Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 Pro-4X CC has been very reliable for me, but now the front end is making an interesting noise.

Here is my best attempt to describe it:
- "Thud" noise
- Sometimes heard once, sometimes sounds like it is rotating (3-4 thuds, corresponding to wheel speed)
- Definitely in the front end
- No way to 100% reproduce it. Happens on speed bumps/curbs sometimes, not other times.
- TONS of mud/dirt/rocks got showed up there 2-3 months ago when mudding around. Have been power washing everything out recently.
- Sounds fine driving down the road. No shakes/rattles
- Visual/hand inspection last week didn't yield anything

If you have any ideas, please let me know, and I can look into them.

·
Registered
608 Posts
No those are the control arm bushings popping sounds to me more like your strut mount https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2999400&cc=1442675 or stabilizer shifting have done any front end work previously? like your shocks bushings? leveling kit?.
But you might start by poking around its 8yrs old grab a pry bar an look for movement it could just be a worn shock bushing(eye) your strut mount as previously mentioned, the stabilizer mount or end links or even those the control arm bushings lower/upper. If everything checks then move onto your CV's an hubs

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can check my maintenance spreadsheet when I get home, but I have replaced all QTY4 shocks with new Bilsteins and replaced the front end sway bar bushings in the last 8-10 months.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turned out to be the wheel bearings.
Power washing + mudding + original bearings = bad news bears

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't check, because of how terrible it sounded.
I kept the old bearings to show friends. They sound like they have sand or rocks inside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts