Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your opinions on which style is better? Thinking about getting the in-channel so I don't have to adhere them onto the actual outside of the vehicle but was wondering if anyone had any input on if they like the in-channel style or had any complaints?

What is your preference based on experience?

This topic was probably already done but looking for fresh opinions ::smile::

·
Registered
125 Posts
I got the in channel version just because i thought the other version just looked awkward stuck to the outside.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long have you had them on? When you roll the window up does it still seal good with no air leaking or air noise in the cabin?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you applied yours was there adhesive tape that was used in its installation? What kind did you get?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think mine are AVS brand. Came with 3M double sided tape (good stuff) already installed. You just wipe down the window frame with the provided alcohol wipe, peel the 2nd side of the tape and install.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...dealer installed my Nissan OEM's as part of the truck package, they are exterior with in-channel supports and I like how they look fitted against the white truck!

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Originally I installed the in-channel type, after having a problem with exterior style on my last truck. After 8 months, I removed the in-channel and switched to exterior. The in-channel, no matter if the original tape or replacement tape of my own (3M 10lb Exterior double sided tape) would not stay in place, the right rear constantly came loose. I did also notice a lot of air noise, leakage with them, highway speed was constant wind noise. While the exterior mount do look awkward, I prefer them, no wind noise, no air leakage, so far after 6 months they have stayed in place.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I had the AVS brand on my Frontier for over 5 years. The worked well right up to the day I rolled the truck several times and even stayed on the truck during the accident!

They got scratched up from brush on the trail.... but so did the truck!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have AVS in channel visors, they are great! I went the extra mile prepping and cleaning the window seals for good adhesion, they aren't coming off any time soon.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
In channel need warm temps and sun to 'seat' into weatherstrip - lube weatherstrip with a little silicone. Have had weathertech on 5 vehicles and no problems what-so-ever.

·
Registered
89 Posts
AVS in channel for over a year on my truck. No issues with noise or sealing. Had the same kind on my previous truck an F150 for about 8 years and no problems either. Right before I sold it there was a hail storm that popped a hole thru the driver side one but I used black duct tape to cover it on the outside and inside and no leak

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
If you get the AVS be sure that the tape is on all of the parts that go into the window frame. The ones for my Xterra do not have tape on the back down piece. I had thought it was by design so didn't think about it and installed them. Now each time I open the rear windows I have to push out on the visor to get the window up as it gets stuck where the tape is not holding it over. To the credit of the place I bought them from, I called and told them of the issue and they sent me an entire new set without wanting the originals back. Though I look in the package and this set does not have tape there either. So I have kept the second set to replace the first when I get them scratched to where I can't see though them any more. I plan to try and get some 3M tape back there, but have not been good about doing it in the past 3 years, so it will likely never happen as i use my AC, even on trails and do not like my windows open. I just have the visors so I can crack the windows when I leave the fridge running at night so the heat that it produces can get out thus making it not work as hard and have the truck not be near as hot when I get back in it in the morning for the next trail run.

·
Super Moderator
10,423 Posts
I have had both types on my 5 Frontiers and my Pathfinder. After noticing how much slower the windows moved up and how much harder it is to wipe the windows after washing the truck I started used the stick on style, I used the alcohol wipes and they stayed put for 6-1/2 years until selling it including a subscription to the car wash and going at least twice a week in warm weather and almost daily if there was snow/ salt on the roads.
For the record the in channels were weathertech brand and made very well but didn't care for them.
It's personal preference but many times people pick based more on looks than functionality.

Clint

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I had forgot to add that I had Weathertechs on a 2006 Frontier. They do not use any tape, at least for the front doors as I had a king cab, and they were fine, but I got the AVS on sale for under 40 bucks for all 4 doors on the Xterra and was actually surprised that they used tape at all.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Not sure if your a CC or not but in my opinion the stick on exterior look better on the back windows because it covers the non working window as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have AVS in channel visors, they are great! I went the extra mile prepping and cleaning the window seals for good adhesion, they aren't coming off any time soon.

That's good to hear! I am leaning towards this product and brand, but tell me when you roll the windows up do you feel like you get just as good of tight seal as if you didn't have them installed? Also on a side not any annoying noise at speed?

·
Registered
352 Posts
In channels for the win.

The tape-on will eventually fly off the truck later in life. Especially at highway speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts