Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after asking 5 different people and getting 5 different answers about how to use it, I went on the website and here is what I did, this is the official way to Seafoam.

1) 16oz Can
2) Pour 1/3 of the Seafoam in your gas tank.
3) Pour 1/3 in your engine oil.
4) Take the vacum line off the brake booster
5) Start your rig, and slowly start pouring the rest of the Seafoam (1/3) in the booster line (its really easy the booster line sucks it all down) at this point is where it gets odd once you are almost out of the Seafoam pour it all in so it stalls your truck out.
6) Once your truck is stalled out, wait 5min.
7) Start your truck and give it some rev's....it will smoke like a sum of a b***h, just keep giving it rev's until most of the smoke stops coming out of your exhaust. (my rig smoked for a good 2-3 min)
8) Take it out for a spin let all that stuff work itsself out and change the oil within 100 miles.

I did all of this today ran the Seafoam, drove around up and down the freeway through town a little and changed the oil. I will admit I did notice the throttle responce is better than it was, and the oil seemed sludgy and watery if that makes any sense.....waiting to see what more happens!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
so this is like an engine flush or what? and wheres the brake booster line? i should do this. i have 132k

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
^Thanks for the info Red

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I might try this the next time I do a seafoam treatment. I usually just add half in the gas trank and the other half in the vacuum line off the brake booster

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so this is like an engine flush or what? and wheres the brake booster line? i should do this. i have 132k
Ya, its like the do it yourself, engine flush goes through your system, cleans the top end gets the gunk out of the oil and cleans the injectors gets the water out of the fuel all that happy stuff......as for the vacum line looking into your engine bay on the right (drivers side) you will see the brake fluid and the brake booster assemble there will be a hose running from that into your head or block whatever you wanna call it, disconnet it at the booster assembly and pour it into that, sucks it right down.

I have 86K truck runs great!!!

Hope this helped some people, I wish I would of though to take a pic of the oil...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Ya, its like the do it yourself, engine flush goes through your system, cleans the top end gets the gunk out of the oil and cleans the injectors gets the water out of the fuel all that happy stuff......as for the vacum line looking into your engine bay on the right (drivers side) you will see the brake fluid and the brake booster assemble there will be a hose running from that into your head or block whatever you wanna call it, disconnet it at the booster assembly and pour it into that, sucks it right down.

I have 86K truck runs great!!!

Hope this helped some people, I wish I would of though to take a pic of the oil...
awesome thanks for the thread!!

ohh and where do you get sea foam?? ive never seen it before

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
been using this stuff for years and it really does seem to help, it's no miracle snake oil but it doesn't hurt (even tho it will seem like it is at first)

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Your post is standard practice but there is directions on the bottle too. IDK if 1/3 in the gas is the correct ratio but it may be. Then the oil, idk but I am sure there is a specific ratio that is susposed to be followed. The brake booster is a beast of itself. 1/3 is probably enough but 1/2 will not break the system.

I have decided to hold off on my truck since it only has 44k-ish on it but the 1st gens, I'd assume they probably have double that and the SeaFoam will defiently help clean their engines.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Your post is standard practice but there is directions on the bottle too. IDK if 1/3 in the gas is the correct ratio but it may be. Then the oil, idk but I am sure there is a specific ratio that is susposed to be followed. The brake booster is a beast of itself. 1/3 is probably enough but 1/2 will not break the system.

I have decided to hold off on my truck since it only has 44k-ish on it but the 1st gens, I'd assume they probably have double that and the SeaFoam will defiently help clean their engines.
I got the instructions from the Seafoam website and followed them step by step....of course its not a magical fix everything potion, but I've put about a good 40 miles on the truck since I ran it and I can tell the difference in the idle and the throttle seems a lot more touchy/responsive.

I know this is standard pratice but so many people said so many things about it both good and bad that I had to try it myself.

I am a skepikal person, but once I saw the oil and the gunk that was in it, I kinda grew faith that this is more than just another seven bucks in "wonder water"

You can find it in any automotive store or go to Seafoamsales.com, I hope I answered your guys Q's

been using this stuff for years and it really does seem to help, it's no miracle snake oil but it doesn't hurt (even tho it will seem like it is at first)
I will admit, when I was pouring it into the vacum line and the truck was sputtering and the white smoke my pulse did go up a few bpm, but so far so good!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
usually you should change all your spark plugs after you run seafoam through your system
is it really needed? and i have never changed the plugs on mine and cant seem to find where they are

·
Registered
104 Posts
I run seafoam thru my motorcycle quite often, generally 1/3 cup or so every few tanks of gas and about 2 cups into the oil about 100 miles before a oil change. You don't want to run it much further before a oil change as it is a solvent and breaks down the oil. Like I said I run it regularly in my motorcycle and definitely don't change the plugs everytime

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You can get seafoam anywhere, all the automotive stores, walmart, kmart, etc carry it.

I have been using it for years, it seems to work the best in vehicles that don't have a lot of sensors, etc, but I have no data to back it up, just a personal theory. I have used it in my old Maxima, exploder, dirtbike, all my lawn equipment, and the boat. It really is the one product out there besides stabilize that really really works, no gimmicks or BS. It isn't going to fix your bad bearing or solve the leaking rear main seal, but as far as preventative maintenance and a nice good deep cleaning of the motor, it rocks. It helps to break up the carbon deposits that crystalize and harden on the internals of the motor, and all the smoke comes from the excess carbon burning off. If yo have never done it, research some youtube videos. And then be prepared to be amazed when you do it, it really looks like the freakin' motor is on fire or getting ready to blow out.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another good plus to the smoke bellowing out is you can find if you have any leaks, I have discoverd that there is a leak in my manifold thanks to the smoke....I have a feeling its the seal and I also have that hinch that this is not going to be one of those "fun" repairs.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might try this saturday. I was planning on changing the oil this weekend too, should I wait to change the oil next weekend or just do seafoam saturday and oil change sunday?
I would do seafoam on saturday and change the oil sunday....they say up to 100 miles after seafoaming.....

I don't see the need to change the sparkplugs, if the say 1/3 of it in the tank, wouldent that 1/3 mixed in the fuel running through the plugs clean them? I think that might be the reason its split up that way.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have actually always done one half can in the gas tank and the other half in the vaccum line. I have not ever changed the spark plugs afterwards. I pulled them on the 351W on the boat this past summer after I seafoamed it, and the plugs looked exactly the same as before.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I just run about half of a bottle or more in a tank of gas. My truck seems to love it! But its 6-7 bucks a bottle at Wally mart. Seems to work kinda like a octane booster.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
can someone please take a pic of their first gen and show me where the brake booster is? thank ya

1 - 20 of 41 Posts