Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '01 S/C Fronty has had a cooling system problem since 45K miles. It now has 80K and I hope I've solved it.
It started w/a clogged radiator @ 45K. I'd flushed it at 30K so I wasn't expecting this. Dealer wanted $850 to fix it, $425 for the radiator alone. Nah. Pulled the radiator and had it cored at a local shop ($80). Threw in a new t-stat for good measure.Problem solved. Or so I thought.
6 months later the heater core gave it up. Jeez. $160 and 2 weekends later, not to mention $175 to have the A/C recharged (had to pull the lines to get the core out) and I figure I'm back in business. Not.
6 more months and the radiator is plugged again :x Time for a real solution. After a little online searchin', google and some forums, I came upon radiatorbarn.com. They had a 3 core, heavy duty, radiator for my Fronty for $173 shipped w/a lifetime warrenty. OK, so I rolled the dice. That unit was on my doorstep in less than 48 hours. Got it in today. Nice, heavy unit. Holds 50% more "water" than the stock, single core, aluminum radiator.
My only concern is the copper construction. Hate to have a nobility problem w/my new aluminum heater core. Oh, well, now if the water pump can hold out another year until I do the timing belts, I'll be a happy camper.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow man, I hae 95,000 on my 2001 and haven't had any coolant related issues. Your truck must have been made on a friday or monday!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, yeah, that's what I figured, too. Other than the cooling problems, and learning how to keep the front pads from squeeking, I havn't had any other issues.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maybe after a holiday/3-day weekend!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the cooling system wrapped me around a pole for a while. Same with those touchy brakes. I think the truck is calmed down now. I think it was just jealous seeing my old '87 Mitsubishi sport sitting in the garage. That truck worked hard for 15 years and now it's the Fronty's turn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts