Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Under my hood of my V6 Frontier there is not room to install an additional battery and yes I do know about the mods that some people have done well I am not willing to re-orient anything underneath my hood in order to get a battery in there, so here is my question I run several emergency lights which are all LED lights and I was wondering if I used this solely to power the LED lights and then of course I had it hooked up to charge every single time I turn on my ignition would this work as a second battery supply (strictly for the LED lights) for any sustained amount of time say anywhere between one hour to twelve hours at a time?

I already own this, and I was going to have this as my jumper pack but decided to shelf it and buy a full-size jumper pack, I am just wondering if this would be a good idea since this is so much smaller than a full size battery and way easier to place in my vehicle say under the seat or behind the rear seat or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I don’t think so. Probably better off using your battery and if it goes dead use your starter pack.
You can try and see if it does work,though.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The Frontier's original battery is rated for around 60 amp-hours.

The "18,000 mAH" battery you're considering is only 18 amp-hours.

That's not much of an enhancement!

Note that upgrading the original battery is another option (example here) - No battery relocation or other major mods required.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see what you guys are saying but I don’t think I am conveying what I am trying to tell you directly or maybe I’m not interpreting what you were saying correctly let me explain what I want to do is have my emergency lights on for 1 to 12 hours at a time and not have it drain my battery more importantly I don’t want to go start my truck and it just barely crank over, and I have to have a jumpstart it. If the emergency lights die that is OK I can always start the vehicle back up and let it charge that thing back up but it can’t happen the other way at least not with a easy transition.

I hope I explained it better but if you guys still don’t think it’s a good idea then I won’t do it

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
Have you considered.
Locating a battery box in the bed, run power wires to the the lights and to the main electrical system. add a relay to isolate the aux battery when the engine is off. This way the lights dont draw power from the main battery unless the engine is running.
I would throw in a fusable link or big fuse for protection too. Maybe a couple deep cycle marine batteries.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
what I want to do is have my emergency lights on for 1 to 12 hours at a time and not have it drain my battery
Sounds like what you really need is a Low Voltage Disconnect.

You could set it to disconnect your lights as soon as your current battery drops to approx. 50 percent of full charge (which occurs at around 12.2 volts) - That'll still leave you with 50 percent of your battery charge remaining to start your engine.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I had the information on how much draw the lights took that would work, but how do I determine that as there is nothing on the lights that state the draw.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Or, you could whip out your DMM, set it for DC Amps, and actually measure it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts