Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a couple old threads on here but does anyone know what changed in 2018? There is a Hypertech speedometer calibration tool for the '18 and '19 Frontier but I'm questioning if this'll work for a 2016. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
212 Posts
I know there are a couple old threads on here but does anyone know what changed in 2018? There is a Hypertech speedometer calibration tool for the '18 and '19 Frontier but I'm questioning if this'll work for a 2016. Thoughts?
So far the 2016 factory service manual has matched my 2019 truck perfectly. Can’t speak to if the gauge connector changed but I doubt it.

I have the hyper tech on mine, works great. I’d say order it and try to install it. Worst case return it and lose a few bucks on shipping.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Aftermarket manufacturers sometimes just list vehicles that they were able to test and verify themselves.

·
Registered
2009 Pro4x, Bilstein Tswap, Coastal Bumpers, 35" Milestar Pats
257 Posts
So far the 2016 factory service manual has matched my 2019 truck perfectly. Can’t speak to if the gauge connector changed but I doubt it.

I have the hyper tech on mine, works great. I’d say order it and try to install it. Worst case return it and lose a few bucks on shipping.
You can adjust your speedo?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes. I made a thread on here about it and a FB post.
Its messed up. I contacted Hypertech and they say it won't work. Wish they would test on other vehicles so they can have their facts straight. They said the electronics probably changed but I highly doubt they changed how the speedo functions mid generation

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
212 Posts
Its messed up. I contacted Hypertech and they say it won't work. Wish they would test on other vehicles so they can have their facts straight. They said the electronics probably changed but I highly doubt they changed how the speedo functions mid generation
I'd just buy one to try and return it if it doesn't work, although I guess that's expensive to do in Canada. I ordered from Hoonigan. Mine is plugged in and set to 0% correction factor, speedo has never given the slightest issue at all, you'd think it was 100% stock. I got mine so that I can correct it if I ever regear, which I likely will. Tire size will probably never change but just in case it does I have it for that too.

Is your gauge cluster the same as a later model PRO-4X? I'm guessing they never tested it. I also would highly doubt that Nissan would have changed it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'd just buy one to try and return it if it doesn't work, although I guess that's expensive to do in Canada. I ordered from Hoonigan. Mine is plugged in and set to 0% correction factor, speedo has never given the slightest issue at all, you'd think it was 100% stock. I got mine so that I can correct it if I ever regear, which I likely will. Tire size will probably never change but just in case it does I have it for that too.

Is your gauge cluster the same as a later model PRO-4X? I'm guessing they never tested it. I also would highly doubt that Nissan would have changed it.
I believe it is the same as the newer ones. I just wish I could find for $40 like someone above did

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
212 Posts
I believe it is the same as the newer ones. I just wish I could find for $40 like someone above did
That will be tough for sure, I don't really know of anyone with one besides myself. I know rough country sells one but the warranty isn't as good. Not sure how much that matters. They list it for the same years, I'm pretty sure it is a direct copy right off of Hypertech.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I checked mine against my Garmin GPS and it’s exactly one (1) mph off. The speedo indicates 1 mph more than the correct speed per the gps.

The 1 mph holds true up to 80 mph, which is faster than I typically drive. If I go up in tire size I’ll recheck it. Otherwise I can live with the 1 mph and do the math in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
257 Posts
I checked mine against my Garmin GPS and it’s exactly one (1) mph off. The speedo indicates 1 mph more than the correct speed per the gps.

The 1 mph holds true up to 80 mph, which is faster than I typically drive. If I go up in tire size I’ll recheck it. Otherwise I can live with the 1 mph and do the math in my mind.

What size tires are you running?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Stock sized tires...why are you running a Hypertech speedo calibrator?
I’m not running a Hypertech.

Go back and read my earlier post, please.

Basically, I don’t see a need for things like Hypertech if someone has a basic phone app like Waze and can do simple arithmetic in their head.

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
212 Posts
I’m not running a Hypertech.

Go back and read my earlier post, please.

Basically, I don’t see a need for things like Hypertech if someone has a basic phone app like Waze and can do simple arithmetic in their head.

What about people who are off by more than your 1 mph and who want their speedo and odometer mileage to be correct? The math and not speeding most can handle, but people more perfectionist oriented want it to work properly. The OEM 1-2mph off isn’t part of that. Bigger tires with larger disparities are where most want/need to fix it. Obviously they can still do the math, but anybody asking how to correct their speedo is pretty obviously not interested in that because they’re doing that already.

The only reason I’m running a HT on stock stuff is because I’m planning a regear in the future.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
What about people who are off by more than your 1 mph and who want their speedo and odometer mileage to be correct? The math and not speeding most can handle, but people more perfectionist oriented want it to work properly. The OEM 1-2mph off isn’t part of that. Bigger tires with larger disparities are where most want/need to fix it. Obviously they can still do the math, but anybody asking how to correct their speedo is pretty obviously not interested in that because they’re doing that already.

The only reason I’m running a HT on stock stuff is because I’m planning a regear in the future.
Point taken. And please note that I don’t see Hypertech or to not Hypertech as a moral (I.e., hill to die on) issue. It’s just a tool that offers a way to address a question. No doubt I spend money in places others would consider wasteful. Eh?

At the related point of tire size and odometer reading, I would still argue one needs to check against a reference such as GPS to assure accurate miles traveled over the terrain. Otherwise the fuel mileage calculation is inaccurate.

I suppose we all work out our perfectionist tendencies in various ways…

·
Registered
257 Posts

Just by reading your first sentence in a topic about using the Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator, you said "I checked mine again a GPS...". That suggests you checked yours(Hypertech) vs a GPS to anyone who is following a thread, so that's where the confusion started.

We are on stock gears, with 35s, about to regear. We can do the math but who would want to when you can have a properly functioning odometer.

I think I am going to give this a shot. Thanks for the info fella. Will confirm they have a strong return policy first ;)

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
212 Posts
Point taken. And please note that I don’t see Hypertech or to not Hypertech as a moral (I.e., hill to die on) issue. It’s just a tool that offers a way to address a question. No doubt I spend money in places others would consider wasteful. Eh?

At the related point of tire size and odometer reading, I would still argue one needs to check against a reference such as GPS to assure accurate miles traveled over the terrain. Otherwise the fuel mileage calculation is inaccurate.

I suppose we all work out our perfectionist tendencies in various ways…

Agreed, not that big of a deal.

As for the mileage deal, as soon as I can regear I will be able to make that confirmation. I could honestly do it now by driving a certain distance, reprogramming the calibrator, and seeing if that distance is different on the next drive. I don’t see why the odometer wouldn’t change, it should be based off the corrected or non corrected speedo. But maybe for some reason it isn’t.

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
212 Posts
Just by reading your first sentence in a topic about using the Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator, you said "I checked mine again a GPS...". That suggests you checked yours(Hypertech) vs a GPS to anyone who is following a thread, so that's where the confusion started.

We are on stock gears, with 35s, about to regear. We can do the math but who would want to when you can have a properly functioning odometer.

I think I am going to give this a shot. Thanks for the info fella. Will confirm they have a strong return policy first ;)

if you want to save money since Canada, maybe go for the cheaper rough country unit. It’s supposedly the same thing as hyper tech, software and all. Just a different color and less warranty. I don’t know how true that is, never seen the internals of both to compare. I can only confirm that the hyper tech version works well personally but I hear the RC is fine too.

I still don’t know if it’ll work on your 09 since it says 18-19 but I truly don’t believe anything would have changed since your cluster looks identical to all the other PRO-4Xs including mine. I think they just didn’t test it on many years.

If you look at this pic from my setup process, it says 05-11 and 18-19. Not sure but seems like it can definitely work for an 09. Not sure if the wiring harness that comes in the 18-19 kit works on the 09 as well or not. I could not find an actual 05-11 kit to buy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts