Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks.I'm new to the site.I have a 2002 Frontier XE 2wd king cab automatic with 262k on the clock.I really like the 1st generation Frontiers.My first Nissan was a 1986.5 Hardbody long bed heavy duty with a 3.0L v6 and manual tranny.Man that truck was stout.I eventually sold it and entered the Frontier world.

I have a question about the transmission fluid pathway through the cooler,and back to the tranny.From what i can decipher,the fluid enters the cooler through the passenger side port.It exits the cooler through the driver side port.Service bulletin NTB00-056b page 6 figure 6 seems to confirm that.I have a Wix 58964 filter plumbed into the driver side cooler hose,with the flow arrow pointing to the right (toward the passenger side of the truck).Does that sound correct?

Here's a brief parts list:
Wix 58964 filter (5/16)
Gates 27058 hose (5/16)
1/2 to 9/16 fuel injection hose clamps

Hope the link works.I just wanted to make sure it was plumbed correctly.I now realize i should have left the rubber line loose and pointing into a bucket,while i briefly ran the truck to confirm direction.But everything is sealed nicely with no leaks.Just thought somebody might be able to confirm.Thanks!

-Charles

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,372 Posts
That is correct.
The automatic transmission section of the FSM shows where the oil coolers in and out tubes are located on the tranny. I traced them back to verify when I installed a tranny cooler.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did see that video,right after I completed the install.Apparently there was a manufacturing error that could lead to separation at the seam.The video is 4 years old now,so hopefully they addressed the issue.I installed a 58964 on another vehicle a few years ago,and had no problems.We’ll see how it goes.

It looks like the other manufacturers have had some issues too.Ford used to recommend a Magnefine filter after major transmission work.But they recently stopped that practice,sighting bypass valve failures.I have also heard that spin on filters cause too much resistance to flow,and can cause fluid temps to increase.

Don’t know if I did the right thing or not.I just wanted better filtration,since the factory filter is just wire mesh that catches the big stuff.Hoping to see 500K out of this truck one day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Post #17 on this old thread confirms it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts