Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I owned a 2017 4wd SV frontier full cabin. I bought it from Hertz car sale in October 2017. The problem I'm having is that the gas mileage is terrible! Way below specifications. So far I'm averaging at 11 mpg in Davis, CA, a town with low traffic, flat etc... this is 4 miles below the 15 MPG claimed. This is unacceptable. Any suggestion? I'm not towing anything, I'm driving normally on 2wd setting etc... What can I do? Anyone having the same issue?

Thanks

Roberto

·
Registered
592 Posts
How are you calculating it? are you letting it warm up a long time before driving?
Do you drive it hard? i always get around 3-4mpg under the claimed because i drive fast. currently im breaking in my new frontier so i'm driving as lightly as possible and i still only got 14.1 when i filled up yesterday, but that was simply diving miles by gallons in, which a lot of people will say that is not the most accurate way to calculate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! No much warming up.. Anyway this is not a diesel and California is not that cold.

Well, the math is simple: I put ten gallons when the low-fuel light goes ON. Then I divide by 10 the miles driven between two fuel lights ON. Results is 11.3, 11.5 MPG. I drive slow (< 40 mph in town). Short trips of 2-3 miles each. In my town all the streets are flat (no uphill or downhill). My calculation is correct unless the low-fuel light goes ON randomly. I doubt it since I get this 11 MPG pretty much all the times. If Nissan then calculate the MPG in some funny way to fool people and write a number that is not true then it is another story :-(

Roberto

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Not sure how accurate relying on the low fuel light going on.
Typical way for checking mileage.
Fill up to fill up. Record mileage driven divided by fuel taken.
Removes all doubt about miles per gal.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
you need to let it warm up to operating temp, that may be your problem

but you didn't answer,

do you drive fast? (accelerated takeoff)
do you drive fast? (way above the the speed limit)
do you not have Over Drive on? (O/D) on the shifter

look at it like this, if your RPMs go above 3000 regularly you drive it hard, and that is probably why

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks

Thanks. As I wrote above I'm talking about MPG in town at below 40 mph. Nope, no accelerated take off.

So you are saying I should have OD ON on the shifter?

Thanks a lot

R

whistler, I will try to measure by filling up the whole tank but I still need to have a reference point to see when it is time to divide the mileage for the gallons so I think the fuel light ON is a good indicator.

Thanks

R

·
Registered
534 Posts
You don't need a point of reference.... divide miles driven by gallons pumped.

i.e. 150 miles / 10.54 = 14.23mpg

·
Registered
181 Posts
2016 SV crew 2wd here in Georgia is getting 22.5 on highway and 18.5 town driving. I have a light foot and I'm not in a hurry. Change the air filter and give it a can of Seafoam.

My V8 Chevy did better then 11.

As did my last big block (RB) Charger.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Thanks. As I wrote above I'm talking about MPG in town at below 40 mph. Nope, no accelerated take off.

So you are saying I should have OD ON on the shifter?

Thanks a lot

R

whistler, I will try to measure by filling up the whole tank but I still need to have a reference point to see when it is time to divide the mileage for the gallons so I think the fuel light ON is a good indicator.

Thanks

R
Measure the amount of fuel taken on your next fill up. Divide miles driven by this amount of fuel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
you need to let it warm up to operating temp, that may be your problem

but you didn't answer,

do you drive fast? (accelerated takeoff)

do you drive fast? (way above the the speed limit)

do you not have Over Drive on? (O/D) on the shifter

look at it like this, if your RPMs go above 3000 regularly you drive it hard, and that is probably why

Hi Contra

---I live in Canada where temperatures in winter ranges from 5 to minus10 Fahrenheit. Should I let it warm up to operating temp before driving.
--- In city driving should the o/d light be on meaning disabling the overdrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
To get decent reading should do calc over several tanks of gas

·
Registered
215 Posts
I get about 16-16.8 combined mpg. I have 33” load E tires.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That's kind of an odd way you're calculating it. As others have said, you need to measure miles driven between fill ups and divide by the gas it takes to fill up all the way.

I drive my (2wd, so a little lighter than yours) truck hard and I get 18-19 around town and don't do any of the bullshit I've heard people talk about to get better mileage. If you switch to the correct method of calculating mpg and still get around eleven you might have a problem.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Hi all,

I owned a 2017 4wd SV frontier full cabin. I bought it from Hertz car sale in October 2017. The problem I'm having is that the gas mileage is terrible! Way below specifications. So far I'm averaging at 11 mpg in Davis, CA, a town with low traffic, flat etc... this is 4 miles below the 15 MPG claimed. This is unacceptable. Any suggestion? I'm not towing anything, I'm driving normally on 2wd setting etc... What can I do? Anyone having the same issue?

Thanks

Roberto
Chances are IMO it's probably the way you drive it. Like many others said, do the logical way, it's an easy process:

1. Fill tank until full, reset mileage trip counter to "0"
  2. Drive until your low fuel warning light goes on
  3. Fill tank until full again, look at how many gallons you pumped.
  4. Look at mileage, divide by gallons. There's your average MPG (for that tank only).
Keep it in "D", make sure it's only in "2WD", and above all, with all automatic transmissions you are supposed to keep "Overdrive" on. This is the "normal" daily driver setting.

My dealer-new 2014 SV 4X4 Crew Cab "got" only 10-12 MPG when I first bought it, only until I realized I was driving it like a car - and obviously, a Frontier isn't a car. I adjusted my driving style and now I find myself usually around the advertised mileage.

After adjusting my driving style (mainly throttle) and keeping track of my MPG I now routinely get 15-16 MPG easily in city, low speed, short trips (my commute is less than 2 miles away from my house). On the highway (usually driving between 60-80 MPH) I hover around the 17-18 MPG mark... and this is a daily driver, lifted truck on heavier load-E A/T tires, with steel rock sliders, and a bunch of audio equipment. And don't get me wrong - I don't "baby" the throttle or do some other unnecessary mileage "tricks" like letting it coast, etc.

If you're seriously wanting to track MPG changes, get an UltraGauge. I have one in my truck, and seeing the "Instant MPG", "Average MPG", and "Estimated Range" in real time while I was driving quickly made me change how I drove haha

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a 2017 4x4 Crew cab, I have put 20,000 miles on it since I got it in February, my average gas mileage is 18.5.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi Contra

---I live in Canada where temperatures in winter ranges from 5 to minus10 Fahrenheit. Should I let it warm up to operating temp before driving.
--- In city driving should the o/d light be on meaning disabling the overdrive.

As culled directly from the "Owner's Manual"

9. Winter Warm Up
● Limit idling time to minimize impact to fuel
economy.
● Vehicles typically need no more than
30 seconds of idling at start-up to effectively
circulate the engine oil before driving.

● Your vehicle will reach its ideal operating
temperature more quickly while driving
versus idling.

Do not under everyday driving conditions turn the OD off (light ON)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks! No much warming up.. Anyway this is not a diesel and California is not that cold.

Well, the math is simple: I put ten gallons when the low-fuel light goes ON. Then I divide by 10 the miles driven between two fuel lights ON. Results is 11.3, 11.5 MPG. I drive slow (< 40 mph in town). Short trips of 2-3 miles each. In my town all the streets are flat (no uphill or downhill). My calculation is correct unless the low-fuel light goes ON randomly. I doubt it since I get this 11 MPG pretty much all the times. If Nissan then calculate the MPG in some funny way to fool people and write a number that is not true then it is another story :-(

Roberto
Your point of reference is not needed and may be throwing off your calculations as the light is not exact every time... MPG is simple pick one station and if possible the same pump. Fill up the tank until the handle clicks off just one time, meaning resist the urge to "top off" to which zero out the trip meter. Drive until the low light comes on (as a reminder only) refill the tank the same as the first and record the miles traveled. Divide miles by gallons used... SIMPLE YES but now do it at least another 2 times so that you gain a average reading. My 16 SV 4.0 4X4 will average between 16.5 and 18.5 with my norm being right in the middle...

·
Registered
50 Posts
As culled directly from the "Owner's Manual"

9. Winter Warm Up

● Limit idling time to minimize impact to fuel

economy.

● Vehicles typically need no more than

30 seconds of idling at start-up to effectively

circulate the engine oil before driving.

● Your vehicle will reach its ideal operating

temperature more quickly while driving

versus idling.

Do not under everyday driving conditions turn the OD off (light ON)

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks all! I will do the calculation again between fill ups and over a couple of thanks. Then I will update you.

Again, let me stress one more time that I drive normally and my drive style cannot be anyhow related to the poor gas mileage I'm getting. So, either my calculation is wrong or there is something not functional in the truck. In the latter case, I will appreciate your help on what to do. To be honest, I doubt that my calculation is wrong since I did it already 6/7 times and I constantly get the same number: 11 MPG. I will be happy to say that I was wrong if doing the calculation using full-tank as reference point will give me those 3/4 more miles per gallon that I'm missing. Stay tuned.

Best

Roberto

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
You need to gain a little more than 1/4 miles per gallon(.266), not 3/4 to reach what Nissan claims. Just saying.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts