Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well iv been driving to alaska from new mexico and its been a good trip so far

but while on the alaskan hw my trucks started smoking and so we pulled over

nice burnt tranny fluid was shooting out! we walked and got picked up finally and taken to town to get cell service. AAA sent us a truck so after 4 hours of being on the side of the road we got towed into fort nelson canada..yay!

honestly the people we have met have been so nice canada sure has some good people, once in town at a rental car place this guy drove us around town helped us get a room and place for the truck to sit and spots on a bus to alaska.

my plan is to leave the truck with this total stranger in canada hah while i go to alaska for the summer.

now i need your guys help. the shop says used tranny 2 weeks of work and about 5000 total. i want to leave the truck here then on my way back through i will tow it home

and rebuild or replace it myself

what options do i have besides used tranny?

rebuilds or upgrgades!? any options would be much appreciated

thanks again to the great people of fort nelson :D

and now i get on a bus for two days!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Glad you are making the best of your time in Canada!
Enjoy Alaska as well, absolutely beautiful place.

My tranny went on a long distance road trip too and I'm not sure there is anything else more frustrating.

Is yours manual or automatic?

For my 2002 5 speed to have the bearings replaced I believe it cost $1800.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Where was the tranny fluid shooting out of ? I'd get a second opinion if you could.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Glad you were treated to some good Northern Hospitality friend, hope you find yourself in Lady Luck's favour sooner than later with your frontier

·
Registered
66 Posts
cAnAdA eh

I believe we Canadians are (sometimes) fondly referred to as
"unarmed Americans" by other countries.
I don't know about that, but I do know we have the best BEER !!!
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
check the hoses to the radiator cooler to see if they just came loose or need to be replaced. the tranny fluid may smell burned, but be sure you aren't just smelling the fluid that flew back onto the hot motor block and fried. if you caught it early, this could be a simple fix depending on what it actually is.
i wouldn't go shopping for a new tranny just yet.

at the same time, with the poor cooling systems these trucks have, i wouldn't be surprised if the fluid is actually fried or the hose just fell off.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
check the hoses to the radiator cooler to see if they just came loose or need to be replaced. the tranny fluid may smell burned, but be sure you aren't just smelling the fluid that flew back onto the hot motor block and fried. if you caught it early, this could be a simple fix depending on what it actually is.
i wouldn't go shopping for a new tranny just yet.

at the same time, with the poor cooling systems these trucks have, i wouldn't be surprised if the fluid is actually fried or the hose just fell off.
i will check that im hoping its not going to cost to much! i just need someone to tow my truck!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Glad you are enjoying Canada and the Yukon.
What year is your truck?
I paid $ 5000 a few years back for a used auto tranny for the '91 King Cab.
Consider getting your truck towed to a major city for the work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts