Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got done changing my oil and well i was about 1 or 1.5 quart short. i use amsoil and drove about 6 months and 6k miles. how the hell could i be a quart or a guart and a half short? any of you have this problem? engine is a n/a 3.3.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
check the drain bolt for torque.
make sure the dipstick is in correctly as well as reading correctly.
check the PCV for functionality
check front & rear main seals + oil pan.

if it hasn't happened before, its probably high-mileage or failure of a part.

gl

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not a dipstick check, a drain check. oil came out and the pan was barely full, knew something wasnt right. shiner i replaced the PCV not long ago, and no oil leaks and it doesnt burn oil either. i;ll just keep checking the oil a guess. its got plenty of power too if that means anything.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Assuming it was all in the crankcase at some point, it must be at least one of three things:

1) leaking
2) burning
3) herpex

Your PCV valve could possibly be stuck open, but I doubt you're losing ~1.5qt to that.

If you can't find any oil residue around the engine (especially the drain plug, oil pan gasket, and crank seals), and the truck has never exhibited such extensive oil loss before, your best bet might be to drop $10 on a new PCV valve, change the oil as you normally would, and monitor the oil level at ~500mi intervals or so to see if the engine is burning oil.

If you determine that the engine is, in fact, burning oil, the faulty part is likely to be either the valve seals or the piston rings (and perhaps clogged oil drain holes on the pistons).

Valve seals ($45 for all 12 from Courtesy Nissan) are a pretty simple job if you're on the handy end of the DIY spectrum and you own a torque wrench.

Some forum searching (especially w/ respect to the Saturn guys) suggests that you may be able to improve oil drainage with Seafoam or ATF in the crankcase. I have never tried to reduce oil consumption via either method, so your guess is as good as mine about their efficacy. However, a third of a can of Seafoam in the crankcase of my VG33E has successfully silenced a sticky lifter, so I imagine that it might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
378 Posts
i just got done changing my oil and well i was about 1 or 1.5 quart short. i use amsoil and drove about 6 months and 6k miles. how the hell could i be a quart or a guart and a half short? any of you have this problem? engine is a n/a 3.3.
Let me get this straight, you changed your oil and you were 1 to 1&1/2 qts low? Are you draining your old oil into a bigger waste container? Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, if you don't have any leaks, you will be burning it. Unless you just miscalculated something. Check your dipstick as was mentioned previously, and keep an eye on your oil level on a weekly basis. Keep a log and enter the date, mileage and level, of when the oil was checked. That ought to help figure out on whats going on.

·
Registered
378 Posts
not a dipstick check, a drain check. oil came out and the pan was barely full, knew something wasnt right. shiner i replaced the PCV not long ago, and no oil leaks and it doesnt burn oil either. i;ll just keep checking the oil a guess. its got plenty of power too if that means anything.
Which pan?... the oil pan or the drain pan? You may have a build up of crud or sludge blocking the drain hole in the oil pan. Check your dipstick, see where the oil level is now.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Our trucks barely take over 3 quarts of oil. I can't see how that is possible without doing damage to the engine.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I simply hate our dinky little pan. First spare cash I get, I'm buying an extra oil pan and modifying it to hold at least another quart. My 2.5L V6 on the Lexus takes 7.5 quarts. Why the hell would they design this Nissan to only take 3.2 quarts. Stupid.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I simply hate our dinky little pan. First spare cash I get, I'm buying an extra oil pan and modifying it to hold at least another quart. My 2.5L V6 on the Lexus takes 7.5 quarts. Why the hell would they design this Nissan to only take 3.2 quarts. Stupid.
warms up quicker, takes up less space, costs less to service...more oil is better from a standpoint of particulate dispersion, but not really necessary as long as the oil strainer remains submerged during operation and the oil and filter are regularly changed.

keep in mind that the VG30/33 was built to be versatile enough for a number of dissimilar applications, from the maxima and 200sx to the fronty and quest. also, SOHC designs require less oil flow than their DOHC counterparts (especially those with variable valve timing, like the 4GR i assume you have in your Lexus) for adequate lubrication.

all that aside, i agree with you. i wish they would have at least made it an even 4qt w/ filter...it would have made oil changes a little more convenient.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which pan?... the oil pan or the drain pan? You may have a build up of crud or sludge blocking the drain hole in the oil pan. Check your dipstick, see where the oil level is now.
the drain pan, and no new drain pan, its the same drain pan i've used the past 6 years of owning the truck. before i did the changeyesterday my lifter ticked loud as hell and i though it was due to nasty oil, well i drained it and i KNEW something was weird that there wasn;'t much oil in the drain pan. my guess is as good as your guy's.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
So many things can happen with the oil that a measure off the drain will not tell you if it was the right amount of oil in it. The truck will hold probably 7 quarts (I don't know the exact number on yours) but it uses 4.5 to 5 quarts for an oil change. On every vehicle all the oil is not released during an oil change. You can crank it up while draining it and then it will release the rest but you end up with a blown motor. So the temp of the motor, the angle the truck was sitting at, etc. will affect the amount of oil that comes out. Next time you change the oil take a look at the dipstick first to see if its at the same level as last time.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i'm deff. going to check the oil level for now on. because i was running on 2 quarts or so, i know about ahalf quart is in the oil filter. maybe i'll slip into the dealer this week sometime and get a new pcv. i hope no damage was done to the engine because i don'
t know how long i was driving with 2 quarts of oil.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
Didnt you start a thread about oil consumption like a year ago? and we said to take it in while you were under powertrain warrenty...and ya didnt.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Didnt you start a thread about oil consumption like a year ago? and we said to take it in while you were under powertrain warrenty...and ya didnt.
no that issue went away, this is a thread on low oil. and im at 62k miles so warranty it up.

·
Registered
378 Posts
the drain pan, and no new drain pan, its the same drain pan i've used the past 6 years of owning the truck. before i did the changeyesterday my lifter ticked loud as hell and i though it was due to nasty oil, well i drained it and i KNEW something was weird that there wasn;'t much oil in the drain pan. my guess is as good as your guy's.
On a personal level, if the oil your using is not synthetic, and is mineral based, I think your waiting too long at 6000 miles to change it. I change my oil and filter at 3000 miles like clock work. Thats an extremely long time to have crud and sludges, gums and varnishes build up. Those filters aren't big enough to begin with, to hold all that trash. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On a personal level, if the oil your using is not synthetic, and is mineral based, I think your waiting too long at 6000 miles to change it. I change my oil and filter at 3000 miles like clock work. Thats an extremely long time to have crud and sludges, gums and varnishes build up. Those filters aren't big enough to begin with, to hold all that trash. Just a thought.
nope i use amsoil synthetic. i'm going to drive it around this week and chevy the oil level next weekend. im thinkin i should pull the plugs and see if there is any oil getting in the cylinder but i doubt it because it doesnt smoke. i'll have to take a pic of the oil container i put my used oil in and to show you all how low it was.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts