1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XE 2.5L 4-cyl King Cab
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 XE 2.5L I4 2WD planning to lift about 2 inches

Front Struts and Rear Shocks: Bilstein 5100s

On the link above they assemble them on the stock setting and say their springs add the height... anyone have any experience with this? I can order them from another site and pick where to slot the 5100s for assembly but I have read not to have them set all the way to their 2" on other threads here because of stiffness and this option seems to still allow about 2" lift. If their spring is doing the lifting, does that change how these front struts behave as in would it really be comparable to using stock springs set at the 2" setting on this strut or not?

HD-Leaf Springs

I have read other threads here that users love these leaf springs and that they feel fantastic. I have a 400lb fabricated camper top on my truck so it will never be unweighted. Planning to get squared U-bolts of dimensions 7/16x2.5x6"

SPC UCA

LCA adjustable bolts

I have read other threads of users having a lot of trouble removing the stock bolts, any tips before I tackle this project is appreciated.

Am I missing any essentials here?

·
Registered
Nisstec coilovers, add-a-leaf, Calmini winch bumper, some skids, 265/70r18 Pathfinder A/T.
179 Posts
If you dont want to run the 5100's on the highest setting, you could always get a 2" spacer instead. Also, if you go all dogs UCA, with the money saved vs SPC you could pick up ADO ubolt flip kit that comes with beefier bolts.
Either way, sounds like a decent plan.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
By far the best way to lift the front of a 2wd is with CST lift spindles. You'll get 4 inches of lift and won't need new shocks, springs, UCAs or LCA adjustable bolts. Just the spindles up front...everything else stays stock.

Your plan for the back sounds good. Just add some 2" blocks and u-bolts to that and you have the back perfected too.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I'm no expert, but you have chosen quality parts, you have a 2wd, will you be going off road? you may be spending more money than you really need to, I agree with 21 Frontier the ADO UCA would be fine if CBC is a concern, not sure the SPCs are needed at 2" of lift, I would call ADO and talk to them about the front.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I have family that live in an area where you have to go offroad for quite a ways. Nothing like rock crawling but there are a few spots where I would bottom out which is why I took the side steps off the truck and just wanted to lift it a couple inches for a little more clearance. I think 4" is going to be too much for me.

I thought about spacers but don't want to deal with the possibility of CBC and I figure the 5100s sound like they will give a smoother ride. I will probably be 95% on pavement though. Would I be able to use stock UCAs still? I've read a few threads about how if I lift the truck I need adjustable UCAs and cam bolts to get the alignment back to normal.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I've never heard anybody complain about going too high, only that they didn't go high enough.

2" suspension lift on a 2wd is not high enough to induce coil bucket contact no matter if you use spacers or the Bilstein/coil combo to do it. It's not til you get up to 2.5-3" suspension lift that you'll need UCAs to avoid coil bucket contact.

You will need cam bolts if you use either the spacers or the Bilstein/coil combo to lift it. If you went with the 4" spindles you would not need the cam bolts, or the Bilstein/coils, or the spacers, or aftermarket UCAs.

On the off chance that you might want to see what an otherwise all stock 2wd lifted with 4" spindles looks like here's mine...my sidesteps also went up 4".
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm wow okay this sounds like a more cost effective solution. So for the rear, could you send a link of what blocks and u-bolt specifications to look for if I go that route?

·
Registered
166 Posts
^learn something new. But isnt AAL > Blocks especially since OP has a 400lbs camper on the back. Sounds like a no brainer to use spindles than go thru the potential huge headache of taking off the cam bolts if they are seized. And save money on spending on other parts that may not be needed.(i didnt realise lifting a 2wd was abit different than lifting a 4x4)

OP u should also state ur budget aswell, u can obviously get the best of the best, but as some said it may be overkill

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
^learn something new. But isnt AAL > Blocks especially since OP has a 400lbs camper on the back. Sounds like a no brainer to use spindles than go thru the potential huge headache of taking off the cam bolts if they are seized. And save money on spending on other parts that may not be needed.(i didnt realise lifting a 2wd was abit different than lifting a 4x4)
Good point about LCA bolts...they are no picnic when they've been on there for a while. Ironically there's more options for lifting a 2wd than a 4wd. Also ironic is that you can lift a 2wd much higher than a 4wd.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hmmm wow okay this sounds like a more cost effective solution. So for the rear, could you send a link of what blocks and u-bolt specifications to look for if I go that route?
It all depends on how high you lift the back. I also went up 4" in the back to keep the stock rake. I used 4" square blocks (non-angled) and longer u-bolts. I also needed longer rear shocks as the stockers are only good for 2" of rear lift.

But if I had to do it over I would go with heavy duty rear leafs like you mentioned that will give you 1.5" of lift and only 2" square blocks with longer shocks. I wouldn't use blocks over 2" in back to avoid axle wrap.

Any blocks/square u-bolts that are 2.5" wide will work. Mine are actually for a Toyota Tacoma cuz the ones for the Frontier were marked up about $40 more. Just make sure that you get square blocks and not angled blocks. Square blocks will retain factory driveline angles and prevent any vibration.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My plan is to lift the back similar to the front if I can. With the HD leafs and 2" blocks it will probably go up 3.5". The Bilstein 5100 rear shocks say lift up to 1"... do I need different shocks for this then?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
4" front 3.5" back sounds perfect to me. If you went up 3.5" total in back with the combination of the 2" blocks and HD leafs then you would need the longer shocks.

I got my 4" over shocks from Performance Lifts...they are custom made. Bilstein doesn't make lift shocks for Frontiers, only stock application shocks. He told me they take stock shocks for a Chevy Colorado and change the end bushings out to fit my Frontier...that's how they make them. They make them in 2, 3 and 4 inch over lengths. But he told me that the 2" aren't absolutely necessary as the stockers would still be ok at only 2" of total rear lift.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So that being said, if stock shocks can be fine up to 2", then would that mean that for 3.5" lift I'll be okay using 3" shocks?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I would say yes. But I called them before I ordered and asked all kinds of questions like that and they answered them all in addition to telling me things that I would've never thought to ask about. I ordered everything except for my blocks/u-bolts from them. Blocks/u-bolts came from ebay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I value all this feedback so far. I think I have a new plan:

Front 4" lifted spindles - no other parts

Rear HD leafs for 1.5" Lift and then 2" blocks
I am looking at Bilstein 5125s set at 3-4" for rear shocks.
From what I have read, u-bolts of dimensions 7/16x2.5x6 are what I need for the HD leafs so if I add a 2" block to them, I plan to get 7/16x2.5x8.5 just in case.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I value all this feedback so far. I think I have a new plan:

Front 4" lifted spindles - no other parts

Rear HD leafs for 1.5" Lift and then 2" blocks
I am looking at Bilstein 5125s set at 3-4" for rear shocks.
From what I have read, u-bolts of dimensions 7/16x2.5x6 are what I need for the HD leafs so if I add a 2" block to them, I plan to get 7/16x2.5x8.5 just in case.
Sounds like a good plan. If your u-bolts end up being too long you can just Sawzall them off behind the nuts after you do the final torque.

The only other thing you will probably need that I didn't mention is extended front brake lines. The stock lines looked like they might be ok to me but there wasn't much room and I didn't want to take the chance so I went ahead and installed the extended brake lines. The guy at Performance Lifts also recommended going with them at that height so I did...I think they were about $80-90.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Kelly Mack sure is nice to see a member get honest advice and not smart *** comments, (y)

Reactions: Kelly Mack

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did the 4" CST spindle lift on my '14 crew cab when it was new. I have never desired to have a "lower" lift. Block, add-a-leaf and extended shock in the rear. It has been over 100k with the lift and still think it was the best decision. I did the lift in my garage. It's difficult, but doable. Here's a pic
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant

1 - 20 of 31 Posts