Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I have a '01 2WD XE That I did an AAL in the back and cranked the torsions in the front to level it out and I have bilstein shocks:
It went from this:

To this:

Now here's my problem...

1. I replaced my stock shocks, that had about 80k on them and were obviously worn, and it honestly didn't change the ride at all. It's still pretty bouncy and it couldn't handle big dips for anything. Thoughts???

2. Since I cranked my torsions the ride has been obviously stiffer, which is fine, but the problem I'm having is that at these certain points on the 5 freeway in LA There are these "drops" in the pavement. Now my truck used to get a good bounce out of those spots and now that I cranked my torsions it's border line scary, it literally just about gets airborn and I can feel my T-bars twisting I believe. What I need to know is, what do/should I add to the front to make it not have that much travel even if the T-bars aren't cranked that far. Because before when my truck would bounce a lot still I didn't haven't my t-bars cranked at all I don't think. Do I need new shocks? New T-bars? Should I just return my Torsions to factory height? Any answers would be appreciated.

I don't want to mess up any of my components and I feel like I am with having my truck this way and I'm about to just take out the AAL and crank the torsions just enough to level it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
did you do these mods to lift the truck, or for ride quality? or both?
some guys get away with cranking their stock bars, but i think alot of people are much happier using a higher weight tbars and cranking them a little. ride quality would be much nicer than trying to get the same height out of your stock tbars.

i didn't do this, its just what i have observed while being on the interwebs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did it to increase the height and I definitely have looked into getting the better t-bars, the ones I've seen most Use are the calmini ones are those the ones you have heard of people using?

·
Registered
249 Posts
well there you go. and not to be an ***, but if you do end up getting rid of this setup i'd be interested in buying the AALs. but anyway to contribute, i cranked my stock torsion bars to level my truck and the ride did get noticeably stiffer. also what kind of new shocks did you get?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How far is the bumpstop supposed to be away from the arm roughly? I think I'll probly be selling the AAL's when I get back from my trip so I'll keep you in mind :). I actually don't mind the stiffer ride it was just the unbelievable looseness when I hit a dip or something. I got the bilstein monotube gas shocks off ebay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only problem is that the rear feels fine it's the front that is waaay loose, the back is stiff, which I'm fine with. But I will probly just put it back to stock and just lift the front to level it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts