Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 98 Frontier 4 cyl 2wd with some serious sag in the front drivers side wheel. The wheel well is almost on the tire to the point when I go over dips its rubs a little. Also when I go over anything thats not real smooth it has a rattle coming out of the front corner. I ordered a ball joint last night thinking that was it. Is the ball joint all I'll need to replace? Could it be a control arm instead or also? Does anyone know of a turn by turn right up on how to replace it? Is there anything other than sockets, hammer, or screwdrivers that I'll need? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Jack up the truck on the control arm, grab the top and bottom of the tire, and push and pull. If wheel moves like that the joint is screwed. To replace them for will just need wrenches, cheater bars, nut buster, etc. The ball joints are press in so you will just to remove the control arms and take them to have some pressed in. It is possible to do it yourself if you want to go that route but I tell you it is a pain in the a$$. But just taking everything apart and taking them somewhere will save you a lot of money.

No chance of something being wrong with the torsion bars? Regardless for a 98 the joints should be replaced, it's not pretty when they break...You will really be looking for some parts then.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx. We have a press in the shop. Whats involved in pressing them? Just push them in and out or something more involved? I just checked the play in the tire when lifting it from the control arm. The tire thats sagging and making all the noise has even less play than the other. It has very little play up and down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts