Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this will all be greek to some, but hopefully someone will know what i'm talking about, perhaps 007 might. Basically, there is a trail here in the San Juans known as Poughkeepsie Gulch. I want to know if anyone has brought a fronty or possibly a taco through there, you know anything of that size range. this is supposedly the hardest trail around here and i gotta know if my wheel base is gonna be too long haha. well if anyone at all knows this trail please get back to me.
thanks,
shawn

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i hope you have some rocker/ underbody protection. dont know that specific trail, but just like any other trail a good line and knowing how to take it is paramount

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, rock sliders are goin on on tuesday! i have just learned that buddy made it in his 06 taco. he was locked though, but i have a winch and he does not and there is a winch point at the top of the obstacles. hmmm i guess stomping the right line is what it's really about not the truck it's self.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
oh ya most trucks are pretty capable offroad you just gotta know which way to point them, and if you dont want body damage, knowing when to stop.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I live in Denver, I've never been 4wheelin in the San Juans. Only the roads down that way. My borther goes to school in Gunnison and my girl and i like to spend time in Pagosa Springs. Have fun though!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh man zero you oughta try to spend a weekend down in ouray or telluride, ouray will be way cheaper. but the wheeling alone will be worth the trip. you couldd spend weeks out on the trails and still not see it all

·
Registered
19 Posts
I drove the old Datsun through a lot of the Colorado Rockies. Steamboat, Telluride, Apen, Rocky Mtn. National Park, Gunnison, Pikes Peak, to name a few. I lived in Ft. Collins for a while. I'll have to dig out the old slides and take pictures to transfer to here. Ah the good ol days!:sign7:

·
Registered
331 Posts
oh man zero you oughta try to spend a weekend down in ouray or telluride, ouray will be way cheaper. but the wheeling alone will be worth the trip. you couldd spend weeks out on the trails and still not see it all
Yeah i really wanna take a trip down that why, school starts for me on monday so i won't be leavin town for awhile. A coiple yeaes back we stopped at Great Sand Dunes Natioal Park and walked around. My girlfriend had a Scion TC back then so we weren't doin any wheelin. (that car got 35mpg at 80 mph) thats why we didn't take the Frontier, now she has an 08 Xterra with the off-road package. Can you even got wheelin on the dunes there?

·
Registered
24 Posts
hay there i drove that trail about 3 years back in my old 720 it is tough let the air down for the rocky trail and with out a locker you will need a winch. mine had a welded front diff. but try it you can turn around and do calf pass or enganeir pass and more in 1 day if you have a good map. that is about the hardest trail there. pm me if you want more info. michelle

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no wheeling ont he dunes unfortunately. it's pretty delicate country in that area, beautiful though so we're happy to preserve it. closest dunes are probably New mexico. Thanks michelle, yeah i've got the winch and have been looking for a chance to use it that doesnt involve pulling someone else out of the snow haha, seems to be it's primary job. dumb kids and their drifting. I was just up on engineer pass the other day, that one is quite spectacular. it's great when you climb above treeline, it's almost like being in the hills of Ireland or something, of course this was helped by the deluge of heavy rain we were having :)

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
this is supposedly the hardest trail around here and i gotta know if my wheel base is gonna be too long haha.
maybe somebody will have some good info on the trail. I don't know it.

i am sure its nice...judging by the pics you posted the other day. i say get another capable rig, give it a run and make sure you can either back out or turn around if you decide its too tight. you can always turn around. good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Ive been wanting to hit that trail for quite a while but never got around to it! Check out the traildamage info.
TrailDamage.com - Poughkeepsie Gulch
There's a tight squeeze that might be iffy. On Sunday a big group of Nissans from Ronin will be running it backwards. If you do it let me know how it goes.

My trucks been too screwed up to do much of anything lately.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i decidedd i'm goin for it. I won't be goin with the ronin guys however, i'm still chillin up in british columbia. when i get back i'll be goin out with the guy who pulled this off in his tacoma. should be a fun day. i'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts