Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of those everyone knows but me questions.

Before I start crawling around under my 2006 Nissan Frontier V6 6 Speed Manual 4x4, 265/75/16 tires - How can I identify what differentials I actually have???????. I'm guessing there will be a tag or maybe numbers cast into the pumpkin.

It spec's out to having 3.69 gears which figures out to be equal to about 3.55's with the taller tires. I did find out if I go to 4.56 gears I'll need to change out the front Carrier???? to a 180 carrier for the ring and pinion or a complete Differential with a 180 carrier from a M205???? I'm not real clear on this.

Do I just need a "model 180 carrier" that will mount 4.56 gears in any Nissan front Differential???? Or a model 180 carrier from a model 205 front differential that is an upgraded differential then what ever comes stock in my 2006 Frontier? Or is the 205 a complete front diff from a Nissan Titan( maybe????) that will bolt right into the stock 2006 Nissan??

I'm trying to figure out cost's compared to going to 4.10s which figure out to being about 3.95's with the taller tires which is better then what I have but not by much VS going to 4.56's which figure out to be about 4.39's but require not only the gears but a different gear carrier then what is probably in the stock front diff.

Any thought will be appreciated - I tried a couple of searches on ID'ing differentials with no luck.

LBM::smile::

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gears and Differentials

Thanks Jennifer - I looked it all over but didn't find what I'm looking for.

So - You/your build thread were earlier referred to me and I read through some of it - found some good things - haven't finished it up.

Looks like you have a 2009 king cab with a 6 speed & V6 - I think that is probably pretty close to what I have with my 2006. I understood you changed over to 4.56's. What did you end up doing to get to the 4.56's front & rear?

Nisans are new to me but I'm not new to 4x4's having had (& still have- 2 chevy's, a jeep and nissan)many Chevy's, FJ40's, Jeeps and even a Ford or two - I'm just now learning the Nissan lingo.:serious:

Thanks - LBM

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CC35 axles

OK I did find that I have CC35 axles per the door sticker -But I couldn't find out just what CC35 axles are? Should be a way to find an ID on the axle itself - correct???

LBM

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Since you have the 6-speed, your rear axle is an M226. The 6MT has never been offered with the C200k. If you want to confirm, you can count the bolts...the M226 has 12 and the C200k has 8.

Looks like you have a 2009 king cab with a 6 speed & V6 - I think that is probably pretty close to what I have with my 2006. I understood you changed over to 4.56's. What did you end up doing to get to the 4.56's front & rear?

Nisans are new to me but I'm not new to 4x4's having had (& still have- 2 chevy's, a jeep and nissan)many Chevy's, FJ40's, Jeeps and even a Ford or two - I'm just now learning the Nissan lingo.:serious:
I have an M205 up front.

Your decision on gear ratio has a lot to do with your goals for the truck (what type of build you are planning, what kind of wheeling you are planning on doing, what else you use the truck for besides off roading, etc). I think the majority of people go to 4.10s (unless upgrading to 35s on a 6-speed), but I had specific goals for my rig that made the 4.56s make a little more sense to me (at the expense of highway mileage and a rather short 1st gear now).

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro4X
809 Posts
OK I did find that I have CC35 axles per the door sticker -But I couldn't find out just what CC35 axles are? Should be a way to find an ID on the axle itself - correct???

LBM
The CC35 code should indicate a 3.55 ratio, however, this might not be accurate. If you're lucky, there might still be a sticker on the axle to indicate what the ratio is. Back story...I found a junked Titan that had 3.36 gears, but the door sticker said CC29, indicating the 2.93 ratio. I confirmed the 3.36 ratio by running the VIN and opening the diff. My point is that you can't trust the sticker.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for answering- I understand counting bolts - like the 10 bolt fronts and 14 bolt rears on chevys. So I have a M226 on the rear. How can I tell if the front is a M205?

If I am tracking right - M226 rear and M205 fronts let you just change out to the 4.56 gears without needing to change out any carrier's - correct? Is this what you did - no different carrier for the front??

I actually would like a "shorter" first gear since there doesn't' seem to be a lot of difference between first & second anyway and I want to haul a smaller Motorcycle/ATV trailer occasionally with the Frontier & not have to slip the clutch to get moving. I mathematically ran the numbers for stock 3.62, 4.10 & 4.56 gears and the taller tires difference - quite often there is a difference with math and butt dino's. Since I couldn't find anywhere what the 6 speed gear ratios are I used .6 & .7 for the OD in 6th gear to get an idea on RPMs at speed. I came up with 1856 RPM @ 65 mph on the .6 OD and 2165 RPM @ 65 mph on the .7 OD. 2141 RPM @ 75 MPH @ .6 OD and 2498 @ 75 MPH @ .7 OD and around 150 to 170 RPM more @ 80 MPH.

Does this in anyway come close to what you are seeing with your actual set up???? I live in Arizona where you can legally run 75 mph on some freeways & I generally run between 75 & 80 mph (77-78 estimated mph) and let everyone pass me by @ 80+. So 2500 to 2700 RPM in 6th gear actually seems like a pretty good sweet spot for the V6.

LBM::grin::

Since you have the 6-speed, your rear axle is an M226. The 6MT has never been offered with the C200k. If you want to confirm, you can count the bolts...the M226 has 12 and the C200k has 8.

I have an M205 up front.

Your decision on gear ratio has a lot to do with your goals for the truck (what type of build you are planning, what kind of wheeling you are planning on doing, what else you use the truck for besides off roading, etc). I think the majority of people go to 4.10s (unless upgrading to 35s on a 6-speed), but I had specific goals for my rig that made the 4.56s make a little more sense to me (at the expense of highway mileage and a rather short 1st gear now).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK - this makes sense if the sticker was correct it should say CC36 since all the charts show 3.629 and we all know the charts are always right :) - always look @ the actual axle!!!!!!!! I'll try running the vin - I think I already did that but I'll do it again since I have several projects going and they sometimes all muddle together,

Thanks - LBM

The CC35 code should indicate a 3.55 ratio, however, this might not be accurate. If you're lucky, there might still be a sticker on the axle to indicate what the ratio is. Back story...I found a junked Titan that had 3.36 gears, but the door sticker said CC29, indicating the 2.93 ratio. I confirmed the 3.36 ratio by running the VIN and opening the diff. My point is that you can't trust the sticker.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checking vin #

As it turns out I didn't try checking the Vin for axles on this Frontier. I just tried finding a decoder that would show axles but no luck - lots of decoders but nothing I could find on the axles.

How did you check the VIN on the Titan?? Did you go to the Dealer or do you have a favorite decoder??

LBM

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Thanks again for answering- I understand counting bolts - like the 10 bolt fronts and 14 bolt rears on chevys. So I have a M226 on the rear. How can I tell if the front is a M205?

If I am tracking right - M226 rear and M205 fronts let you just change out to the 4.56 gears without needing to change out any carrier's - correct? Is this what you did - no different carrier for the front??

I actually would like a "shorter" first gear since there doesn't' seem to be a lot of difference between first & second anyway and I want to haul a smaller Motorcycle/ATV trailer occasionally with the Frontier & not have to slip the clutch to get moving. I mathematically ran the numbers for stock 3.62, 4.10 & 4.56 gears and the taller tires difference - quite often there is a difference with math and butt dino's. Since I couldn't find anywhere what the 6 speed gear ratios are I used .6 & .7 for the OD in 6th gear to get an idea on RPMs at speed. I came up with 1856 RPM @ 65 mph on the .6 OD and 2165 RPM @ 65 mph on the .7 OD. 2141 RPM @ 75 MPH @ .6 OD and 2498 @ 75 MPH @ .7 OD and around 150 to 170 RPM more @ 80 MPH.

Does this in anyway come close to what you are seeing with your actual set up???? I live in Arizona where you can legally run 75 mph on some freeways & I generally run between 75 & 80 mph (77-78 estimated mph) and let everyone pass me by @ 80+. So 2500 to 2700 RPM in 6th gear actually seems like a pretty good sweet spot for the V6.

The M205 is the stock Titan front diff. All Frontiers come with the R180.

Your RPM figures are a little low. 6th gear has a ratio of .769.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK - I knew if I kept plugging away I'd find out what I was looking for. R180 front diff M205 for the rear diff - need a different carrier for the front R180 but the rear M205 will accept 4.56 and the 6th gear OD is .769.

Thanks - good info.

The M205 is the stock Titan front diff. All Frontiers come with the R180.

Your RPM figures are a little low. 6th gear has a ratio of .769.

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Hang on, we got sideways somehow. I'm going to start over with a more detailed post.

For the front: All 2nd gen Frontiers come with an R180 from the factory. The 2004-2015 Titan and the Armada came with an M205 (in the front). I believe 4.10s can be run with either diff, but for 4.56s you will need to replace the stock R180 with an M205 from a Titan or Armada. You will need different front axles as well. Note that there are some differences between the 2004-2007 M205 and the 2008+ one.

For the rear: All 6-speeds (regardless of trimline), all Nismos, and all 4WD Pro-4x's come with an M226. Everything else comes with a C200k. In other words, if it has an automatic transmission and no rear locker, it rolled off the assembly line with a C200k. Otherwise, it came with an M226.

I hope that is a little more clear. Certain configurations may require a different yoke or a ring gear spacer in order to move up to 4.56s, but I don't have that list memorized. Your best resource on this subject will be Steven at Rugged Rocks Off Road. I'd highly suggest giving him a call to discuss specifics.

As a side note, does your truck have a rear locker?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK OK Got it now- In order to go to 4.56's front & rear the entire front differential needs to be changed out to a M205 from a Titan or Armada which is a common swap but definitely not a simple bolt in.

Glad we got it squared away since I was leaning towards 4.56's if it wasn't a whole lot more then the 4.10's - like a simple front diff carrier change along with the gears.

So in my case I just want to go down in gearing but not get into a total build. 4.10's will work so 4.10's it'll have to be. I've been looking over the Rugged Rocks site so before I actually get the gears I'll call and talk to them!!

One last thing (maybe??) Do you have any idea what the First Gear Ratio is on the 6 Speeds???

Thanks -- LBM::smile::

Hang on, we got sideways somehow. I'm going to start over with a more detailed post.

For the front: All 2nd gen Frontiers come with an R180 from the factory. The 2004-2015 Titan and the Armada came with an M205 (in the front). I believe 4.10s can be run with either diff, but for 4.56s you will need to replace the stock R180 with an M205 from a Titan or Armada. You will need different front axles as well. Note that there are some differences between the 2004-2007 M205 and the 2008+ one.

For the rear: All 6-speeds (regardless of trimline), all Nismos, and all 4WD Pro-4x's come with an M226. Everything else comes with a C200k. In other words, if it has an automatic transmission and no rear locker, it rolled off the assembly line with a C200k. Otherwise, it came with an M226.

I hope that is a little more clear. Certain configurations may require a different yoke or a ring gear spacer in order to move up to 4.56s, but I don't have that list memorized. Your best resource on this subject will be Steven at Rugged Rocks Off Road. I'd highly suggest giving him a call to discuss specifics.

As a side note, does your truck have a rear locker?

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Outstanding - I am surprised though to see 1st gear to be 4.368-1 - it sure doesn't feel that low to me - probably because I'm used to a SM465 @ 6-1 granny. My butt Dino still tells me to go at least a bit lower so 4.10's are on the list.

Thanks at least one more time!

LBM

If you aren't building this truck as a dedicated wheeling rig, I'd agree that 4.10 makes more sense.

Sure do. See the link below. It is for a 2016 CC, but the transmission is exactly the same as the one in your truck.

http://nissannews.com/media_storage/downloads/2016_Nissan_Frontier_Crew_Cab_Specs_10-15.pdf

1 - 19 of 19 Posts