Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car died outside of the dealer today when i left,ran for about 1-2 mins got it started after 5 tries and went right back.said the ipdm is bad $430.00 to fix $100.00 to look at.well i looked on line and found it maybe the ecu relay.titan forums said panasonic partcmi-d-12v $2.69 has anyone else got experience with the ipdm. i would appreciate it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
You may want to try and find another 2nd gen and swap IPDM's with them. It's a very quick thing to do with no tools required. See if it works.

The relay can be found at napa/parts plus. Has a different model #, etc... when I was messing with relays, the guy let me go in the back of the store and just tear into all of the relay boxes in the warehouse, found one that looks identical, plugs right into the IPDM, perfect fit... I'd tell you the part # if I knew where it was now.

You may have a bad ECM, bad ECM can be caused by a bad ground in the coil-on-plug ignition wiring. Check your grounds on the top right of your engine towards the front. Probably covered by the plastic nissan cover. Check body grounded. Bolted to the left of the battery and the right of the air box.

ECM fried on me because of a bad ground on the ignition system, crappy deal. Nissan says it was my IPDM.. Ordered a used-known-good one, ... no start (no spark).

Changed the ECM, fired right up, ran kind of rough, found the bad ground on the engine explained above, fixed.

Your truck DOES start though, mine didn't.. at all, just turned over, so it's probably got to be a bad relay in the IPDM in your case.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
truck would not start at all today.if you run across the part# let me know.435 was totall. how much was the ecm?i found the relay at onlinecomponets.com part#cmi-d-12v 2.69 you have to spend $35 to make order.this info was found on a titan forum.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Did you swap the relay from the Fog Lights to confirm it was a bad relay before dishing out any money?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no not yet have the unit out and im going by what the titan forums said as far as the location of the relay(ecm relay2nd from left can you confirm?and fog relay 4th from left) this is on the bottom row with 4 relays.i think the titan and frontier IPDM is the same lay out as ares .dont want to fry anything

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they say part is $200 i found for $155 and the funny part $235 for labor.it took me ten mins to get it out swicth relays and get back in.anyway i did the switch on the relays and the truck started right up and ran fine,now i need to get a new relay and se if that holds if not i will get new IPDM.

·
Super Moderator
11,075 Posts
This forum just gets more helpful every day.
Hope the relay is all you need. It also shows you how a dealer could make someone believe they need parts that aren't really necessary.

Clint

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
o.k guys found a place with the same relay(cmi-d-12v)that one of the titan guys said is the one to use.the place they found had a minimum order of $35 so i found it at aplace called digi-key thier part number is 255-2184-nd.no min order, so i got 5, if this is the problem and holds up i will let you know.should have part by fri.and i got five incase anyone else has this same problem they can let me know and i will send them one they were $3.70 each

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
o.k got the relays and they have 5 prongs they need to be 4 prongs.part#s are right.truck is still running with the relay swap.gusse i will have to get the darn ipdm board.just wanted to let you guys know the relay is wrong

·
Super Moderator
19,826 Posts
o.k got the relays and they have 5 prongs they need to be 4 prongs.part#s are right.truck is still running with the relay swap.gusse i will have to get the darn ipdm board.just wanted to let you guys know the relay is wrong
I have a 4 prong relay that I could send to you.

·
Super Moderator
11,075 Posts
If you swapped relays and it worked why can't you buy another one with four prongs? Maybe you had the wrong part# originally?

Clint

·
Super Moderator
19,826 Posts
If you swapped relays and it worked why can't you buy another one with four prongs? Maybe you had the wrong part# originally?

Clint
They are hard to find individually. For whatever reason, Nissan made it so you have to replace the entire IPDM to remedy the problem.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i swaped relays that were on the ipdm.swaped the fog light reley and the ecm(bad relay)so i never had any until the ones i orderd came in.zero six le that would be great. what do you want for it? and when can we do it?thanks

1 - 20 of 58 Posts