Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Illinois. I have no experience with Frontiers and am considering a PRO-4X for my next truck.

Since 1974, I've owned a Jeep CJ5, 3 Ford F-250s, a bunch of Bronco 4x4s, and a Toyota FJ Cruiser. I would like to downsize to a smaller/midsize 4x4 pickup truck sometime in the future.

Looking forward to learning about Frontiers by reading the forum. :thumbsup:

BTW, my current truck is a 2013 Ford F250:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Welcome to the forum parnass! There is a ton of information to sift through so feel free to reach out with any questions you have. I currently own a 2011 PRO-4X and absolutely love it, easily the best truck I've ever owned and worth every penny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have a 2012 Pro4X and I am very happy with it. In 20K miles I have had two small problems both fixed under warranty. I do my own preventive maintenance and the truck is pretty easy to work on, at least compared to some other late model vehicles. I do not hesitate to recommend it.

I spend some time in the desert and in the mountains. Not too much off road but I do end up in some places where the road is practically nonexistent, truck performs great under any condition I have put it in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2016 Pro4x and have no complaints. It's my daily driver and it has all the options that I was looking for in a truck. Any model Frontier you choose you will still have a great truck.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Not to be disagreeable but I personally would rather drive that F250. What's the reason for wanting to go to a midsize? I would think you're sacrificing more than you're gaining.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not to be disagreeable but I personally would rather drive that F250. What's the reason for wanting to go to a midsize? I would think you're sacrificing more than you're gaining.
Thanks for your insight. I agree with you to a certain degree and that's cause for more thinking before pulling the trigger on a new Frontier.

I've owned nothing but 4x4s my entire life, but I'm getting to be an old man with arthritis problems. The F250 is a tall truck. It is getting more difficult to climb into the F250 cab and truck bed without pain.

I am impressed with the F250 quality and have owned 3 of them (1992, 1996, 2013). My current F250 is a Lariat Supercab which doesn't have much room in the rear seating area. I've removed the rear seats, but still want more room so my dog can ride back there.

A Frontier Crew Cab might provide the additional room for the dog while being smaller and easier get into and to park than an F250. The garage is larger than average, but it is crowded with an F250, 4Runner, and John Deere 4x4 tractor inside. :frown:

·
Banned
37 Posts
Thanks for your insight. I agree with you to a certain degree and that's cause for more thinking before pulling the trigger on a new Frontier.

I've owned nothing but 4x4s my entire life, but I'm getting to be an old man with arthritis problems. The F250 is a tall truck. It is getting more difficult to climb into the F250 cab and truck bed without pain.

I am impressed with the F250 quality and have owned 3 of them (1982, 1986, 2013). My current F250 is a Lariat Supercab which doesn't have much room in the rear seating area. I've removed the rear seats, but still want more room so my dog can ride back there.

A Frontier Crew Cab might provide the additional room for the dog while being smaller and easier get into and to park than an F250. The garage is larger than average, but it is crowded with an F250, 4Runner, and John Deere 4x4 tractor inside. :frown:
Hey buddy, I hear you on the getting too old. I'm right there with you. I have the TX mentality that bigger is better but honestly if you aren't towing or needing the extra power then by all means pull the trigger on the frontier. Just keep in mind it's a v6 with limited torque, room in the bed, and rear seat legroom.

I do have a couple of complaints. I have a winch on the front. I tried to pull a stump out with it and the truck is so lightweight it drug it on the grass rather than rip it out. It was a lilac bush, not a giant tree. Towing 3k lbs is bad, very bad. IFS, don't like it. There are several things I like but I look at my truck like my child. I made a commitment when I bought it and I owe it to the truck to use it as a tool, respect it, and take care of it. I know, that's lame.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I am impressed with the F250 quality and have owned 3 of them (1992, 1996, 2013). My current F250 is a Lariat Supercab which doesn't have much room in the rear seating area. I've removed the rear seats, but still want more room so my dog can ride back there.

I sold my '99 F250 that was just like yours, short bed Supercab. What it boils down to is if you're towing often or not. Running a trailer at highway speeds, even on flat ground, is much more comfortable with the 3/4 ton than the smaller Frontier. However, I don't need towing capacity anymore, hence I ended up with my 2015 Pro-4X. My F250 was tall as well, and it was a stock 4x4 with 33" mud terrains. I no longer grunt out loud when getting in the truck :) You won't miss parking that beast. What kind of dog do you have? I have a greyhound, and also removed my F250's rear seats. I made a plywood platform to even out the rear space, and my dog rode in the back. That truck's rear space was taller with this set up, but my Frontier is deeper, and my dog is much more comfortable riding in the Nissan.

·
Premium Member
5,742 Posts
We have an F350 Supercab for the plow truck here at work. I've never been impressed with the rear cab area. The truck gets used occasionally as an extra delivery vehicle or for transporting items between the two buildings and I've always thought for such a large truck, the rear area is near useless. The CC Frontier has more leg room.

While I love me a nice big truck, a person doesn't always "need" the largest truck. I rarely pull a trailer and I have a small driveway, so, midsize fits me quite well.

Also, the utilitrac system in the bed of the frontier more than makes up for the smaller bed size. We frequently load the F350 with large items and each time I sit there looking at only one hook in each corner, I curse Ford as I attempt to tie down said item.

·
Premium Member
6,070 Posts
After 10 days in a loaner Ram 2500, I found the height of the cab for entering/exiting got really old. The height of the bed & open tailgate were crazy high as well.

FWIW, there are SV and SL trim level Crew Cabs that can be had with a long bed (6'). This is not an option w/in the Pro4X trim level however.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sold my '99 F250 that was just like yours, short bed Supercab. What it boils down to is ... What kind of dog do you have? I have a greyhound, and also removed my F250's rear seats....
Hello ludeykrus and thanks for your insights. I have a Labrador retriever and I would want him to ride in the rear seating area (though not directly on the seats) while my wife and I ride up front. My first pickup truck (1992 F250) was a regular cab with a cap on the back. Our dog had to ride in the bed area and he slid around whenever I made a turn. ::smile::

I don't plan on having to tow a heavy trailer in the future so it sounds like a smaller or midsize truck would work OK.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I'm biased. Get the 4X. For your Lab, the Crew cab seats fold down then just get a waterproof pet seat and door cover(s) or you can build a small platform.

Ok - strike me curious on your username........

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first pickup truck (1992 F250) was a regular cab with a cap on the back. Our dog had to ride in the bed area and he slid around whenever I made a turn. ::smile::

My first pickup was an '88 F150, regular cab with a shell as well funny enough. My dog wouldn't get in the back! :D Apparently, he's a self appointed in-the-cab dog!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts