Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of frustration, I shifted a little too aggressively on the highway today. Immediately after, I noticed the shifting was drastically different. I can best describe it as a random combination of sticky and loose. It still shifts but it's hard to tell if it's in the proper gear until I release the clutch. When I got home, I took the center console apart, took off the dust boot and made my way to what feels like a brick wall: the transmission. I've had a few MTs before and they all had accessible cables and bushings outside of the actual transmission. I need this thing for work everyday so I'm a little hesitant to take a cap off the transmission without knowing what's waiting for me inside. Hence why I sought help on the web.

I've been scouring the internet for about 3 hours now and I cannot find ANY helpful information talking about where the stick meets the transmission. No videos, no discussions, nothing. I'm wondering if its just an issue about jargon, maybe the equipment I'm working with has different wording and names than what I know. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) Where to find parts. Normally when I have trouble finding answers, I look for parts. Then I find out I've been using the wrong names, change my search and find answers. I have not had that luck in this instance.

2) Videos or diagrams describing the assembly

3) Any reassurance that removing the plate that holds the stick into the actual transmission won't supremely screw me over. I'm hoping that taking it apart will help me figure out what parts I need but, again, I need this thing for work everyday.

PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
113 Posts
You can download service manual here which will help you figure out things:

It could be internal to transmission instead of shifter related, like a bent selector fork...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
There's a thread somewhere on here about replacing a plastic bushing at the bottom end of the gearshift just inside tranny.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Out of frustration, I shifted a little too aggressively on the highway today. Immediately after, I noticed the shifting was drastically different. I can best describe it as a random combination of sticky and loose. It still shifts but it's hard to tell if it's in the proper gear until I release the clutch. When I got home, I took the center console apart, took off the dust boot and made my way to what feels like a brick wall: the transmission. I've had a few MTs before and they all had accessible cables and bushings outside of the actual transmission. I need this thing for work everyday so I'm a little hesitant to take a cap off the transmission without knowing what's waiting for me inside. Hence why I sought help on the web.

I've been scouring the internet for about 3 hours now and I cannot find ANY helpful information talking about where the stick meets the transmission. No videos, no discussions, nothing. I'm wondering if its just an issue about jargon, maybe the equipment I'm working with has different wording and names than what I know. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) Where to find parts. Normally when I have trouble finding answers, I look for parts. Then I find out I've been using the wrong names, change my search and find answers. I have not had that luck in this instance.

2) Videos or diagrams describing the assembly

3) Any reassurance that removing the plate that holds the stick into the actual transmission won't supremely screw me over. I'm hoping that taking it apart will help me figure out what parts I need but, again, I need this thing for work everyday.

PLEASE HELP
If you cannot tell what gear you are in just from the detent, then you have screwed the pooch. In an earlier post, another owner could not shift out of first gear. He ultimately had to drop the tranny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts