Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's tax refund time again and that means something new for the truck. This time I've decided to upgrade my JVC HU to an in-dash GPS unit.

I am looking for any opinions, suggestions, recommendations, horror stories that anyone may have in hopes of maybe finding something that I didn't know was available or learning something new and also hearing from people who have these.

So here's what I need:
Bluetooth. Would prefer it to be built in. This is a must and will be used on a daily basis.

POI's. More the merrier. Not a daily thing but I find myself searching the given area that I'm in for a lot of things with my handheld much more than I expected. Especially on long trips.

And what I want but don't HAVE TO have:
HD radio. Wouldn't mind it. But again, would prefer it to be built in.

Voice activated Control. Would be nice with the bluetooth, but I can deal without it.

Searching the forum I see that a lot of people like the Pioneer units. Me too. While researching these things I seem to keep coming back to them. I've also been looking at these:

Kenwood - DNX6140
Never had a Kenwood HU before but I'm currently running Kenwood speakers front and back and use a Kenwood amp for the sub and am having good luck with them.

JVC KW-NT1 Navigation receiver at Crutchfield Signature
Have had quite a few JVC HU's and have always had good luck with them.

So what does everyone think. All comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
im running the pioneer avic-z2, no complaints at all. its a great unit

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mandangalo.... can you post some pics of your set up. I'm looking for an upgrade, but want good fitment.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
there are pics floating around of this particular unit. it fits like a glove, our trucks have a double DIN opening. i will get a pic up for you though.

there is a newer model, the avic z3

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am running AVIC F90BT. If you read AVIC-411 forums, they can bew a little quirky, but you can probably get an f series very cheap and I have no problem with mine. There are some new models out that are probably considered better built.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im running the pioneer avic-z2, no complaints at all. its a great unit
Nice. According to Pioneer's site the Z2 needs a bluetooth adapter. Could you explain how that works.

I am running AVIC F90BT. If you read AVIC-411 forums, they can bew a little quirky, but you can probably get an f series very cheap and I have no problem with mine. There are some new models out that are probably considered better built.
I'm currently using the AVIC S-1 for my GPS needs and I must say at times it can be a little "quirky" but I love the speed at which it calculates routes. From what I read these in-dash units are just as quick. Thats a big plus for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
have the 6140 in my 2010. recommend fo' sho'. I will say though, the relationship between bluetooth and the ipod can be described as quirky. you have to let bluetooth link up before you connect your ipod (or iphone in my case) otherwise bluetooth overrides ipod connectivity. this might be different with a standard ipod.

once you connect ipod works awesome and is almost as user friendly as the iphone interface. making/receiving calls adds spice to the mix:

in bluetooth 6140 will mute/pause music and upon ending the call will return to music. when using ipod the music will pause/mute when you recieve a call but NOT when you make a call...you get a desaturadted sound coming at like 40% out of the speakers. its really odd.... kinda goofy but it it what it is.

overall i love the 6140 . worth the 690 i paid through 6ave.com i went through those guys because kenwoodusa notes 6ave as a authorized internet dealer. so the warranty is valid.

the navi is insanely good. dont know much about the POI though, havent really delved into that yet. also the navi on the 6140 is hard drive based. something i didnt know about or read up on before buying.... maybe they are all that way nowadays.

ill try and answer and specific q's regarding the 6140 should you have them.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Kenwood with Garmin. I had one and loved it. All of my Kenwood stereos have lasted with zero problems all the way up until someone else decides they want it more. :laugh: And I believe their navigation is still separate from the head unit, but they are begining to add everything else into thier head units. This is nice. I had an older unit with almost everything added, you should have seen under my dash. Wires everywhere.

Very nice units and two thumbs up for the Garmin.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kenwood with Garmin.
See now this is another big plus for me. At the end of the day I NEED a good nav system. Only half the POI's as some of the Pioneer units though. How is the speed at which the Kenwood calculates routes? Could be better? Could be worse?

Thanks for all the info, everyone. Hate to be a PITA but this won't just be for looks. I actually need the functionality of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts