Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased 4 Michelin snow and ice tires for my '08 Frontier XE. I currently exchange my summer and winter tires about every 6 months at a cost of about $80.00 each time. If I had steel wheels (15 inchers) for my snow tires I could reduce my annual expense by about 1/2 or to $40.00 each time instead of $80.00 for an annual savings of about $80.00 a year. So how much would it be to purchase 4 -15 inch steel wheels (OEM) along with their TPMS sensors installed? I plan to keep the truck at least 10 years. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Another thing to consider:

If you are going to run tpms in your "other" set of wheels, each time you switch to the "other" set of wheels you will need the tpms sensors registered on the truck.

I don't think the truck can understand > 4 tpms at a time.

I do not know the cost of the wheels you desire.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
The 15s are next to free. You should be able to pick up a set for less then 100 bucks on ebay, cl or the forum.

Having 2 TPMS sets will require the truck to be re-programed each time you swap wheels.

Most just live with the light during the winter.

If you are going to keep it for 10 years thou, I would get the wheels ASAP so you don't have to fool around with swapping tires and other crap on your current set of rims.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I recently purchased 4 Michelin snow and ice tires for my '08 Frontier XE. I currently exchange my summer and winter tires about every 6 months at a cost of about $80.00 each time. If I had steel wheels (15 inchers) for my snow tires I could reduce my annual expense by about 1/2 or to $40.00 each time instead of $80.00 for an annual savings of about $80.00 a year. So how much would it be to purchase 4 -15 inch steel wheels (OEM) along with their TPMS sensors installed? I plan to keep the truck at least 10 years. Thanks for the help.
Mustard23 has the right idea, all season radials. If it gets really bad during the winter, you can chain them up.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not run an all session tire? Just never change them?
I made the decision last Fall to purchase the Michellin snow and ice tires as I was traveling thru the mountains out West during the winter and wanted the best traction I could get (remember this is 2wd and not 4wd). The Michellins worked great but they have a soft tread that wears fast so the advice I got from the dealership was to change them out in order to extend their life and if I keep the truck for 10 years that seems like reasonable advice. My two sets of tires should last me 10 years. I am just trying to see if there might be a cheaper way to do the changeouts each season that would save a few bucks.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
why would you pay someone to change the tires after you get another set of rims?

·
Registered
201 Posts
why would you pay someone to change the tires after you get another set of rims?
+1

Also I have never needed to own "winter" tires. I lived in the Alps for the last 5 years while I was in the Army. Over there I drove a BMW 325i with all seasons, never found myself in need of anything else. Just my .02

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,117 Posts
Most all seasons are fine in the snow, true. But having a winter specific tire is far superior on ice and slush. All seasons get you moving, winter tires stop you. Some provinces in Canada have laws where snow tires are mandatory.

To the OP - get another set of rims asap. Paying to swap them out each year is just wasting money.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What equipment do I need to change my own wheels and tires? Will I get the torque on the bolts correct? I don't have a torque wrench. This just shows how little I know about car stuff.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Does anyone know if the tpms light is on, will it fail the emissions test? One more thing, if you swap out your tires and later put them back on will the vehicle recognize (remember) the old tire sensors or must they be reprogrammed each time? Maybe TPMS would be better described as a PITA.:censor:

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Does anyone know if the tpms light is on, will it fail the emissions test? One more thing, if you swap out your tires and later put them back on will the vehicle recognize (remember) the old tire sensors or must they be reprogrammed each time? Maybe TPMS would be better described as a PITA.:censor:
i would would say with 99% surety that Md will require your light to be off. its a safety feature and they dont like people messing with safety features.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts