Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I started Tech School 2 weeks ago for Auto Mechanics, I'm still in my intro class right now for 3 more weeks. (classes are 5 week periods) But anyways are Instructor was teachin us how to use the vechicle lifts and we lifted my truck up and checked out the underside. My upper ball joints are toast and would like some imput on replacin them. What kind do ya recomend? Anything else Should i "upgrade" while down there? Was thinkin on Idle Arm Brace. Since I'm in school full time i'm not workin as much so money is a lil tighter so SAS is outta the question, I'm not broke by any means just can't be droppin like a grand. But yeah let me know which route i should take.
Oh yeah, my rig has the 3" cal kit with sway-away t-bars.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
ball joints(both sides, and upper and lowers) the idler arm/get a idlerarm brace. possably your shocks depending on how much you off road/ or how many miles you have on them. lube up your uca bushings and lca bushings if you can

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah didn't think to do the bottom ones too. Are there aftermarket ball joints that would better since the tuck is lifted? Or should I get OEM ball joints?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I went with Moog uppers for aftermarket... little bit stronger then stock. replaced oem bottom ball joints. 4x4parts.com sells a upgraded idler arm.. very good for the price... Those would be my suggestions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
On my 2000, the ball joints are pressed in to the control arms - not replaceable according to the dealer without buying all new arms. Especially annoying considering my ball joint grease seals ruptured a year or two ago. I constantly have to check for play. I even put some generic rubber seals on and re greased the joint but they didn't last long.

I just hate dropping over $100 an arm just to get a new piece of $1.50 rubber and some grease, especially since the joints have held up well despite the issue.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my 2000, the ball joints are pressed in to the control arms - not replaceable according to the dealer without buying all new arms. Especially annoying considering my ball joint grease seals ruptured a year or two ago. I constantly have to check for play. I even put some generic rubber seals on and re greased the joint but they didn't last long.

I just hate dropping over $100 an arm just to get a new piece of $1.50 rubber and some grease, especially since the joints have held up well despite the issue.
I have the Calmini UCAs on my truck, I had new ball joints installed after i bought the truck in may of 08. I've put 12,000 miles on it since then and they need to be replaced again.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I believe they just use older nissan harbody ball joints on those arms and you can go to any auto parts store and pick them up cheap. Get a set of moog ones. If your idler arm isn't worn out don't mess with it just get a brace. On mine (before i went sas) i built a brace for mine but when i took the bottom nut off the idler arm the threads stripped so you may end up replacing it anyway.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe they just use older nissan harbody ball joints on those arms and you can go to any auto parts store and pick them up cheap. Get a set of moog ones. If your idler arm isn't worn out don't mess with it just get a brace. On mine (before i went sas) i built a brace for mine but when i took the bottom nut off the idler arm the threads stripped so you may end up replacing it anyway.
OK, Again with the Moog Ball Joints. I've never even heard of this copany till this thread. I'll order some cuz they've been recomended twice and that was what i needed was someone to say witch part would be the way to go. I just hope they last longer than my last ones. Should I just order the Idle Arm Brace from AC? (4x4parts.com) Is it Solid? Not so sure I want anymore Calmini Parts on my truck that I already do. Not that there is anything wrong with the parts on my rig, I've just seen that other guys truck on several threads where parts failed and made it crash and is lucky to be alive. (bless that guy, even though i've never met him)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sure, you can use Calmini's.. But Calmini's is just over priced stock upper ball joint. Upgrade to a moog.. spend a little bit more but better all around.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure, you can use Calmini's.. But Calmini's is just over priced stock upper ball joint. Upgrade to a moog.. spend a little bit more but better all around.
I checked out thier website and they have nothing for the Frontier. Should just order an Xterra one?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ball Joints Thats for Calmini's ball joint. Just ask around car shops. I get most of my stuff at car quest due to getting 60% off everything.
I put car quest ball joints on my rig last summer, around 12,000 miles ago and now they're toast. Is there ones that will last longer?

·
Registered
302 Posts
The brand name is Moog. Call around to part stores and ask. Its the best ball joints on the market for our truck. The Calmini is simply just a oem nissan ball joint.

Federal-Mogul - Moog Ball Joints

There is no way you put in Moog ball joints and have them wasted by 12k miles. Unless your truck's alignment was off.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The brand name is Moog. Call around to part stores and ask. Its the best ball joints on the market for our truck. The Calmini is simply just a oem nissan ball joint.

Federal-Mogul - Moog Ball Joints

There is no way you put in Moog ball joints and have them wasted by 12k miles. Unless your truck's alignment was off.
just to correct ya, calmini does not use OEM hardbody balljoints

yes all aftermarket arms use HB balljoints but calmini uses a real cheapy brand

OEM hardbody balljoints are comparable to moog quality, i run em

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
Not so sure I want anymore Calmini Parts on my truck that I already do. Not that there is anything wrong with the parts on my rig, I've just seen that other guys truck on several threads where parts failed and made it crash and is lucky to be alive. (bless that guy, even though i've never met him)
Just to clear up, that guy was Richard and the part that failed was from the Calmini SAS kit..nothing close to what you are running so don't worry about ending up like that. I have heard the Calmini Idler Arm brace doesn't last long from some people I personally know who ran them. I had the calmini 3" suspension kit on the truck and it was fine for what it is. We only replaced the balljoints and the calmini shocks in the rear. Moog is a reputable company that is pretty popular. I would recommend them.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Just to clear up, that guy was Richard and the part that failed was from the Calmini SAS kit..nothing close to what you are running so don't worry about ending up like that. I have heard the Calmini Idler Arm brace doesn't last long from some people I personally know who ran them. I had the calmini 3" suspension kit on the truck and it was fine for what it is. We only replaced the balljoints and the calmini shocks in the rear. Moog is a reputable company that is pretty popular. I would recommend them.
yeah but if theres a company out there that continues to produce shitayyy products... that really doesnt leave a fuzzy feeling in my stomach

its also the fact that they use cheap products and take short cuts yet charge more then any other company

id stay away from em, stick with AC, ill cross reference my post about them going into mad detail if you want

·
Registered
302 Posts
Coulda sworn they said they use oem. if not whatever. Still junk.. My idler arm replacement is on its way ($345).. its completely shot.. what a junk kit. i just hope there sas kit isnt as crappy as some of there other stuff they sell.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, I wasn't tryin to name drop or step on toes. I've just seen a few posts with that guys wrecked rig on it. And then other people just keep say how much they dislike Calmini and to stay away from thier products. I've got the Calmini 3" kit on my ride right now and my only complaint is sqeaky UCAs, and Sway Away T-bars that keep settling down. I'll do some searching for the Moog ball joints cuz the website doesn't have a "Frontier" option. Just wondering, what ball joints are you guys runnin in your 1st gen?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts