Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
There are no real world benefits whatsoever to 8-10 speed auto transmissions.
You're drunk. If you could swap the current 5 speed with a good 8 speed like FCA is using in the Rams, and gear it properly, you'd be looking at another 2-3mpg with better performance.

A V6 Grand Cherokee with the 8 speed gets a good 20% better fuel economy than we do. A V8 Ram quad cab with the 8 speed can get about the same. That's in heavy pigs with thirsty FCA motors.

10 isn't necessary but 5 to 8 has real benefits.

·
Registered
593 Posts
1. Manual front hubs (2wd low)

2. Lower reverse

3. 7-8 speed manual or dual clutch automated manual (no torque convertors please) with a compound 1st

4. Standard 4.10, opt. 4.56 gears

5. M205 front diff standard on Pro-4x

6. Bigger fuel tank

7. Better brakes

8. Optional 4 to 1 4low on Pro-4x

·
Registered
650 Posts
You're drunk. If you could swap the current 5 speed with a good 8 speed like FCA is using in the Rams, and gear it properly, you'd be looking at another 2-3mpg with better performance.

A V6 Grand Cherokee with the 8 speed gets a good 20% better fuel economy than we do. A V8 Ram quad cab with the 8 speed can get about the same. That's in heavy pigs with thirsty FCA motors.

10 isn't necessary but 5 to 8 has real benefits.
No way. No way at all. FCA is having a NIGHTMARE with the 9-speed autos across all platforms. Additionally, MPGs are the same now as they were in 1984 on the Cherokees that had 3 speed autos in the real world. I stand by my statement. Guys were getting low 20s then and they're getting low 20s now. Any small increments come from more efficient engines and lower wind resistance.

And if you look at the truck line...there are no benefits to the 8-speed autos either. Rams are not magically bagging up 3 MPGs from a transmission change. The small increments they've made have come from engine changes, aero, gearing changes, and a slight weight reduction.

I'll take a 4 or 5 speed auto that is proven and WORKS any day of the week over a 8 or 10 speed. Remember, you're still working within the confines of the same gear spread regardless of how many gears you stuff in there. So with a 10 speed, all you're doing is creating MORE shifting which builds up more heat and outweighs any benefit. Why do you think people who build high power race cars use 1 and 2 speed transmissions?

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
No matter what it has to be offered in a manual transmission.

Clint

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
No matter what it has to be offered in a manual transmission.

Clint
I most whole-heartedly concur. AND, I'd love another throw...into 7th!

·
Registered
232 Posts
.Remember, you're still working within the confines of the same gear spread regardless of how many gears you stuff in there. So with a 10 speed, all you're doing is creating MORE shifting which builds up more heat and outweighs any benefit.
That appears to no longer be true: How Many Speeds Is Too Many? - New Car Transmission Technology

Why do you think people who build high power race cars use 1 and 2 speed transmissions?
Because they're building high powered race cars, which are designed to perform a dramatically different task than daily commuter cars, work trucks, etc. Turned around...why do you think manufacturers of the latter DON'T use 1 and 2 speed transmissions?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Nissan along with other manufacturers have already come out with 100 speed transmissions. They are called CVT's :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
An 8 speed transmission shows a lack of torque in a motor. DOHC motors have low torque (or torque at higher rpm's anyway) compared to old pushrod motors (hence 7+ speed transmissions).
A torque monger diesel should only need the 5 speed auto (built up to handle big torque).
That's why those low-torque semi trucks have been using 18 speed transmissions for years, right?

No way. No way at all. FCA is having a NIGHTMARE with the 9-speed autos across all platforms. Additionally, MPGs are the same now as they were in 1984 on the Cherokees that had 3 speed autos in the real world. I stand by my statement. Guys were getting low 20s then and they're getting low 20s now. Any small increments come from more efficient engines and lower wind resistance.
Because those Cherokees in the 80s were required to be weighed down by all the same safety and infotainment goodies that todays vehicles do. Makes complete sense.

And if you look at the truck line...there are no benefits to the 8-speed autos either. Rams are not magically bagging up 3 MPGs from a transmission change. The small increments they've made have come from engine changes, aero, gearing changes, and a slight weight reduction.

I'll take a 4 or 5 speed auto that is proven and WORKS any day of the week over a 8 or 10 speed. Remember, you're still working within the confines of the same gear spread regardless of how many gears you stuff in there. So with a 10 speed, all you're doing is creating MORE shifting which builds up more heat and outweighs any benefit. Why do you think people who build high power race cars use 1 and 2 speed transmissions?
Having more gears means it's easier for the engine to operate where it's most efficient. In the 4 speed on the highway you were either stuck with dog power in 4th or high RPMs and terrible efficiency in 3rd.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd like seats from a Volvo V60 Polestar. And a heated steering wheel. And I think I'd prefer a 6-speed auto, as occasionally it feels like the 5-speed is a bit out of sync with the engine. I wouldn't mind getting better MPG. And as easy as the power tailgate lock mod is, that should be a standard feature. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the truck just the way it is, though.

·
Registered
279 Posts
That's why those low-torque semi trucks have been using 18 speed transmissions for years, right?
Hauling 40,000 lbs on 80,000 gross (or even 105,500 gross) is another story. Even a 500 horse 1500 ft lb torque Detroit needs all the help it can get on the hills.

Max I drove was a 13 speed. Usually a 9 or 10 speed.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hauling 40,000 lbs on 80,000 gross (or even 105,500 gross) is another story. Even a 500 horse 1500 ft lb torque Detroit needs all the help it can get on the hills.

Max I drove was a 13 speed. Usually a 9 or 10 speed.
But it's not a different story, as with the smaller vehicles it's all about keeping the engine operating where it's most efficient. Sure, you could just add gobs of power and torque and run with it but you would do so at the cost of efficiency.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I hear ya Honey Badger.
My opinion is current motors need many gears because they have a narrow(er) power spread. Take away a few gears (spread differently of course) and the motor falls on its face. They need those 6+ gears to keep it up on the power/torque curve to be efficient.
Not dissing your opinion, but thats mine. I sure as h e ll don't want 8 gears in my daily driver car or pick up. Auto or manual.
A semi is a different story, for a different reason. ...Hauling mass weight.
Do you know the rpm spread on most semi motors? Its not much, ie the need to have lots of gears.

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Address ease of entry...geez!
I'm 1.5 weeks into my new '15 SV KC. I find getting into/out of the truck to be a chore due to the low ceiling at the top of the door jam/frame. Having to precariously bend my neck so as not to damage me noggin. I'm not a tall guy, so I would think this would be very problematic for 6'+.
OR, is it just me? lol

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm 6'4" and don't have too much trouble getting in or out. I wish the cab had a little more leg room is all. And I wish the back doors on the CC were suicide doors. Everything else I'd want has already been covered.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Semis have 10+ speed transmissions because they start to make power about 1000 rpm and redline about 2000 rpm. Then they need a super granny low to get moving and maneuver around loading docks but need economy highway gears because 5mpg sucks. I don't know if you've ever looked at the tach on most cars but it goes from 1 to usually about 6 and a little gas pedal usually keeps you around 1.5-2.5krpm and mashing it goes to/past 6. So no, the idea that the additional gears are for narrow powerbands is antiquated thinking in most cases. Yes there are a few cars that have narrow peaky powerbands but they are few and far between and don't sell well: 2ZZ-FE toyota (Celica GT-something, Matrix R, Pontiac Vibe GT, Lotus Elise180 used it. In many cases people got it wanting the 180hp rocket then traded it on the regular one because while it was perfectly drivable under 3k, it had a relative (and severe) lack of torque under 4krpm while the 130hp 1ZZ (same 1.8l) had plenty down there due to the different cam/head design.)

cars have 6-9 speed transmissions for economy/emissions and MARKETING. The one thing that can overcome legislation and standards is sales. America is a land of bests: biggest engine, most hp, most torque, most MPGs, most cargo room, highest tow rating...most transmission gears. It's all about marketing. Most of those cars would be fine with a 4 speed auto, probably better than some past engines due to advances in ECMs along with things like variable valve timing WIDENING torque bands due to the ability to run multiple cam profiles.

That 3 speed 80s jeep probably turned near 3krpm on the highway and was still a dog off the line. it also probably saw 50-60mph max because it was so bad at high speed and mpgs dropped like a stone over 40mph. old one got 20 mpg at 55mph. new one gets that at 75mph. also gets there a lot faster. The 80s jeep also probably revved to 3krpm before shifting and dropped to 1500rpm when it did: dynamic rpms and loads are horrible for emissions. Even with a wide powerband, more close-ratio gears keeping the engine at peak will accelerate better than a few wide ones. My LT1 Firebird has phenominal torque off-idle, peaks relatively low but has a very fat torque curve and it still has a close-ratio 6 speed (If you balance out the rear end and tires, it's actually about the same gearing distance from 1-6 as the v6 cars 5 speed had 1-5). Similar with the Frontier: VVT and better engine management gives an even wider torque curve yet we have a super close ratio 6 speed. Why? emissions and marketing. I love having a 6 speed but I'd love to widen it out some so that 6th is barely usably tall while 1st is almost unnecessarily short.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an crabby old codger too but lets make sure we have evidence to back up the crabbyness and a working solution rather than reverting, technologically, to LA's air quality in the 70s.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I like it kamesama. I'll shift to your marketing angle and the silly logic that goes with it.
And ha! I own a 3 speed '76 Jeep lol! Torque monger 304, but yes it could use another gear or two. I can get 16-17 mpg's with it.
I guess the many speed trans are unavoidable.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I just want more tire clearance in the wheel wells. I don't know why any of the companies making trucks understand big tires are a HUGE selling point. Why isn't there a small/midsize truck out there with 35s standard? Why isn't there a full size with 40s?

Maybe they think it isn't roll-over safe, but at least give us the clearance so we can easily buy the tires afterward.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I just want more tire clearance in the wheel wells. I don't know why any of the companies making trucks understand big tires are a HUGE selling point. Why isn't there a small/midsize truck out there with 35s standard? Why isn't there a full size with 40s?

Maybe they think it isn't roll-over safe, but at least give us the clearance so we can easily buy the tires afterward.
Because it would kill gas mileage. Like it or not but EPA ratings sell more trucks than tire size.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Because it would kill gas mileage. Like it or not but EPA ratings sell more trucks than tire size.
Yea, but why not a desert edition or something? EPA sells trucks, big tires get people to pull in and shop.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yea, but why not a desert edition or something? EPA sells trucks, big tires get people to pull in and shop.
I think the biggest issue with it is the fleet average requirements coming into play soon. If you kill the gas mileage on one vehicle, you have to pick it up on the others.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts