Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and looked at the technical service bulletins for our trucks. I came upon the timing chain bulletin. Looking at the years and models they have the Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra listed. OK, no big deal but looking at the years they list all from 2005 through 2010.
Wouldn't you think once the issue was discovered (a long while back) they would make sure all the chains and guides in new engines would be flawless?

Clint

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
you would think,
but you have a nice stock of chains to deplete by use or by dumpster. might as well take your chances. also, this covers is the chain quality isn't perfect.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i'm guessing considering the somewhat low percentage of owners that have the problem at a premature mileage i'm sure its much cheaper for them to fix the ones that have problems under warranty than it is to just throw away their stock of chains and have to rush a mass of new ones meanwhile halting productions till they can get new chains.

·
Registered
567 Posts
A lot of mfg will have a prob on a vehicle and never address it. They simply play the numbers, & they really don't give a rats butt. It pays to get an extended warranty

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
well, play the numbers this way.
How many 4.0L engine that were produced in the last 5 years were in totaled that never got fixed?
How many were in vehicles that get driven 6000 miles per year like my 06X?

·
Registered
637 Posts
It is frusterating as I bought my 09' before the revised TSB was issued. I was assured by more than one dealership in sales, service, and parts that the issue was corrected and would not affect my 09' and that was part of the selling point. About 5 months later a revised TSB comes out and includes not only 09's, but 10's too. Go figure...

Damn dealers will get you everytime. I should have known better.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
i'm guessing considering the somewhat low percentage of owners that have the problem at a premature mileage
Mine was done around 4500 miles..

It is frustrating. Atleast they fixed the tranny/radiator issues ...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

i bet it is, that just goes to show you the inconsistency of these american produced parts for these motors, you had it at 4500 others have it at 20k others 35k some 60k and some wont have it till the normal time to change the chains out. i love my country but they need to put a little pride in their work and make some better products

·
Registered
637 Posts

That must be the lowest mileage yet. Was it really loud and noticable, or faint?

I listen to my truck and sometimes think I hear a slight whine, but I listen closer and it sounds like just the belts, pulleys, etc and appears normal. If it is something I assume it will just get louder over time until I can confirm that it is an issue, I've got plenty of warranty time and am not really worried about it.

I just dont really like the idea of someone tearing into my brand new engine.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
That must be the lowest mileage yet. Was it really loud and noticable, or faint?
I just dont really like the idea of someone tearing into my brand new engine.
It was faint, but I knew what I was listening for. Plus, it was consistent with acceleration/ RPM's. Faint..

I agree, I didn't want somebody removing the whole front of the motor, all the factory seals.... GGRR!!! At 20k, he runs perfect and I look at those seals time to time. When I put in my CAI, I took off the plastic shrouds, all looked perfect :) They do enough of these...they know hehe.

I've called 4 dealers, and of all of them that did this on Pathy/fronties/X's so on, only 1 dealer told me a guy came back once. So it seems its a 99.9% fix when they do it.

·
Super Moderator
12,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is good to know, when do they cut off the warrantied replacement? 36k miles?

Lucky for me I have a lifetime (ha) power train and drive line warranty (double ha, warranties crack me up).
Powertrain warranty is for 5 yrs. 60,000 miles.

Clint

·
Registered
40 Posts
Powertrain warranty is for 5 yrs. 60,000 miles.

Clint
emphasis on the 60K.... 2nd gen fronty owners should ((((knock on wood)))). I posted I didn't have this problem on a poll on who had it and who didn't in here. The very next day I heard the knocking and took it the dealership and they confirmed I got that issue.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My 5 years ends in September... I only have 30K miles and I haven't driven it more than 3k miles this year... im thinking of "claiming i hear it" in August and just getting them changed before I lose my warranty...

·
Registered
40 Posts
if they cant confirm it then they wont replace it.
that's true.... buddy of mine went to the dealership and he said he heard the chain. The dealership gave him a receipt that said what he heard so he has a record that he brought it in before his warranty expired at 60K. At least he has something in writing that he brought it in for that problem and they did nothing about it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
if they cant confirm it then they wont replace it.
true... but as was said above it gets the complaint documented

besides, they owe me for the 10 trips for my leaky rear axle seals

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.