Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some eye candy from a local airshow this weekend. Enjoy.

A-10 Warthog

B-1 Bomber

F4U Corsair - One of only 6 flyable planes remaining of this model.

B-25 Mitchell - You could take a ride for only $450!

B-24 Liberator

And the heritage flight:

·
Registered
295 Posts
nice!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Great post, even better pics. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Awesome pictures!
I've always loved military aircraft, ever since I was a kid.
I bet I built easily 100+ models of aircraft alone.

The Corsair always reminds me of the Blacksheep series that was on television back in the 70's.
I always had to watch that, great show for back then.

And I'd pay $450 for a ride in the Mitchell if they let me man a turret, a live turret.

Quick tidbit, the Mitchell was the only military aircraft named after a person, Billy Mitchell.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Awesome, thanks for sharing. $450 is a small price to pay to experience a part of some cool history. Good stuff.

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
i love the shot of the mitchell, one of my fav's from the WWII era, the mustang is of course my other:goodjob:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Amazing photos. What kind of camera were you using?
I'm using a Canon EOS 20d with a sigma 70-200 f/2.8 on it. Tried my 2x extender, but it was too hard to track the planes. I was hand holding and shooting ISO 200-400 depending on the cloud cover and shooting 1/1500 - 1/2000 of a second.

I too used to love Baa Baa Blacksheep. Great show. Go Pappy Boyington!

$450 would be cool for a ride in a Mitchell, just out of my price range right now. Besides I'd probably spend the money on a racing school first.

The airbase here used to be home for F-16's, now they have KC135 tankers, not as much fun to watch, but cool none the less.

Thanks for all the comments!

Here's one more for the P-51 Mustang fans:

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Awesome pictures!
I've always loved military aircraft, ever since I was a kid.
I bet I built easily 100+ models of aircraft alone.

The Corsair always reminds me of the Blacksheep series that was on television back in the 70's.
I always had to watch that, great show for back then.

And I'd pay $450 for a ride in the Mitchell if they let me man a turret, a live turret.

Quick tidbit, the Mitchell was the only military aircraft named after a person, Billy Mitchell.
Then let you run boarder control for a day... lol Me too!
OP: Great pics!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Man this bums me out....I'm not going to the CAF airsho in Midland, Tx this year....But thats ok, FiFi (the only flying) B-29 isnt flying this year anyway its getting new engines. AIRSHO Official Home Page Fire, explosions, 20+ planes in the air, simulated dog fights, it's awesome. Last year I went on a photography mission and got a 2 day pass for the chalet on the flight line. Great pics and I got to sit by a lot of the old fly boys and listen to their stories, it was a great time!

Awesome pics btw!

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
I love the WWII aircraft. The Corsair is my favorite!

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
I'm using a Canon EOS 20d with a sigma 70-200 f/2.8 on it. Tried my 2x extender, but it was too hard to track the planes.
That Sigma looks like it does a good job.
Anything you don't like about it?
I'd really like to get a zoom but can't justify the expense of a true Nikon lens for as little as I'll probably use the zoom (Nikon D40 here).

EDIT: just checked Ebay, the Sigmas are kinda pricey too. I'm just a cheap bastage I guess.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That Sigma looks like it does a good job.
Anything you don't like about it?
I'd really like to get a zoom but can't justify the expense of a true Nikon lens for as little as I'll probably use the zoom (Nikon D40 here).

EDIT: just checked Ebay, the Sigmas are kinda pricey too. I'm just a cheap bastage I guess.
Well compared to Canon L series glass when I bought it, the Sigma was about 60% of the Canon lens. As far as don't likes, none really other than I wish it had a vibration reduction or anti-shake, feature. I plan on getting a Canon 70-200 2.8L with IS when I can afford it. For now the Sigma does plenty well.
Check 17photo.com (17th Street Photo) that's where I buy all my stuff. Great people.

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
Well compared to Canon L series glass when I bought it, the Sigma was about 60% of the Canon lens. As far as don't likes, none really other than I wish it had a vibration reduction or anti-shake, feature. I plan on getting a Canon 70-200 2.8L with IS when I can afford it. For now the Sigma does plenty well.
Check 17photo.com (17th Street Photo) that's where I buy all my stuff. Great people.
lemme know when you decide to get rid of that lens, if i don't have a canon 70-200 f/2.8 by then i may buy that one:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts