Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to know if anybody has anything to say about the BD GT.

Settings ? MPG increase ? Power increase ? Anything......

I have mine set at 87 tune with 1 degree advance. I think I feel with the butt dyno an increase in power over stock but I'm getting a little less than 2 MPG more now I'm up to about 20... Mostly city driving

·
Registered
127 Posts
best i have got since the bully dog is 21.5 mpg, that was driving like a grandma

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me too I feel like I'm driving like grandma. My problem is that I live about the 1200 ft level of Mt. Haleakala. According to the BD I use about .5 gal of gas going home and avg.about 15 to 16 mpg going home. Coming down I use about .1 gal and average about 23 mpg.

What are your settings

Anyway thanks for your input

·
Registered
857 Posts
I'm getting around 20mpg now with mine. Same set up, 87 octane, 1 degree adcance. Seems more peppy but who knows lol.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Depends on who you ask, people who actually own and use them, or others who dont know jack, or BD.
There is a lot of info on the triple gt, chk out the "Hypertech Superchips versus thread.
Just check in the search, should find all your answers and plenty of opinions there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i just got mine and got it set up....it's on the regular tune now with 2* advance. All in all, I'm not really pleased. I'm going to try the premium tune this weekend, but as it sits, I might suggest getting the SC instead. IMO, it's easier to use and understand.

I haven't checked the driving coach yet....just got it installed last night.

·
Registered
220 Posts
how much power do you expect out of 87?

·
Registered
275 Posts
it was just more noticable with the SC Cortex. Running premium now with the premium tune.....still nothing great. Seems to shine more from 2nd gear and on.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
I Bought my frontier 2 weeks ago and made the 120 mile round trip to work. Before the BD I averaged 21.5 MPG on the trip. after the BD I averaged about 21.5 MPG. I then installed a K&N Performance intake and I now have moved up to an impressive 21.5 MPG. My driving habits were identical. So I now have $700 tied up to increase MPG and only got a few HP. Everyone can say that the BD triple dog works but I think the product is crap for MPG. Also I have a 84 year old grandma that couldnt't make that driving coach happy. Who is going drive 10 under the speed limit and take 2 mile to get up to 55?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Lol

yah the mileage xs on SC doesnt impress me either. Seemed to be worse on highway, although I think it was better in city. Course it could be placebo effect.
YMMV

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok well I can now give some input now. My truck has exhaust, Volant intake, and Bully Dog GT. I'm netting 25mpg cruising at 60mph according to the GT. And at 45mph I'm netting 28ish. Judging by my gas gauge I believe it. I'm running the Performance tune, +2 timing advance, and WOT limiter turned off. Power increase for my truck was night and day when I put on the Volant intake. Then about 4 days later I put the GT on it and OMG it was nice. I've found the driving coach to be helpful as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Ok well I can now give some input now. My truck has exhaust, Volant intake, and Bully Dog GT. I'm netting 25mpg cruising at 60mph according to the GT. And at 45mph I'm netting 28ish. Judging by my gas gauge I believe it. I'm running the Performance tune, +2 timing advance, and WOT limiter turned off. Power increase for my truck was night and day when I put on the Volant intake. Then about 4 days later I put the GT on it and OMG it was nice. I've found the driving coach to be helpful as well.
I will be blunt but nice here.
There is NO WAY you are getting mid to upper 20s MPG, no way dude.
You can't go by what some little gauge says that uses who knows what to calculate gas mileage.
Even the factory trip computer (if you have one) is fubar, ask/look around on CF here.
The only way to accurately calculate your mileage is manually.

Fill the tank and reset one of your trip odometers to zero.
Drive most of the tank of gas out.
Fill tank again and record how many gallons went in (you used since last fill up), as an example let's say 19.7 gal.
Then look at the odometer you reset to zero previously, let's say it reads 341.x.

341/19.7 = 17.3 MPG

That will be about as accurate as you are going to get.
Do that and then compare to what the BD is telling you, you'll be unpleasantly surprised I believe.

(By the way, when filling up let the pump shut off on it's own and don't add (force) any more gas if you want to be as accurate as possible)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I will be blunt but nice here.
There is NO WAY you are getting mid to upper 20s MPG, no way dude.
You can't go by what some little gauge says that uses who knows what to calculate gas mileage.
Even the factory trip computer (if you have one) is fubar, ask/look around on CF here.
The only way to accurately calculate your mileage is manually.

Fill the tank and reset one of your trip odometers to zero.
Drive most of the tank of gas out.
Fill tank again and record how many gallons went in (you used since last fill up), as an example let's say 19.7 gal.
Then look at the odometer you reset to zero previously, let's say it reads 341.x.

341/19.7 = 17.3 MPG

That will be about as accurate as you are going to get.
Do that and then compare to what the BD is telling you, you'll be unpleasantly surprised I believe.

(By the way, when filling up let the pump shut off on it's own and don't add (force) any more gas if you want to be as accurate as possible)
I've been through something similar on some of the DSM forums. I had a 1997 Eclipse GS that got crazy high gas mileage compared to others on the site. I was running a DC 4-2-1 Header, testpipe, APEXi N1 catback, and Injen short ram intake. I got right at 30mpg out of it. I did the same thing you stated to it which yielded me 420ish out of the tank if I shifted consistently at 3k RPM. I had documentation of it even because no one believed me. My fiancee now uses that car for her to go back and forth to college. She was a little leery about my stated facts but she did the same thing you stated and she got right at 30. The factory estimated MPG for that car was around 17city and 22hwy for that particular car.

At first with my claims on the DSM boards I seemed to of been bashed for my low post count and newbie status. But they didn't seem to pay attention that I was online a lot reading over the posts, bookmarking valuable information, and rarely posting. But it wasn't but a year or two later and I became one of the well respected members. I don't like to post false facts to miss lead anyone. I state from my experience alone.

Another example, seems everyone on the R6 forum states they don't get much more than 3k miles out of a set of tires. Guess what...I'm at around 3,200 miles since I bought the tires....I've got close to 70% tread on my tires. Now I don't carve curves like the worlds my personal race track but I do have my fair share of heavy accelerations on my bike. Maybe everyone on there burns out and hugs the shiz out of corners all the time, or maybe they stick with what others say never thinking that their results could very well vary.

I never said my overall MPG on my Frontier was high 20's. My average is currently at 22-23. That's with me driving like a complete grandma. Doesn't seem to out there to me. What the readout on the GT says for 60mph flicks between 23 and 25mpg and for a slightly below 45 it flicks between 26 and 28mpg (so I'll correct myself and say 27ish). Under that slow of a pace I don't see why it couldn't be in that area with properly inflated tires, no wind, etc.

I really don't want to argue about it and end up with members against members on here. Someone with all the same things done to their vehicle could vary well not yield the same results as another. But for me there is a significant increase across the board from MPG all the way to the butt dyno on my particular truck.

·
Registered
275 Posts
my GT tells me on average - mid 20s also, but I can't believe that.....I fill up my truck around E - and that is roughly 280-300 miles on the tank at the most (city).

·
Registered
229 Posts
I noticed my Bullydog GT fuel economy reads 3-4 MPG HIGHER than the OEM truck computer. I calculated my gas mileage myself for a few months before I got the Bullydog and the OEM gage was always within 1 MPG of what I calculated but now with my slightly larger tires I don't believe it.

I'm in the process of calculating my economy again and I'll use the "calibrate economy" function on the bullydog and adjust it to get it as close as possible to what I calculate. I am assuming the Bullydog's calibration feature is adjusting the Bullydog readout, not the OEM readout. Does anyone know if that's true?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I Love my bully dog maybe a 1 mpg increase but i can sure tell that just the 87 tune boosts power off the line and top end and the wot remover along with a rev limiter increase kicks ***!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just ordered a BD today after paying $3.67 for 87 octane! Hoping for some MPGs, a stern driving coach, and some HP gains. Anything close to screamingdemon's results would be awesome (although I would need more mods...hmmm, not a bad idea!). My average from July 2009 to March 2011 has been 16.81 city / hwy going by the odometer. The best I have seen on the Hwy has been about 21 without any mods at 55-60MPH.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I've been through something similar on some of the DSM forums. I had a 1997 Eclipse GS that got crazy high gas mileage compared to others on the site. I was running a DC 4-2-1 Header, testpipe, APEXi N1 catback, and Injen short ram intake. I got right at 30mpg out of it. I did the same thing you stated to it which yielded me 420ish out of the tank if I shifted consistently at 3k RPM. I had documentation of it even because no one believed me. My fiancee now uses that car for her to go back and forth to college. She was a little leery about my stated facts but she did the same thing you stated and she got right at 30. The factory estimated MPG for that car was around 17city and 22hwy for that particular car.

At first with my claims on the DSM boards I seemed to of been bashed for my low post count and newbie status. But they didn't seem to pay attention that I was online a lot reading over the posts, bookmarking valuable information, and rarely posting. But it wasn't but a year or two later and I became one of the well respected members. I don't like to post false facts to miss lead anyone. I state from my experience alone.

Another example, seems everyone on the R6 forum states they don't get much more than 3k miles out of a set of tires. Guess what...I'm at around 3,200 miles since I bought the tires....I've got close to 70% tread on my tires. Now I don't carve curves like the worlds my personal race track but I do have my fair share of heavy accelerations on my bike. Maybe everyone on there burns out and hugs the shiz out of corners all the time, or maybe they stick with what others say never thinking that their results could very well vary.

I never said my overall MPG on my Frontier was high 20's. My average is currently at 22-23. That's with me driving like a complete grandma. Doesn't seem to out there to me. What the readout on the GT says for 60mph flicks between 23 and 25mpg and for a slightly below 45 it flicks between 26 and 28mpg (so I'll correct myself and say 27ish). Under that slow of a pace I don't see why it couldn't be in that area with properly inflated tires, no wind, etc.

I really don't want to argue about it and end up with members against members on here. Someone with all the same things done to their vehicle could vary well not yield the same results as another. But for me there is a significant increase across the board from MPG all the way to the butt dyno on my particular truck.
Nobody is doubting what the BD is telling you. What he's saying is that the BD is not accurate. No more, no less.

I've been coasting downhill and reset my MPG readout and bang.....99mpg. Does my truck get 99mpg? Of course....at that instant. lol...."live" mpg is simply a tool to help you know when you're burning more gas or not. It's not meant to be numbers you quote on forums.

Drive a full gas tank or two, divide the miles traveled by the fuel used and then let us know what it is. Compare that to your BD AVERAGE readout (not the live instant crap). As has been stated.....my money says the BD average reads higher.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts