Nissan Frontier Forum banner

I need better gas mileage outta my 2004 Frontier 3.3 Supercharged!!!

24K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  lemon10 
#1 ·
I think I got about 17.2 per gallon last tank. It is a used truck...but new to me this week, so I am wondering what kind of maintenance u suggest?

I have put injector cleaner in it. A full fluids overhaul is in the works this month so I know what exactly is in it. It has the bigger 17 inch rims...should I start looking for some smaller rims and tires? Also, what about a KN CAI?

I need all the help I can get...this truck has got to last me 5-6 years...its already has 74,000 miles on it. I travel about 40 miles round trip every day down the interstate. I have been keeping it at about 63 MPH...

#3 ·
I don't think most see anything over 15 with a s/c.

The first thing I would check is to make sure the speedo/odo is right.

Then it is preventative maintance and being light on the pedal or your mpg will go down quickly.

Also, if you wanted better mpg, you should have got a car.

#4 ·
yeah i should have...but I am a coach...so I need to haul stuff continually...

I had a 08 highlander sport v6 that got about 24 per gallon...with a max of 30 on one tank one trip...

its a 4 x 2 automatic...

The price was too good to pass up, because my other car (95 camry) was dying and they offered me 1500 on it...which I paid 2000...

If i could get closer to 20...say 19 or say I would be pleased

#5 ·
If you need new tires, then look into some skinnier ones to help cut down on drag. Past that it is up to maintance and going easy on it. The only bad thing is that you need to use premium fuel which is going to cost more then the regular you used in your highlander.

#6 ·
Sounds good...routine maintenance it is...I think I can sacrafice some Gas milage for the hauling potential of my softball junk and knowing it wont leave me stranded on the side of the road like my camry did several times...even when I we worked on it...it still sucked...

I think new plugs...skinnier tires...maybe free up the breathing/exhaust some and I may get closer to 20 MPG...

I do baby it...honestly I dont need to get where I am going very fast...

#7 ·
I had a 2003 S/C CC LB 4x4 and only averaged about 16 mpg, mantinance keep up. Remember low and slow

#8 ·
One last thing to consider. You mentioned and intake and an exhaust. These are both nice but will set you back a bit so you should probably do the math to make sure you will see a savings at some point in your ownership instead of investing and never seeing the fruits of your labor.

#9 ·
you can't invest $$ into getting better MPGs you'll never see the cost benfit. how ever you can do an air box mod and remove the silencers and such from the intake tube giving the truck a smoother intake path and more power, beyond that its still a heavy truck

#10 ·
yea it sounds like you are getting better mileage than most with the s/c as it is. regular maintanence will help for sure (don't forget about the timing belt @ 100k!!). a K&N drop in filter might help a smidge, especially if the old one is clogged up. other than that, run the truck (when not hauling the softball stuff) as empty as possible. best gas mileage tires i know of on trucks are michelin LTX's, they are a bit more pricey than some but they will last forever on a frontier. they ride good, are very quiet, and are the lightest tires in the class. i've got heavy @$$ all terrains on my truck right now and while i like the looks of them, i think i'm gonna go with the mich's next time and see if i can squeeze some more mileage out of mine...

#11 ·
17.2's about the best I've ever gotten on my '01sc, and I had to drive accordingly. I'm sticking w/my Firehawks, have the main resonator removed (don't waste your time), and a K&N drop in. Synthetics in the engine and gear boxes. Tire pumped up. Might want to check the condition of your knock sensor. 14.5 - 15mpg adverage.

#12 ·
I will go ahead and chime in on this topic as i just got back from the shop. I went from almost 20 MPG to now i get 15. I am throwing the PO325 code = Knock Sensor. Shop wants $500 - $600 to do the job. I will be trying the knock sensor relocation mod tomarrow. Granted i am an 01' non supper charge.

#13 ·
Well...an update

Thinking about doing the airbox mod and dropping in a KN during this spring break...but after an oil change and some air pressure in the tires, I got 18.1 and 18.9 on the last two tanks...

I like this little truck...talked to a truck owner at an adult beverage establishment the other afternoon...said he had 200,000+ miles on his 01' and loves it...I hope I can get 200,000 on mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.