Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 4 banger has 28,000 miles on it and Ive got an intake, headers, exhaust, etc. Also running bigger tires. Anyways I've been hitting up a lot of local little spots on the weekends and what not and have been having a blast. Well lately my truck has been feeling kind of funny and today it clicked in my head and I figured out what it was. My truck is a 5 speed and basically when I shift gears and step on the gas my RPMs jump up real quick but the truck doesn't go anywhere, then it comes back down to grab. So, basically Im pretty sure my clutch is gone. Could anybody give me some tips or details about this . I'd like to replace it with a better aftermarket clutch, but dont know where to begin the search and how much money or work its gonna take to replace it. My dad worked in a trasmission shop when he was younger for a long time so he can probably help me do it myself. I just want to know where to get and what kind of decent clutch kit to get.

·
Registered
135 Posts
don't now bout the 4 bangers, but the v6 has a dual mass flywheel (which can't be turned down and has to be replaced as well) if its available I would replace it with a aftermarket single mass, and go with a more abuse worthy disc and pressure plate.

looks like clutchcityonline has a oem one for 175, but no listing for a aftermarket. oem flywheel will probly be 4-6 hundred.... why not try to warranty it? isn't the powertrain covered to 60k

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't now bout the 4 bangers, but the v6 has a dual mass flywheel (which can't be turned down and has to be replaced as well) if its available I would replace it with a aftermarket single mass, and go with a more abuse worthy disc and pressure plate.

looks like clutchcityonline has a oem one for 175, but no listing for a aftermarket. oem flywheel will probly be 4-6 hundred.... why not try to warranty it? isn't the powertrain covered to 60k

Yah I need to call the dealer to see if they can replace it. I just really dont feel like messing around with the dealer. I bought my truck pre-owned with 20,000 miles and now I only have 28,000. But its an 06 and Im not sure if they will with all the stuff I've done to it.

I would rather spend a few 100 bucks and replace it myself with a better one that grabs a little better. I just need someone else with a 4 banger that has done the research and knows what good aftermarket clutches are out there. Ive been looking at the exedy clutch, but it just looks like an oem replacement.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would take it to dealer man. I had a problem with my front drive shaft about two months ago and I had 28,000 miles on it at the time, and despite the fact that I had a lift and bigger tires they replaced it. I was amazed at the service. The drive shaft didnt even necessarily need to be replace and they were like "well we'll replace it just in case". Its definitely worth a shot taking it to the dealership

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would take it to dealer man. I had a problem with my front drive shaft about two months ago and I had 28,000 miles on it at the time, and despite the fact that I had a lift and bigger tires they replaced it. I was amazed at the service. The drive shaft didnt even necessarily need to be replace and they were like "well we'll replace it just in case". Its definitely worth a shot taking it to the dealership
Yah but Im not sure how long it will take for them to do that. Im thinking I rather just replace it myself with a better one so it lasts longer, considering the way I drive my truck and its only a 4 banger.

I found this exedy nsk1005 clutch that might be good. Im just not sure how difficult it will be to replace it myself. Here is that clutch.
New Nissan Clutch Kit, NSK1005

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I doubt the dealer will do anything for you. The clutch is considered a wearable item like brake pads. If it happened within 12k/12m then maybe but after that it is a hard battle.

I know JWT makes a set-up for the 6m but idk about the 5m. It be worth a look.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I doubt the dealer will do anything for you. The clutch is considered a wearable item like brake pads. If it happened within 12k/12m then maybe but after that it is a hard battle.

I know JWT makes a set-up for the 6m but idk about the 5m. It be worth a look.
Yah, exactly what they said. Just talked to the dealer and they said its only under warranty for the first year or 12,000 miles since it's a wearable part. Also, I asked them and they said $700 to replace. So Im definitely not doing that. My dad used to work at a transmission shop when he was my age so he should be able to help me. I've never dropped a transmission before though, but Im pretty smart with that kind of stuff and have all the tools im pretty sure.

So far Ill I've found is that one oem replacement kit by exedy. It should be a little better then stock I would believe. It comes with the pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout bearing, pilot bushing, and alignment tool.

