicles I've had have just had less of this than average.
Reading that TSB that was uploaded about fixing the pawl pin it showed many scenarios with pictures of pawl location etc.. Indicating their may be a range of tolerances. You might be on to something here.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mine doesn't have very much play/movement after going into park. About what I've seen in other vehicles we have had or even less. I've had mine since January, and it has never failed to lock into park. I have been trying to remember to use the parking brake, but keep forgetting. Guess I need to put a big post-it note on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not a 3rd generation owner but it doesn't look like any of the 3rd gen owners on this website have had a problem when putting transmission in park ?
It goes into park just fine. Virtually all cars move forwards/backwards a bit on an incline when put in park and the brake is released. Just my 2022 does this a bit more than I've seemingly noticed in most cars, enough so my friend even commented on it one of the first times he rode in the truck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It goes into park just fine. Virtually all cars move forwards/backwards a bit on an incline when put in park and the brake is released. Just my 2022 does this a bit more than I've seemingly noticed in most cars, enough so my friend even commented on it one of the first times he rode in the truck.
How far does it move after putting it in park ?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How far does it move after putting it in park ?
About 10ft.

JK. I'll actually measure it tomorrow and update original post for details sake, but I'd guess 1.5" - 2". Hard to tell exactly though. Definitely more than previous vehicles I've had to my recollection.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just so you know, when you set the parking brake and then let off the foot brake almost all vehicles will roll some. I should say all vehicles that use a drum brake as the parking brake will roll a bit. The reason is that when you set the parking brake, you only move one shoe against the drum. When the vehicle rolls an inch or so, that causes the other shoe to engage and both shoes tighten up against the drum.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts