Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fully intending on going in on a $600+ month payment for a low mileage midsized/full sized truck, but I couldn’t pass up a new frontier. The payment is way lower and the capabilities surpass what I even need a truck for. So I figured why get a big truck when I’m not towing more than 5,000lbs and the bed on the frontier isn’t much smaller then most short box trucks? Especially with the bed extender it’s not that small. Plus, the power of the ‘21 and the utilitrack system are huge bonus’s. I couldn’t be happier!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
33 Posts
Why not a 22? Not much price difference, not much difference from mechanism but way better driving experience with those techs and quite cabin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Why not a 22? Not much price difference, not much difference from mechanism but way better driving experience with those techs and quite cabin
The mark up in my area is actually significant. And even if the overall design of the 21 isn’t much different from years prior, I like it. It’s capable looking, solid ride height, nice payload, etc. There is a reason it lasted so long.

Also, I’ve noticed you trolling quite a bit of 21 frontier threads. What’s the agenda haha? I’ve been in car forums for almost 20 years (mid Atlantic cobra association) so I’ve seen quite a bit of salesman trolls.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Welcome to the club! Good looking truck you got there.

·
Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
202 Posts
Not much price in difference, ya say? Sticker on my ‘21 SV 4x4 was $35k. What’re people paying for ‘22’s again? $42k, $45k, $50k, depending on how much the dealer screws ‘em? I’d say that’s significant. And all that extra dough is just paying to get the truck up to the standard of some of the competition, but not close enough to BE competition. Where’s the crawl control? Where’s the lane-keeping assist? Where’s the front locker, or at least an LSD? And it still sits too low, especially in the front. Besides, if I wanted my truck to look like a Tacoma, I woulda bought one. Even if price wasn’t a difference, I STILL would’ve chosen another Gen 2. They can keep all the electronanny driver aid BS. If I did want it, there are better & more proven systems out there than what they put in the new Frontier to justify the giant price increase.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not much price in difference, ya say? Sticker on my ‘21 SV 4x4 was $35k. What’re people paying for ‘22’s again? $42k, $45k, $50k, depending on how much the dealer screws ‘em? I’d say that’s significant.
A little dramatic in your comparison!! You can get a nice 22 SV 4X4 for $35,500. If the dealer screws anyone buying a 2022, its their fault. Market adjustment can be negotiated or just walk and go to another dealer.
You wanted a fully loaded 22 pro 4x then, yeah shell out $45,000m but at least compare model to model!
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little dramatic in your comparison!! You can get a nice 22 SV 4X4 for $35,500. If the dealer screws anyone buying a 2022, its their fault. Market adjustment can be negotiated or just walk and go to another dealer.
You wanted a fully loaded 22 pro 4x then, yeah shell out $45,000m but at least compare model to model!
View attachment 337142
No doubt you can find them close to MSRP but the statement about the dealer screwing anyone is exactly our point. If I could have actually (in my state at the time I bought my truck) bought a 22 for the same price then obviously I would have, it’s a no brainer. But if people are paying $40k plus for a 22 SV then the dealer is not going to lower their price. My 21 was $33k, and no way a 22 in my area was going for less than $40k at that time.

All good though. I’m sure they’re worth it 👊. I just didn’t see the advantages being that much greater for $10k.

·
Registered
144 Posts
No doubt you can find them close to MSRP but the statement about the dealer screwing anyone is exactly our point. If I could have actually (in my state at the time I bought my truck) bought a 22 for the same price then obviously I would have, it’s a no brainer. But if people are paying $40k plus for a 22 SV then the dealer is not going to lower their price. My 21 was $33k, and no way a 22 in my area was going for less than $40k at that time.

All good though. I’m sure they’re worth it 👊. I just didn’t see the advantages being that much greater for $10k.
the markup is crazy. When they first started rolling off the trucks and dealers only got 2, its still robbery calling it a "market adjustment". Of course, the first ones here were pro4x's, and they sold as soon as they came off the truck. Next shipment was where they started marking up to $5K over.

Now, dealers here have 10 to 12 Frontiers on the lots, so the "market adjustment" is not justified (not that it ever was).

Best logic is that is a dealer is playing that game with plenty of Frontiers on the lot, walk away. There will be another dealer close by. Honestly, a dealer would be stupid to let anyone walk away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyway back to what this post is about, congrats! The truck looks awesome drive and enjoy hows the updated engine pretty peppy ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Engine and 9 speed transmission seem to be working good together. A bit of rough shifts in the beginning, but that seems to be better with a little break-in time. when it gets past 6th, I can hardly tell its shifting, let alone knowing which gear its in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Engine and 9 speed transmission seem to be working good together. A bit of rough shifts in the beginning, but that seems to be better with a little break-in time. when it gets past 6th, I can hardly tell its shifting, let alone knowing which gear its in.
Sweet I have a 2018 and I’m curious what the in the old engine feels like vs this new one with extra ponies

·
Premium Member
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
211 Posts
There's a TSB and update that makes a big difference, at least it did on mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Anyway back to what this post is about, congrats! The truck looks awesome drive and enjoy hows the updated engine pretty peppy ?
Lol and another high jacking yet again by a 22 poster. 60+ posts in 4 days, lol dude is doing work. Is this a common problem on here lol?

But Thanks! They feel great. Like the other guy with the 22 said, some rough shifting (specifically when slowing to a stop you can feel down shifting), but in a weird way it makes it feel like an actual truck and not a commuter vehicle lol. I’m only at 2,700 miles so I’m sure it’ll smoothen out.
Accelerating feels really good with the 9 speed. The ladder gears are really crisp. And coming from a performance car background it feels pretty darn good for what it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There's a TSB and update that makes a big difference, at least it did on mine.
thanks for mentioning that! I just found the thread on it and I’ll definitely be mentioning it when I schedule my first service appointment 👊

·
Registered
15 Posts
i too just got a 21 4x4 cc longbed with 32miles. i couldnt justify the markup for the 22. between 6-10k. It was the same engine. Sold my dodge 2018 promaster camper.. Already bought my suspension lift and its on its way. I couldnt be more happier.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts