Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I have a 16 Fronty, stock QC 4X4 and I was thinking about doing the IMS. Are there any downsides to this mod? Is it worth the time and money? I'm thinking about doing this mod and the "Y" pipe just to get her to breath a little better. Thoughts and opinions, please

Brad

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
No down sides, and simple to install. Also when it comes to changing the spark plugs, it gives you extra space so you do not have to remove the intake manifold.

Reactions: Blue Devil

·
Registered
235 Posts
The only downside I've noticed is I pay more for fuel cuz I cant keep my foot out of the skinny pedal.

Reactions: Silverfront

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have heard all good things to the IMS on the VQ40 engines so I'm looking to do one as well. Maybe that's why I can't find a used one anywhere....

·
Super Moderator
19,660 Posts
No down sides, and simple to install. Also when it comes to changing the spark plugs, it gives you extra space so you do not have to remove the intake manifold.
You don't HAVE to remove the intake plenum to change the spark plugs. Some people prefer to but it's doable with the plenum in the original configuration. While on the surface it may seem simple to install, one must be very careful to ensure that nothing falls into the intake passages while the plenum is off.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
You don't HAVE to remove the intake plenum to change the spark plugs. Some people prefer to but it's doable with the plenum in the original configuration. While on the surface it may seem simple to install, one must be very careful to ensure that nothing falls into the intake passages while the plenum is off.
Let me rephrase that. The IMS gives you more room to change the spark plugs.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I keep wanting one too, I'm just afraid of warranty issues. Dealers love to point that stuff out

·
Registered
348 Posts
Unless they can prove the IMS caused a problem with your truck, they cannot legally deny warranty coverage.
Yea I know there is the precedent for this (magnuson and moss) but in practice things are usually still difficult. You're then left fighting with a dealer/OEM with considerably more power, money and time. I've had cars modified in various ways from different manufacturers and almost always run into issues. Its the question of whether its worth the fight. Something like this seems all to easy for them to claim it caused an issue, especially engine related (added power, changed airflow).

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Yea I know there is the precedent for this (magnuson and moss) but in practice things are usually still difficult. You're then left fighting with a dealer/OEM with considerably more power, money and time. I've had cars modified in various ways from different manufacturers and almost always run into issues. Its the question of whether its worth the fight. Something like this seems all to easy for them to claim it caused an issue, especially engine related (added power, changed airflow).
Agreed. It seems some think uttering the words "Magnuson-Moss" will have dealers cowering in the corner. lol While I feel kinda empowered by the MM Warranty Act, I think I'll wait until my 5yr/60k powertrain warranty expires. Just my conservative stance. YMMV
The idea of a 5/60 warranty seems bold in that 'they' don't know what/how someone will drive/treat/maintain an engine/drivetrain. I totally get why they would want to steer clear of blatant abuse.

I type all this sitting in local Nissan dealer's waiting area while my 3yr/36k is just a few hundred miles away from expiring. Now's the time for 'them' to find anything wrong on Nissan's dime. Whether overkill or not, I'm opting for the PS & PB flush as well as the fuel induction servicing.
Hope to get out of here for <$400. :serious:

Update: got out of there for ~$314 due to a 20% Off coupon. Very nice service guy & overall experience.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
I highly doubt a dealer would notice you had the Intake spacer installed. I've had my Titan swapped and armored truck to the dealer before and they have never said a word to me.
Not wanting to be argumentative, but were you seeking powertrain warranty work/claim?

Sean, you're likely right that an IMS might go unseen. Mine is stealthy silver and still BNIB from our Group Buy.
~ My conservative thinking is that IFF I was to have an engine issue (minor/major) while under 5/60 powertrain warranty, it would be Nissan's prerogative to find/seek a reason to not honor my powertrain warranty. Why should I provide one? Litigation...I think not. After 60k miles, all bets are off...literally.

If my truck was a toy, then that would be different. But, it's my work truck & daily driver. 'Gots' to have it functioning. 24k miles of warranty remains. I expect to pass 60k miles Summer/Fall '19. IMS, CAI, exhaust, UpRev...I've got plans!
.02 & YMMV

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Not wanting to be argumentative, but were you seeking powertrain warranty work/claim?

Sean, you're likely right that an IMS might go unseen. Mine is stealthy silver and still BNIB from our Group Buy.
~ My conservative thinking is that IFF I was to have an engine issue (minor/major) while under 5/60 powertrain warranty, it would be Nissan's prerogative to find/seek a reason to not honor my powertrain warranty. Why should I provide one? Litigation...I think not. After 60k miles, all bets are off...literally.

If my truck was a toy, then that would be different. But, it's my work truck & daily driver. 'Gots' to have it functioning. 24k miles of warranty remains. I expect to pass 60k miles Summer/Fall '19. IMS, CAI, exhaust, UpRev...I've got plans!
.02 & YMMV
Leaky axle seal at 55k miles was fixed, even lifted with 285's without one question.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Leaky axle seal at 55k miles was fixed, even lifted with 285's without one question.
Rock on!

Replacing an engine would be a prettier penny, methinks.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Agreed. It seems some think uttering the words "Magnuson-Moss" will have dealers cowering in the corner. lol While I feel kinda empowered by the MM Warranty Act, I think I'll wait until my 5yr/60k powertrain warranty expires. Just my conservative stance. YMMV
The idea of a 5/60 warranty seems bold in that 'they' don't know what/how someone will drive/treat/maintain an engine/drivetrain. I totally get why they would want to steer clear of blatant abuse.

I type all this sitting in local Nissan dealer's waiting area while my 3yr/36k is just a few hundred miles away from expiring. Now's the time for 'them' to find anything wrong on Nissan's dime. Whether overkill or not, I'm opting for the PS & PB flush as well as the fuel induction servicing.
Hope to get out of here for <$400. :serious:

Update: got out of there for ~$314 due to a 20% Off coupon. Very nice service guy & overall experience.
Did I read this right? you got your power steering and brakes "flushed" at 35k miles and paid 100's of dollars for it?

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Did I read this right? you got your power steering and brakes "flushed" at 35k miles and paid 100's of dollars for it?
Yep, and am fully aware I did not have to contract w/ them to do so. My truck is 75% work truck as well as 25% daily driver. Nissan knows this. Also received a free multi-point inspection as my 3yr/36k warranty is about to expire. Free check on my alignment as well. Everything is w/in spec and ON RECORD. Also have a seeping rear diff...that has seemingly quit seeping. I wanted this documented in case I have a claim (which requires an actual leak) w/in the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty.
I feel that I have a good and professional relationship w/ my local Nissan Service Dept. Am going to keep it this way while still under warranty.

While a truck is not a good investment, keeping up w/ maintenance IS a good investment. I'm not going to cheap out on my way to 200k+ miles.
$0.02 // YMMV :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts