Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I posted this over at the Titan forum before I was kindly directed here! I have the rockford fosgate 6 disk in dash player with mp3 capabilities, and for the life of me CANNOT figure out how to get a data CD to play, or maybe I'm burning the CD incorrectly. I burn the disk in Windows media player as a data CD, which should play in that stereo, according to the manual. But it keeps saying "Check disk" and beeps at me three times. Any ideas, or am I just an idiot?
Many thanks!
Nikki

** I should edit to clarify that I am trying to utilize the mp3 feature of the stereo, and am using CD-R's and burning the files as .wma files..audio CD's play just fine.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
The player may not recognize the .wma format! Do you have a way of converting the files to .mp3? My computer came pre-loaded with Roxio CD Burner software, and one of the options if to create a MP3 disk. It automatically converts music from an Adio CD to MP3 format and burns it to the CD, It will probably convert the .wma format as well. In you don't have than, down load a program called JHymn.exe, google it and you'll find a link. It's a free down load that converts several file formats, including the Apple iTunes format used by the iPod! I converted all my iTunes music to MP3 using JHymn nad burned them to three CDs, and they play great! Much clearer than those FM thingies you attach to the iPod to play through the stereo.

Here's the link to JHymn: http://www.hymn-project.org/jhymndoc/

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I may have to try that...unfortunate because the manual says it should read both mp3 and wma--wma files are even smaller so you can fit even more. If it reads an mp3 CD but not wma, then it's an issue with my stereo. I'll have to play with the Roxio program, as I do have that. Thanks very much for the suggestion!

Nikki

·
Registered
12 Posts
Although I havent tried WMA files in my truck, I'd have to recommend that you ENSURE that you arent using any of media player's DRM capabilities.

Media player tends to like 'securing your files' by not letting you use them anywhere but on your own computer. So if you've checked (or in most cases, didnt 'uncheck') the option to protect your files, either when they were ripped or when they were burned, it could potentially cause you issues like that.

Just a thought.

-Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dsx said:
Although I havent tried WMA files in my truck, I'd have to recommend that you ENSURE that you arent using any of media player's DRM capabilities.

Media player tends to like 'securing your files' by not letting you use them anywhere but on your own computer. So if you've checked (or in most cases, didnt 'uncheck') the option to protect your files, either when they were ripped or when they were burned, it could potentially cause you issues like that.
Thanks, I had not checked that...I will, though. What I finally had to do was to download itunes and convert my library to all mp3 and burn an mp3 CD. WMP 10 does not allow you to burn an mp3 CD, for whatever reason...but even when I burn an mp3 CD with wma files, it won't play. It clearly says in the manual that it will play with mp3 or wma. Oh well, at least I got the mp3's to work...

Dan, this is actually myhusband's truck...he's got the '05 LE CC in Storm Grey w/ dark leather interior...so sweet!! I love it. How's your gas milage, though? He only get 17 mpg max. Had abuot 3500 miles on it, maybe it will improve!

Thanks again for your suggestion!
Nikki

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like a mirror image of my fronty... gotta love the Storm Grey LE's.

I'm with you on that gas milage, though... while I've only put 2100 miles on it, I'm consistently getting in the low to mid 16s running around town (no highway). But I do have to admit that I'm a bit lead footed :) This truck is too fun!

-Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
You know,

As I was sitting here, reading your post and all of the replies, I kept thinking to myself, "why doesn't she just use iTunes"? Funny!

Glad to hear you're using it now. In my opinion, nothing compares to it. So simple.

Eric

Sorry, I realize this has nothing to do w/ Frontys, but I just couldn't resist.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
If you use iTunes, be sure to remember to change the output format to MP3, if not it defaults to the iTunes format and that won't play in the Fronty system, I know, I burned a CD from iTunes and got an error from the CD player, checked iTunes, saw it was not set to MP3, changed it, burned another CD and all is working great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds to me like you ( and dont misinterpret this as condescending) misread the manual. Your player will play wma's and mp3's without fail. However they must be in a audio cd format not a data cd. If yout burn an audio cd using the wma format it will play as well as if it were in mp3 format. However no cd player will play a data disc as it requires the help of a pc to decode it. That is why it is a data cd and can consequently hold more than an audio cd. The only way you are going to be able to accomplish what you want to do is to buy a head unit that has a usb input for mp3 players like the ipod, in which you can physically plug in your ipod and play music from the ipod through the head unit. those typically run about 400.00 plus the cost fo the mp3 player.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure where you get your info, but as someone that has used nothing BUT data cd's filled with 700mb of .MP3 files on my RF audio system, i can attest that it most certainly does read data cds. In fact, you can even organize your .mp3 files into directories and choose which directory you'd like it to play. It also will read the ID3 tags and display the artist or track information.

As for 'requiring the help of a pc' to decode it, thats pretty false. There have been mp3/cd players on the market for upwards of 5 years that have had the ability to read the file systems used on data cds.

In glancing through my manual, however. WMA files are not mentioned, and assumed unsupported. If someone wished to take WMA files from their computer and play them in their RF audio system, they would have to either convert them to .mp3 and burn, or as you suggest, burn them 'as' an audio cd (which converts them to CDA format).

-DSX

1 - 11 of 11 Posts