Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just want more tire clearance in the wheel wells. I don't know why any of the companies making trucks understand big tires are a HUGE selling point. Why isn't there a small/midsize truck out there with 35s standard? Why isn't there a full size with 40s?

Maybe they think it isn't roll-over safe, but at least give us the clearance so we can easily buy the tires afterward.
That is what dealers around here have figured out. There is a good shop in my town that does lifts etc. They have a deal with the two major dealers (between them it includes Nissan, Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, Dodge). They lift trucks, wheels, tires, stick 10k extra on them, and can't keep them. They are all over the place. Between them and the other customizers of Rocky Ridge and High Altitude, it is a huge $ maker.

You would think the manufacturers would want a piece of that themselves and at least offer a package that includes those things.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My dad just a few months back traded his '07 KC SE for a new Colorado CC LB Z71. Let me tell you, that is one nice friggin' truck. Rides like a car, tons of power, and turns sharper than my short bed CC Equator. Here is what I like over his that make me want these things in mine.

--Armrest as said many times
--CC underseat storage. What we have is nice, but the Colorado has larger sections, allowing for things such as a tool box much easier.
--Ride height. I have my seat raised all the way up. I hate not having a "commanding" view of the road. I'm 5'8. But by doing so, I bump my head on the roof very easily getting in and out. Simple solution, let the truck sit higher.
--Off road stance for the CC LB just like someone else said. I'd have a long bed if they didn't look like a low rider.
--Two piece window in back door. I prefer in channel vent visors and they just look silly on the 2nd gen with the split.
--Interior. Softer touch. I don't mind plastic, but EVERYWHERE is crazy. It scratches like crazy super easy. Give me a soft armrest, door rests, etc.
--MPG. I drive 40 miles one way to work. Partly stop and go, partly 65mph 4lane. I avg 17mpg. My dad averages close to that in his Colorado all stop and go. I should easily be hitting 20 myself in my mind, and I pull out slow, don't gun it etc.
--LED and/or daytime running lights. I drive with my lights on even sunny and 90. Annoying to have to cut them on and off. Either daytime running or have them like my wife's Kia. Shut off after barely a minute, not 10.
--Oil filter. I had a Kia Sedona van that had it right on top. The Colorado does as well. It doesn't have to be on top, but a better way than what we have either taking the whole skid plate off or scratching my hand and making a mess.

KEEP
--Grab handles. I love having them A-pillar and roof as well as B-pillar and roof. I hate getting in and out of my dad's Colorado because he doesn't have them. Handy for my kids and wife as well.
--Floor mounted shifter. I hate column shifters. With a passion.

The truck really just needs refined. This is my second 2nd Gen so obviously I like something.

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't know. We both pull out slow. lol. To me, tons of power isn't pulling out. It's does it keep highway speed with cruise on without shifting like crazy and running super high RPMs. I don't tow, gun it, very rarely haul much.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Don't know if anybody said it, but I'd also switch the truck back to 6x5.5" bolt pattern. Why they ever changed to begin with baffles me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That is what dealers around here have figured out. There is a good shop in my town that does lifts etc. They have a deal with the two major dealers (between them it includes Nissan, Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, Dodge). They lift trucks, wheels, tires, stick 10k extra on them, and can't keep them. They are all over the place. Between them and the other customizers of Rocky Ridge and High Altitude, it is a huge $ maker.

You would think the manufacturers would want a piece of that themselves and at least offer a package that includes those things.
It's not that they don't want a piece, it's that they could not sell the trucks if they went to level most aftermarket modifiers did. They have bumper height guidelines and other things that would not be met with increasing ride heights and tire sizes. Plus the impacts to safety, increased roll over chance, and it wouldn't pass tests as the crumple zones would not align with the test impact zones. Not to mention impacts to MPG.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm betting for the Gen III we get the New Navara as is, with Americanized Gas 4 and 6 cyl Powertrains from the Nissan parts bin and that's about it..

Sort of like the "All New" Tacoma

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Keep roughly the same dimensions.

No god awful infotainment a la CUE or MyTouch. Apple Car Play and Android mirroring.
Yes. One of the things I love about my 2008 is that the HVAC controls are easy to use and understand. Big beefy knobs. I don't think we need complex infotainment systems in the truck. Heck, I don't even need an 8" display, it's just quickly becoming the standard unfortunately.

I don't feel my truck needs a rear backup camera, although in some cases it would be nice.

I am serious about the weight reduction though. I think that should be the #1 goal.

I like some of the ideas about making the Pro-4x more special, that makes sense. I have 265/75 R16s on my truck and it feels like the perfect entry-level size for 4x4 trucks. Also, making the wheels 0.5" wider would probably be beneficial (and would allow for use of larger tires of stock wheels).

I think moving to an 8 speed auto makes a lot of sense from an economy standpoint. Def at least a 6-speed and not a 5-speed auto.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Address ease of entry...geez!
I'm 1.5 weeks into my new '15 SV KC. I find getting into/out of the truck to be a chore due to the low ceiling at the top of the door jam/frame. Having to precariously bend my neck so as not to damage me noggin. I'm not a tall guy, so I would think this would be very problematic for 6'+.
OR, is it just me? lol
I know. Little truck eh?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't see the issue with ease of entering my truck. Maybe it's just my seat position being all the way back, but I have never had an issue and I'm not exactly a short guy at 6'4".

·
Registered
385 Posts
Reactions: RockMechanic
41 - 54 of 54 Posts