Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a follow-up of http://www.clubfrontier.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1763

after having aprox. 400 miles on my new wheels and tires, i still had tire preasure light on in my dash. so i went on another road trip this weekend. after i got about 30 miles out on the interstate.....YOU GUESSED IT......the light came on!!!!!! i was like WTF....WHY NOW!?!?!?!? why not right away??? i am totally confused as to how this monitoring system works. iv made 2 trips out on the highway and quite a few short in town trips. i talked to my dealer about it and they dont know much. they told me they know what the system is set up to do, but dont know how it works. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: well so do i and everyone else that drives a fronty!!! i asked them if they could call nissan and ask someone there and they said no. its almost like they have seen that iv started moding my truck, and now they dont want to have anythign to do with me. i mean, how hard is it to call nissan and talk to a tech about how this thing works. anyways, im starting to get off the subject....lol. so if anyone knows of an easy fix, let me know. otherwise im going to start tearing the dash apart to see if there is a bulb or wires i can take out. thankssssss

-CH

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I do not know if I'm right or wrong but there should be some type of fuse or relay to power the system or give it current so the bulb in the dash would light up. Like I said I have not looked into it but once I get back my truck I will find out for you.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hmm doesnt look like there is a fuse for just the TPMS in the FSM. Everything appears to be integrated into the BCM and gauge cluster. I think you may be best off just pulling the bulb. Luckily a system malfunction doesnt sound the buzzer, only a low pressure reading does. So you should be able to remove the cluster and pop the bulb out. They normally just snap into the rear of the cluster.

- Greg -

·
Registered
81 Posts
yeah my service department told me the same thing, they dont know how it works and dont care to find out. and dont want to help me with my after market part problems. i thinks that about how the summed it up.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have no problem tearing apart the dash to take a bulb out, but my fear is that i will get it all apart and find a huge circuit board in the back. then all the bulbs, or led's, would be soldered in. :arrow: i have worked with electronics and soldering on boards before......but id me a little scared to start doing it on my guage cluster :!: i talked to my dad about the issue lastnight. i explained how i thought it all worked and he told me to get the stock wheels and just sit them close to the vehicle. i thought it was a good idea because it somewhat makes sense. and since the light didnt come on for 400-500 miles after i put the new wheels on, maybe it would reset itself for another few hundred miles. i thought hey.....ITS WORTH A TRY!

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
Livin_Loud. I have the same problem. I bought some SE rims from someone on Nissanforums.com to replace my crappy steel pot ones.
The SE rims had the sensors in them I checked. However, the TPMS no longer works.... had a flat the other day and it didnt go off...Lukily I had the window open so I could hear the air rushing out.

However, during long trips the TPMS light will come on, with no buzzer or anything, and stay on the for duration of the trip. Couple of runs around town, its off again till the next trip.

I check my tires pretty regularily, and always before long trips, so I dont worry about it. You learn to ignore that light...kinda like my windows washer fluid one.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Inyourface1650 said:
The SE rims had the sensors in them I checked. However, the TPMS no longer works....
When you change sensors you have to recalibrate the TPMS system to the new sensor ID's. Im guessing you missed that step so it has no idea the sensors are on your truck.

- Greg -

·
SHIFT_Otaku(Assist - Adm)
1,482 Posts
I am curious if it is accualy a bulb...

I got my money on a PCB(Printed Circuit Board), and the light being an LED... cheaper to manufacture that way,

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tc3driver said:
I am curious if it is accualy a bulb...

I got my money on a PCB(Printed Circuit Board), and the light being an LED... cheaper to manufacture that way,
im thinking thats what it is too......but i hope to see different when i tear it apart :!:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Shitballs... should have checked the FSM first I guess.

Yeah it's shown as a LED in the circuit diagram. Guess youre stuck with a piece of electrical tape to cover it or going at the board with a soldering iron.

Damn technology... it was so much easier when it was simple bulbs ;)

- Greg -

·
Registered
398 Posts
When you change sensors you have to recalibrate the TPMS system to the new sensor ID's. Im guessing you missed that step so it has no idea the sensors are on your truck. - Greg -[/quote said:
Is this an actual step? Can you give quick description of the procedure please? Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
224 Posts
motocopter said:
Is this an actual step? Can you give quick description of the procedure please? Sounds interesting.
It's a pretty lengthy procedure and requires the use of a Nissan Consult. It may require a trip to the dealership. All of the instructions are found in the WT section of the FSM.

- Greg -

1 - 13 of 13 Posts