Still wondering if anyone else has found other options for our 4 bangers. Also can anyone break down for me really simply what it take to replace the clutch and how long of a process it is.

When I do do it I'll have to document it and take pics since nobody else on here has from what I've found.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man Ive been searching around on here really hard for the last hour or so and am shocked at how many people were reporting clutch problems early on. Nissan obviously made the clutches way too weak. These were all either 4 bangers or v6, but so far I've found people who had to replace the clutch at 22k, 27k, 35k, 3 times under 44k!, and one under 5K! What the heck, I cant believe this.

And the only aftermarket clutch for our four bangers is that exedy regular clutch. No other aftermarket clutches or any more heavier duty ones that I can find.

Also, Im wondering, do you guys think Im gonna need to replace my flywheel, or do I just need to have it turned like brake rotors? Or will it just be fine? I can't find an aftermarket flywheel either.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dealer wont warrenty it out since its a "wearable part" put u can try, it never hurts
No, like I said, I already talked to them and they said exactly that and cant warranty it.

Nobody has more info to share about this. Now Im worried about possibly needing a flywheel.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I torched mine at 65K, parents yelled at me for driving dumb, sounds like i got lucky haha. I replaced it with the Excedy, got it off Amazon for $100 shipped. Local shop turned the flywheel. i'm at 85k now and it still feels brand new. local shop charged me for about 5 hours to do it all. Nissan here wanted almost $300 just for the parts and $600 for labor.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I torched mine at 65K, parents yelled at me for driving dumb, sounds like i got lucky haha. I replaced it with the Excedy, got it off Amazon for $100 shipped. Local shop turned the flywheel. i'm at 85k now and it still feels brand new. local shop charged me for about 5 hours to do it all. Nissan here wanted almost $300 just for the parts and $600 for labor.
COOL MAN! Thats like something I was looking to hear. Yah I saw the Exedy kit on Amazon for $120. So hopefully I can just get that and get a shop to machine the flywheel and install it myself. Yah my mom wasnt too happy when I had to tell her. But my dad helped me burn it up I think, hahaha.

So did you install it yourself? How hard was it and what did you need? Any tips? Thanks a lot man, I was hoping to hear from someone that actually did it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
i didn't do it cause i didn't have a transmission jack. book time is about 5 hours for a c level tech. the excedy kit comes with an alignment tool. just take your time.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Yah, exactly what they said. Just talked to the dealer and they said its only under warranty for the first year or 12,000 miles since it's a wearable part. Also, I asked them and they said $700 to replace. So Im definitely not doing that. My dad used to work at a transmission shop when he was my age so he should be able to help me. I've never dropped a transmission before though, but Im pretty smart with that kind of stuff and have all the tools im pretty sure.

So far Ill I've found is that one oem replacement kit by exedy. It should be a little better then stock I would believe. It comes with the pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout bearing, pilot bushing, and alignment tool.

Still wondering if anyone else has found other options for our 4 bangers. Also can anyone break down for me really simply what it take to replace the clutch and how long of a process it is.

When I do do it I'll have to document it and take pics since nobody else on here has from what I've found.
Fontana nissan is charges about $300 for 2wd labor. I'm sure they could also hook you up with a kit for a sweet price. I'm unaware of an aftermarket clutch for 4cyl.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yah we dont have a transmission jack, but my dad can probably borrow one from somewhere

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh thats pretty sick. we can probably manage though

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright guys, I ordered the NSK1005 Exedy clutch kit from Amazon. We'll see how long it takes to get here then I can replace it one weekend and take some pics for you guys. Also, I'll probably have to take the flywheel to a machine shop right? Is that what you guys normally do, or do you just have to roughen up the surface or something. I have no idea. Probably just take it to a machining shop that normally does flywheels.

Other than that Im looking for any other suggestions/tips about replacing the clutches in our trucks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i dont know how much a reman flywheel would be at autozone for u, but thats what i did was just buy a new one was only 6$ more then machining, its not reccommended to ruff up the flywheel surface so just replace it or get it turned

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Isn't a new flywheel pretty expensive. I don't think they make any aftermarket flywheels for our 4 bangers. I think I found an OEM one for like $700.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts