Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2017 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X king cab with the manual 6 speed and I gotta say I love this truck.I am a courier and have done this job just shy of 20 years now.In that time I have gone through 3 Ford Rangers as well as a Chevy Tracker as well as a Toyota Camry/Chevy Sprint/Hyundai Accent/VW Golf and most recently I got rid of a Jeep Compass that was turning into a money pit.

I put on 60,000 kilometers a year on average and I have high expectations for this truck.One of the reasons I opted for it is because another guy who works for my company bought a new Nissan Frontier in 2005 and he is still driving it to this day.That says tough bones to me.I really like the 6 speed manual as it ladders from 2nd through 4th and into 6th so nicely.It is a like a Buck Rogers spaceship compared to that beaten down Jeep I was driving.I have already ordered a paint matched canopy locally and I splurged on a chrome bull bar and NERF bars on Ebay as well as window visors.I love this truck so much I am pimping it out right off the bat as I know I will own it for a long time and will happily spend the money to keep it running proper.

Hope this is not to long of an intro.

Andrew

Reactions: jwp1964

·
Registered
338 Posts
Welcome! Mighty fine vehicle you chose. Just curious with all the driving you do why you didn't go with a 4 cylinder? Not enough power for you? The MPG's on the V6 are not the greatest and 60,000km is going to cost some money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome! Mighty fine vehicle you chose. Just curious with all the driving you do why you didn't go with a 4 cylinder? Not enough power for you? The MPG's on the V6 are not the greatest and 60,000km is going to cost some money.[/QUOTE

I prefer a 4 cylinder with a manual but the only options for a 4 cylinder Frontier had Automatics.Yeah they were King Cab but not 4X4.Truth be told I test drove the truck on a whim as I had a delivery to an Audi dealership a stones throw away and I had some down time.I test drove it and I loved it.Got pulled over by a cop on the test drive as he could not see the dealer plate and he said I should buy the truck as it was really nice.My mind was already made up.Whilst I do prefer an inline 4 the V6 and it gutsy use of those 261 ponies via the 6 speed manual is a lot of fun and it is nice to have the power when you need it.

Fuel consumption wise the V6 will be a bit more than the 2.5 automatic that the Jeep had but at the same time I get paid a fuel surcharge on every call I deliver and my fuel is a tax write off in general.I came out ahead with regards to fuel used and the fuel surcharge with the Jeep and I think I will still do so with the new Nissan with the V6.

When I bought the new truck I encouraged "truck envy" in a friend of mine and he bought a new Ram Rebel this past weekend.Sadly though some dirtbag KEYED the hood of his brand new truck this morning and he does not even have 1000 KM on the odometer.

My bull bar as well as the window visors have been delivered to the freight forwarder in Montana and the nerf bars should be delivered a week from now.I will pick them up June 3rd and fully bling up this wicked Buck Rogers spaceship of a truck...only thing I need after that is a remote starter.

Andrew

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome aboard! I have the exact same truck and color but a crew cab. Get that bull bar on so I can see it ::wink::

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here you go sir

Welcome aboard! I have the exact same truck and color but a crew cab. Get that bull bar on so I can see it ::wink::
I picked up the bull bar yesterday as well as the nerf bars and the window visors from At The Border storage in Sweetgrass Montana.I bought some payday bars and other assorted junk food that we cant buy in Canada and then I headed back to Lethbridge.Line up at the border going back was a bit long but got worse after I was in line.I ended up paying no duty/taxes etc as they just waived me through when I said I had no tobacco/alcohol or guns.An hour later I got to my friends place and off we go to play a round of golf.Got back to his place and enjoyed a couple of beers and we got down to installing the bull bar.Had to remove the tow hook and the lower air dam which also required to have a couple of slots cut out.All told it took 40 minutes and we were done.Looks damn fine is all I can say.I got it off Ebay for $103 and it included shipping to anywhere in the lower 48 states hence the road trip.The Ebay seller is GT_Racers and the product it made in China.The EXACT same bull bar locally would have cost me $450 + taxes.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice. A long term review would be interesting after you have had this a couple years. you will put as many miles on it in three years as mine has after ten.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
I picked up the bull bar yesterday as well as the nerf bars and the window visors from At The Border storage in Sweetgrass Montana.I bought some payday bars and other assorted junk food that we cant buy in Canada and then I headed back to Lethbridge.Line up at the border going back was a bit long but got worse after I was in line.I ended up paying no duty/taxes etc as they just waived me through when I said I had no tobacco/alcohol or guns.An hour later I got to my friends place and off we go to play a round of golf.Got back to his place and enjoyed a couple of beers and we got down to installing the bull bar.Had to remove the tow hook and the lower air dam which also required to have a couple of slots cut out.All told it took 40 minutes and we were done.Looks damn fine is all I can say.I got it off Ebay for $103 and it included shipping to anywhere in the lower 48 states hence the road trip.The Ebay seller is GT_Racers and the product it made in China.The EXACT same bull bar locally would have cost me $450 + taxes.

Andrew
Love the look of the bull bar. I'd love one, but I commute A LOT of miles and I all about miles per gallon. So, I'd be afraid I'd lose an mpg or two on the highway. Silly probably, but that's me. Still, that looks great!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice. A long term review would be interesting after you have had this a couple years. you will put as many miles on it in three years as mine has after ten.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thus far I have 9500 kilometers on the new truck.I got an oil change last week and I got the nerf bars installed on saturday.I am supposed to get my matching canopy this week.Once I do I will post pics or start a new thread.I did see the guy today who ran a Frontier as his work truck and he said he clocked 450K on it as a courier and his was a 2004.Right now he needs some front end work done.

Andrew

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Latest update

I just past 61,000 kilometers this week so my factory bumper to bumper warranty is up.No problems at all with the truck.A couple months back I knew my air filter needed replacing so I splurged on a high performance K&N filter.In hindsight I wish I had had the dealership swap the tires for different ones as the stock Hankook trail tires just got chewed through by the time winter rolled around and I think I have 35% tread left on them.I absolutely love the 4X4 system on the truck.Totally wicked traction and I have not even had to lock up the rear differential yet.The manual transmission is a joy for driving.

As for using this truck as a courier it is the finest vehicle I have ever owned.With the canopy installed I have rarely had freight I could not fit on and the power and torque from that 4 litre engine makes heavy loads a breeze.

I am nothing but happy with the purchase of this Frontier.

Andrew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts