Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it's been 11 years since I posted on this forum. My intention was to add a post and ask a question about my TPMS light that is on and that my mechanic told me that all 4 TPMS units were sending a signal to the computer and my computer must be messed up. But while poking around The forum stickies, I stumbled upon the transmission/radiator cross contamination issues. I've owned my 2006 Frontier NISMO since new. It has 74,000 miles on it.

I was not aware of this fun problem.

So now I am panicking. I can't afford over $5000 for a new transmission. Are there any projections out there regarding the percentage of trucks that this will happen to? Does anyone own a high mileage Frontier that has not had.this issue? I guess I am trying to gauge the threat level and odds that this will happen to my truck. I have taken good care of it. I drained all fluids including the tranny at 30k and 60k miles. I have flushed the radiator once. But this may not matter. Is everyone doing a preemptive strike and replacing the radiator before it fails?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I drive the 6-Speed manual, so am not well versed in this issue, but a number of owners have added an external transmission oil cooler instead of replacing the radiator. It seems to be an inexpensive and fairly easy job. If it were me, I'd make a repair.

Regarding your TPMS light, there's an easy DIY method to resetting it that works great. Search around for it on this forum and you'll find it out there. All you'll need is a short piece of wire.

·
Super Moderator
11,273 Posts
If you're going to wrench under the hood it's rediculous to add a cooler when for the same effort you can buy a new radiator either upgraded stock or custom. I'd rather have the truck operate as designed, than to lose the heat of the radiator to warm the trans fluid in winter climates. Surely the cause was pure greed, the producer cheaped out on something and the failures ensued. Chrysler years ago bought crap O-rings to save a nickle each and had to replace tons of transmissions. Guess they didn't save anything in the end, did they?

Clint

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If you're going to wrench under the hood it's rediculous to add a cooler when for the same effort you can buy a new radiator either upgraded stock or custom. I'd rather have the truck operate as designed, than to lose the heat of the radiator to warm the trans fluid in winter climates. Surely the cause was pure greed, the producer cheaped out on something and the failures ensued. Chrysler years ago bought crap O-rings to save a nickle each and had to replace tons of transmissions. Guess they didn't save anything in the end, did they?

Clint
Hi Clint:

I am still investigating this, so bear with me please. My truck has a plastic cooler in front of the radiator. I thought the problem is with the plastic transmission cooler that is attached to the front of the radiator? So how can replacing the radiator help? I would have a new radiator , but still have that plastic cooler. Wouldn't replacing that plastic transmission cooler (looks like a little radiator) that sits in front of the radiator be the way to go if I do not want to bypass it?

Thanks,

Bob

here is a picture of the tc in my truck:

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drive the 6-Speed manual, so am not well versed in this issue, but a number of owners have added an external transmission oil cooler instead of replacing the radiator. It seems to be an inexpensive and fairly easy job. If it were me, I'd make a repair.

Regarding your TPMS light, there's an easy DIY method to resetting it that works great. Search around for it on this forum and you'll find it out there. All you'll need is a short piece of wire.
Hi Fitz:

My truck came with an external plastic transmission cooler. It sits in front of the radiator. I believe that is the offending pos part that is the problem. As far as the TPMS goes, I applied the "fix" for years and it would work for 6 months at a time (light would go out)then the TPMS light would go on again. (Let air out of the tires, short out the unit to get it into learn mode, take it for a ride, refill tires etc. etc) . But the "fix" no longer works. I can't get the light to go out. While getting an inspection sticker at my local mechanic, I asked him if he had a TPMS scanner. He did and scanned all four corners. He said all 4 were sending out a signal to the computer and thought there must be something wrong in the computer itself. He told me I had to go to the dealer. That sounds pricey. So I was curious if anyone else ran into this.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Super Moderator
11,273 Posts
Yes the issue is with the radiators built in cooler, not the separate one. Something inside lets go and the fluids mix then it goes bad fast. That's why I said buy a new radiator and all will be good again, my 2007 pathfinder had it fail and I was out of warranty but connections at the dealership got it covered for me.
Bypassing it doesn't mean the rest of the radiator won't go bad anyway so changing it is still a good idea.

Clint

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes the issue is with the radiators built in cooler, not the separate one. Something inside lets go and the fluids mix then it goes bad fast. That's why I said buy a new radiator and all will be good again, my 2007 pathfinder had it fail and I was out of warranty but connections at the dealership got it covered for me.
Bypassing it doesn't mean the rest of the radiator won't go bad anyway so changing it is still a good idea.

Clint
OK I need to beat this horse to make sure I understand what you are saying. Yours said:

"The issue is with the radiator's built in cooler, not the separate one"

Are you saying that literally there is a tranny cooler inside the radiator? And when you refer to "separate one", do you mean the small tranny cooler that is attached to the front of the radiator cooler? I thought there were two, one inside the transmission and the smaller one attached in front of the radiator. If I am wrong, I will be wasting my time and money replacing the cooler in front of the radiator. Because if it is inside the radiator, I would have to replace the radiator.

Is this the one you call "separate one"?

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=251402&stc=1&d=1499640387

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
The cooler inside the radiator is the one that fails. Either do the bypass or change the rad to a new one.

·
Super Moderator
11,273 Posts
Correct it's in the radiator like all cars from way back when. My cars from the sixties had the same setup.
If a replacement by the OEM vendor is now built to not have the same issue then that's one choice, if you're too hesitant buy up to another brand built more robustly.
Completely severing both systems has it merits but in the northeast I need it to warm the trans fluid in cold weather and if it doesn't the trans won't shift as it should.

Clint

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HTML:
Correct it's in the radiator like all cars from way back when. My cars from the sixties had the same setup.

Clint

Thanks for your patience, I get it now. So the picture of the radiator in the sticky showing the two lines (inlet and outlet) cut and capped at the bottom of the radiator are actually from the internal transmission cooler. ::smile::

·
Super Moderator
11,273 Posts
Yes, that's correct.

Clint

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
My TPMS requires a reset on occasion too and I suspect that a TPMS battery is intermittently failing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts